Grunts Irish music Hootenanny

blind boy grunt

1 hour ago, blind boy grunt said:

and of course, it had to come sooner or later; The Dubliners with Seven Drunken Nights.

Incidentally it was banned by the national broadcaster at the time of its release. Thank god, pun intended, that catholic church stranglehold over the country is a thing of the past for the most part these days.  
https://www.irishcentral.com/culture/craic/dubliners-seven-drunken-nights-banned-rte 

52 minutes ago, bumblebee said:

Incidentally it was banned by the national broadcaster at the time of its release. Thank god, pun intended, that catholic church stranglehold over the country is a thing of the past for the most part these days.  

always have suspected that Father Ted can be thanked for that... and the horror of child abuse of course.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 1:19 PM, blind boy grunt said:

always have suspected that Father Ted can be thanked for that... and the horror of child abuse of course.

Father Ted definitely took the piss out of the church, coinciding with all the abuse that was revealed in the 90s and onwards.  It’s a different place today, particularly in urban areas which are quite secular for the most part.  

okay, continuing my quest to win the Romscar's honorary Irishman of the year award should there be one, and if it hasn't already been given to Kendo for his exploits.

I don't know but suspect that Kendo may once have appeared on British T.V in as a leprechaun in a Christmas Pantomine, therefore advancing the cause of Leprechaun mongering in Thailand. So, he could be a deserved winner. I do like to be fair.

I got to thinking that all this talk of Father Ted may be a little meaningless to some people. I do believe that a certain acquaintance of mine who i will not Quinn... ooops! i mean name. Has never seen an episode, I suspect that some of you American chappies might not be too familiar with the series either, but could be wrong i admit. So, here's an episode for your delectation. Quite the funniest programme to ever appear on British television. All 3 series are on Youtube.

• Like 1

"Wild Mountain Thyme" (also known as "Purple Heather" and "Will Ye Go, Lassie, Go?") is a Scottish/Irish folk song. Popularised in the late 50's - early 60's by the McPeake family of Belfast who played many of the folk clubs around the UK. It became a sort of tradition in the clubs that everyone would join in this 'singalong' as a closure to the evening. Alternatively it would be 'Leadbelly's "Good Night Irene" - "I'll get you in my dreams" our local folk hero Tony Capstick would insist. ! I never initiated the singalong at the club I ran but would leave it to the final performer to do. However I was once dragged up on stage to join other singers in the finale. This was at a club where I'd played a half hour spot. The club was run by an Irish guy on the Island of Crete - I went back the following week but it had been replaced by a disco. ! Versions of this song run into a cast of thousands - the good, bad and the tedious. I like this version by Bert Jansch - giving a hard edge to it.

• Like 2

The 'Toe Tapper' for today is 'The Minstrel Boy'. An Irish patriotic song written by Thomas Moore (1779–1852) who set it to the melody of 'The Moreen', an old Irish air. Once again recorded by thousands. The version here is by Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros - used in the movie 'Black Hawk Down'. 'ere - Joe Strummer main man from The Clash ? Yes indeedy. Ahem ahem - I once met Joe - way back in 1975 at a pub gig (Black Swan in Sheffield). He was fronting a band called the '101'ers' and they played a great set - a mix of rock, rockabilly etc etc. With my chums we got talking to Joe after the gig and he was a pleasant guy. Passed round his bottle of whisky - top feller. A year later at the same pub 'The Clash' played their first gig. I wasn't there. Fast forward to December 2002 - I had just landed at 'Swampy' in Bangkok on my way back from Vietnam. Passing a news stand I spotted the 'Bangkok Post' and a single paragraph - 2 inch story announcing 'Joe Strummer Dead'. I was shocked and stunned. ! Gone way too early. ! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Quinn said:

Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros - used in the movie 'Black Hawk Down'. 'ere - Joe Strummer main man from The Clash ? Yes indeedy. Ahem ahem - I once met Joe - way back in 1975 at a pub gig (Black Swan in Sheffield). He was fronting a band called the '101'ers' and they played a great set - a mix of rock, rockabilly etc etc. With my chums we got talking to Joe after the gig and he was a pleasant guy. Passed round his bottle of whisky - top feller. A year later at the same pub 'The Clash' played their first gig. I wasn't there.

Oh man. I'm envious.  A true hero. He was the real deal.

I got to see the Clash twice, my second favorite band ever,  but a bit late.  They were jaded and ready to move on.  Strummer and Jones didn't talk to eachother at the time. 2nd gig ,Strummer all dressed in white with a cool mohawk, and they did open with London Calling, fuck me it was tough, but nothing like my friends who caught their first gig here in 1978. They say that gig was life changing.

I did meet Mick Jones when Big Audio Dynamite opened up for U2 (heres the irish connection to stay OT) in 1987. He was walking down the street drinking a can of beer. He took his time, chatted to us and gave us autographs. Real cool cat.

• Like 2

Trying to stay on topic. Another fav of mine is Steve Earle. He's been married like 20 times and lived in Ireland. One of his wives was Alison Moorer, I believe this song is about her. Seen him live countless times , various quality depending on his addiction. His first tour outside the US was right after Guitar Town album release in 1987. He played Hard Rock Cafe with about 20 people in the audience. Great gig. He was enormously happy someone in this part of the world even knew of him, he talked us afterwards and signed a Guitar Town t-shirt. I still have it. Got to see him in 1995 ,alone acoustic tour, lots of storytelling, and that was another highlight of my concert goings.

This one is by no means one of his best songs , but it is OT, but please delete if you wish to, no pombem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seven said:

Trying to stay on topic. Another fav of mine is Steve Earle. He's been married like 20 times and lived in Ireland

never worry about off topic stuff seven, i don't mind at all, unless Dolly Parton gets posted.. I think Quinn likes Steve Earle... maybe cos he's been married about 20 times too....

• Haha 1

The Foggy Dew - Sinéad O’Connor & The Chieftains. "Foggy Dew" is the name of several Irish ballads, and of an Irish lament. The song chronicles the Easter Rising of 1916, and encourages Irishmen to fight for the cause of Ireland, rather than for the British Empire, as so many young men were doing in World War I.

• Like 3

McAlpine's Fusiliers is an Irish ballad set to a traditional air, popularised in the early 1960s by Dominic Behan (not written by him as he often claimed). The song relates to the migration of Irish labourers from Ireland to Britain during the 20th century. The ballad's title refers to the eponymous construction company of Sir Robert McAlpine, a major employer of Irish workmen at the time. This I think is one of the better versions as - lyrics included - so you can 'sing a long'.

• Like 2

Mary Coughlan. The Magdalene Laundry

The Magdalene Laundries in Ireland, also known as Magdalene asylums, were institutions usually run by Roman Catholic orders, which operated from the 18th to the late 20th centuries. They were run ostensibly to house "fallen women", an estimated 30,000 of whom were confined in these institutions in Ireland. In 1993, unmarked graves of 155 women were uncovered in the convent grounds of one of the laundries.[1][2] This led to media revelations about the operations of the secretive institutions. A formal state apology was issued in 2013, and a £50 million compensation scheme for survivors was set up by the Irish Government. The religious orders which operated the laundries have rejected activist demands that they financially contribute to this programme.[3]

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Quinn said:

The Magdalene Laundries in Ireland

Fascinating.   Society might very well be better off with more Prostitutes and less Priests!   Perhaps it is the Nuns who need to be rehabilitated and allowed to fulfill  their natural desires.

• Like 1