Grunts Irish music Hootenanny

blind boy grunt

Like the bagpipes, Irish musiccan make me sad, wistful and happy. I'm an amalgam of Scots and Irish with a little Pom thrown in. 

Funny how isolation affects the mind, a certain song keeps going around in your head for weeks. Lately it's been Whiskey in the Jar. Thanks for bringing it all back, mates.

Dunno if we'll ever get back to LOS, the way things are.

:nea:

• Like 2

Not heard this version before Quinn, actually quite a good rendition.  Kildare is the next county west from me.  Here is a tune about my neck of the woods by Christy Moore.  Karl in Ezy bar used to stick it on at silly o clock when he thought I might be leaving, to make me stay for another one or more .

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, blind boy grunt said:

Lakes of Ponchartrain by that excellent band... Hothouse flowers.

many versions of this song on YT, including Dylan's live adaptation.

The best-known versions of the song use the tune for "Lily of the West", especially the recordings by the Irish traditional musical group Planxty on Cold Blow and the Rainy Night in 1974 where they give Mike Waterson as their source, and by the Irish musician and songwriter (and sometime member of Planxty) Paul Brady on Welcome Here Kind Stranger in 1978. The 2002 release of a live recording of the songs from the aforementioned album, entitled The Missing Liberty Tapes, preserves a solo rendition of "The Lakes of Pontchartrain" from Brady's 1978 concert at Liberty Hall in Dublin. A new recording of "The Lakes of Pontchartrain" appears on his 1999 album Nobody Knows: The Best of Paul Brady. Brady has also recorded an Irish-language version of the song, as "Bruach Loch Pontchartrain", translated by Francie Mooney. Planxty member Christy Moore later recorded the song for his 1983 solo album The Time Has Come.

• Like 1

The first vid just makes it through the 'Irish Folky Door' as it was recorded in County Clare. Carl Barat (who he you may ask) is the sparring partner of Pete Docherty of the band 'Babyshambles/Libertines'. My chum and ex business partner appears in the film as 'the father' - baldy head and bushy beard. He's appeared in many TV movies usually playing an Irish drunk or corpse - as in 'The Whitechapel Murders' with Dublin standing in for victorian London. We had a Saddlery/Leather workshop in the UK for over 5 years but I had to move on and thanks to that bitch Thatcher got a job back in the print trade. My chum followed his dream and went to live in Ireland - play his banjo and drink Guinness - both of them badly. ! The village where he lives in County Clare is 'Lisdoonvarna' - Famous for it's yearly event of 'Matchmaking' - nothing to do with 'Swan Vestas' - but single people seeking other singles. The town of some 800 people swells to over 40,000 at this event. There used to be a music festival but this was discontinued in 1983 when the event was marred by a riot and the accidental drowning of 8 people. (You coudn't make this up). Anyway back to the music - Christy Moore (him again) wrote a song called ---- "Lisdoonvarna' Phew !

• Like 3

"Blackwaterside" - Bert Jansch (Scottish) and Anne Briggs (English). Irish/Scottish Ballad. First heard Anne Briggs sing in 1962 in Nottingham - her home town -at a concert (Centre 42) arranged by the playwright Arnold Wesker. This launched her onto the folk scene in the UK. Always very well received but she never fully committed herself to the whole 'movement'. In fact after about 5 years she more or less disappeared emerging occasionaly - travelling round Ireland and Scotland - also joining up with Andy Irvine and his band 'Sweeneys Men'. Around 1965 when I was running a Folk/Blues Club - I had booked Martin Carthy - who in fact turned up with Dave Swarbrick (later of Fairport Convention) and Anne Briggs. A memorable night. One of the 'perks' of running a club apart from booking the artistes, getting the room ready, organising the musicians - is finding the main turn somewhere to stay (usually someones floor in those days) so the 3 of them all crashed at my place - a small attic flat. Quite a few of Berts recordings of 'Blackwaterside' on You Tube - his superb baroque style of tuning and playing learnt from Davey Graham. The tune emerged years later recorded by a popular 'Beat Combo' but now called 'Black Mountain Side' which they promptly copyrighted. !

• Like 4

The weeks before xmas 2014 I was regularly attending Physiotherapy for my broken arm in Bangkok Pattaya Hospital.  The therapist had told me it would take a while to get it back to regular use, a long road ahead I thought before I get home.  As I came out of a session one morning, a movie about Ireland was just finishing up on the screen in the waiting area.  This appropriate song played along with the credits and brought a smile to my face, yep that sums up my predicament I mused.

• Like 1