Soi Chaiyapoon watch

duke007

1 hour ago, BigTel said:

I remember you and I being given 50% off our drinks at one occasion we were there at the venue thanks to your friend Dave who arranged it for us. Fantastic night and a really great show.  :drinks:   

It certainly was amogo, and the 50% discount off our drinks was a lovely gesture by Dave B)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pdoggg said:

Also named Dave is the owner of Cantebury Tales accross the soi from Chow Soy. Unfortunately he is not in the best of health.

I know Canterbury Dave pretty well, also had a lot of fun staying there a few times n the past, a  great guy and so I have booked to stay there again for the Nostalgia later this year, looking forward to more chinwags with the big fella B)

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 8:19 AM, bumblebee said:

Ah how could I forget a name like that…555.  The staff were always friendly also, ya got me reminiscing tonight now.

I used to hang out at Seaside Restaurant just about on the opposite side of the road. Good meals. Sadly, just after Covid started and the end at that time for my trips, the girl who more often than not not used to serve me was killed on her motorbike while taking her kid to school. Very sad. Reminiscing does that to you. I was told about it by Brett who sadly is not with us anymore. I used to call him most lunch times while gorging on potato chips. Both of us had a liking for them. I know life goes on but there are some people you just need to have back.

On the same note. The other day I was going through my phone contacts. Six of them are no longer with us. I will leave them in the phone for old times sake. How morose!.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/29/2022 at 3:49 PM, duke007 said:

Shame one of my old haunts is Up for Sale, have very happy memories of this place both upstairs and downstairs :spiteful:

Screenshot_20220729-154325_WhatsApp.jpg

Great News, I have just read from a very reliable source that the Chow Soy has been bought from former Scottish owner  Dave by a fellow Scotsman named Richard. B)

Over the next 6 weeks there will be a major refurbishment of the restaurant, kitchen and upstairs accommodation. 

He does not forsee major changes on the menu and he will be keeping on all of the current Staff. :good:

The Chow Soy will be renamed, which is yet to be decided. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Canterbury-Tales-pic-2_w.jpg.089c6714af2bf296b98c6cd2d26bee3c.jpg

IMG_20220922_140406.jpg

IMG_20220922_140346.jpg

Once the pandemic subsided, we were keen to move from Pattaya’s Soi Pothole,” says Dave Collier who set up Canterbury Tales with his energetic wife Yao in 2004. Over the years, the second-hand and exchange bookshop has become the city’s principal literary depository as well as a favorite daytime “table of knowledge” – a mainly British expat corner for drinking tea, socializing and keeping abreast of the local news.

But Soi Pothole, officially Soi Chaiyapoon, is an increasingly noisy street with new bars playing loud music reopening as tourism rebounds. Dave and Yao are now open for business in Soi Bongkot (near Soi 6/3) in much larger premises which resemble a library to accommodate tens of thousands of volumes. “It’s about 60 percent non-fiction, but we have a large selection of true crime, biographies, sports, classics and even erotica,” promises Dave as a customer asks if there is a copy of Suetonius’ twelve lives of the Caesars. “Yes, second shelf on the left,” he says. “It’s randy stuff you know.”

Many have pondered why Dave has made a success of a used book business in Pattaya where so many other foreigners have failed. “Hard work really.” he says, “From day one I advertised widely, used the internet and made personal contacts.” He adds that, although Pattaya has changed a lot in the last 10 years, the business has grown and grown. “We ship and receive books all over Thailand, using Kerry Express, thus proving there’s a ready market if you know how to satisfy it.”

The new place doesn’t have rooms to rent as Dave wants less responsibility. Since 2013 he has suffered from a muscle-wasting disease, inclusive body myositis, which keeps him wheelchair-bound. “Shit happens,” he admits philosophically, “but the business is my key interest and I’m very fortunate to have the support of a loving and efficient wife.” In his spare time, Dave is writing a book The Gamekeeper, a fictionalized account of his early life in UK as a gamekeeper (no less) and a voluntary prison visitor linked to his work with the Samaritans.

The name Canterbury Tales does indeed take its cue from Geoffrey Chaucer’s 24 medieval stories about assorted pilgrims on their way from London to Canterbury. Not to mention that Dave himself was born in the cathedral city in the heart of Kent. “One of the delights of Chaucer’s book is to read the many ways in which fourteenth century pilgrims were determined to have a fun time. The similarities with Pattaya are remarkable.” Dave is available on 086 575 4966.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Soju said:

This is/was an excellent used bookshop and well worth a visit... hope the new location has the same ambiance.

1 hour ago, Laawman said:

I was wondering if it was a mistake on Google maps - apparently not.

Although quite close to Soi Pothole, having to cross 3rd Road by either foot or bike is a real pain especially if drunk at night.   The Soi Bongkot area has quite a few gentleman's clubs, massage shops, restaurants, and the CCR condo has reasonably priced yearly rents.   

7 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Although quite close to Soi Pothole, having to cross 3rd Road by either foot or bike is a real pain especially if drunk at night.   The Soi Bongkot area has quite a few gentleman's clubs, massage shops, restaurants, and the CCR condo has reasonably priced yearly rents.   

If you're a betting man, CCR is also within spitting distance of Sisters.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, in April last year, I visited the "Lucky Diamond" bar in Soi Chaiyapoon, a little further up the street than Delirious (coming from Buakhao), also at the l.h.s.

Don't know whether it were all ladyboys working there, but at least for one I can confirm for 100% :rolleye0012:  Quite small bar, with ST rooms upstairs.

Does someone on the ground know whether this bar is still there, or closed the doors already? 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Pulci Gorgon said:

17 ซอย เฉลิมพระเกียรติ 25 - Google Maps

This should be the place. Photo is dated Feb 2022.

Doubt it PG. In April 2022 it was called ' Lucky Diamond', and I had the idea that it wasn't that close to the end of the street. But then again, it's 1,5 years and many, many drinks ago :biggrin: ... so maybe it is