Travel Insurance (Covid 19)

Fenton

I suppose as usual most insurance companies will have to many pay outs if it goes tits up again and loose to much money, I never took out travel insurance before covid,  with covid it may be a good call to do so if the price was ok.

I always thought all airlines had some fine print in the rule book saying " This flight may be cancelled at any time " , it did happen to me some years ago, ticket in hand and then " sorry flight is cancelled you can rebook for tomorrow " . Some people had insurance but it only covered them for missing luggage. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, stoolpusher said:

I suppose as usual most insurance companies will have to many pay outs if it goes tits up again and loose to much money, I never took out travel insurance before covid,  with covid it may be a good call to do so if the price was ok.

I always thought all airlines had some fine print in the rule book saying " This flight may be cancelled at any time " , it did happen to me some years ago, ticket in hand and then " sorry flight is cancelled you can rebook for tomorrow " . Some people had insurance but it only covered them for missing luggage. 

It depends on the quality of the cover SP. 

A few years ago, I was due to fly out to the PI. Two days before wheels up, my father passed away.

Had travel insurance. But jesus christ the hoops I had to jump through to get my money back.

A doctors letter, I provided them with that and a letter from his consultant, along with a death certificate.

Then they wanted information from the airline that I had not boarded the flight.

It went on for months. 

After reading, if your destination country goes to Red, they will not pay out for covid treatment or will be reduced cover. So any UK citizen in the Phuket sandbox or Samui is fecked now with regards to Travel Insurance.

• Like 3

There are (at least) two distinct issues here.  The first is finding a good company that will reimburse you for covid related expenses.  The second is procuring a policy that prominently states the amount of covid coverage required by Thailand so that you can get into the Land of Smiles.

18 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

There are (at least) two distinct issues here.  The first is finding a good company that will reimburse you for covid related expenses.  The second is procuring a policy that prominently states the amount of covid coverage required by Thailand so that you can get into the Land of Smiles.

Its a grey area, if you were placed in quarantine. State imposed or ASQ. 

From experiences myself and assisting BM's. You need quality insurance. Its a veritable can of worms.

A good friend of mine put in allot of research a couple years ago before his trip and went with Atlas International Basic.  You can fool around with various deductibles and policy limits to get terms that suit you.

https://quote.hccmis.com/AtlasTravel/

His primary concern was quality health coverage and wasn't concerned with flight cancellation.  Since he had some pre-existing conditions, he liked the wording of the acute onset of pre-existing conditions clause.

He was not concerned about upfront payment as long as he would eventually get reimbursed.

He actually got reimbursed for much more than he thought as outpatient was not supposed to be covered and his treatment was a combination of inpatient and outpatient with daily visits to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital after a week's stay in the hospital.  Maybe they made a mistake but he thinks they paid for much of the outpatient expense.  Perhaps the visits to BPH appeared to be inpatient.  Or maybe they believe that a fair claims department builds up a good reputation.  

He would certainly use them again.

Note, this not appear to be a great policy for a cancelled flight.  And despite Covid coverage, it may not be prominently displayed on the declaration page so that an Immigration Officer can see it depending on regulations in force at the time. 

• Like 2

Well to get round the cancelled flight, it would be back to the travel agent book your flight and hotel through them and get ATOL protection.

All I can say is booking a flight from LOS to the UK is not cheap.

These two seem good for Travel Insurance.

https://www.lv.com/travel-insurance?utm_campaign=lvtravel&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=boughtbymany&utm_content=noncashback&sourcecode=WMFC&sskey=3096234d28d54e44bb5c09c963ee22aa

https://www.columbusdirect.com/partners/

• Like 1

As it happens a friend has started his Quarantine in LOS. In the hotel there are Thais recovering from Covid. So you are at the hotel PCR test negative, during the test days what if one pops up positive. Do they drag you off to hospital or do you stay in the hotel?. More to the point would the enhanced Travel Insurance pay out in this scenario?.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fenton said:

As it happens as friend has started his Quarantine in LOS. In the hotel there are thais recovering from Covid. So you are at the hotel PCR test negative, during the test days what if one pops up positive. Do they drag you off to hospital or do you stay in the hotel?. More to the point would the enhanced Travel Insurance pay out in this scenario?.

Damn good question.

This is unfortunately another example how stupid and useless forced quarantines are.

• Like 3

On 9/3/2021 at 3:25 AM, Fenton said:

Do they drag you off to hospital or do you stay in the hotel?

Q. If I test positive for Covid-19 do I have to go to a hospital/field hospital/isolation/hospitel/etc at my expense.?
A.  Yes.  This is another roadblock for travelers knowing they would have to take multiple Covid-19 tests under current plans and that if they are positive they would have to isolate, possibly at a hospital, at their own (or insurance) expense. At 0.32 percent of Phuket sandbox tourists visiting testing positive the chance is incredibly low for vaccinated foreign tourists to do so after already testing and preparing in their own country to come, but it is possible.

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/09/03/fact-check-is-pattaya-bangkok-and-other-places-in-thailand-fully-opening-to-vaccinated-foreign-tourists-in-october/

1 hour ago, Pdoggg said:

This is another roadblock for travelers

From the start of this week already Thailand has been on the red list for UK travellers that's another Roadblock for sure as can you imagine after going through all of the hoops to take a Month holiday in Thailand then being saddled with a almost £2000 pound fee to go into quarantine on arrival back in the UK.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BigTel said:

From the start of this week already Thailand has been on the red list for UK travellers that's another Roadblock for sure as can you imagine after going through all of the hoops to take a Month holiday in Thailand then being saddled with a almost £2000 pound fee to go into quarantine on arrival back in the UK.

I just think all countries and corporate business are cashing in on this covid thing from quarantine fees to insurance scams and even the airlines are hitting you with ridiculous fees because they can .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigTel said:

The quarantine cost was £1,750 but went up to £2,285 four weeks ago.

That's more than I would pay for return flight (about £550-600) and 30 days condo rental (about £700-800) in los. 

Screenshot 2021-09-04 13.12.54.png

• Like 1

A possible work around might be to fly back into Ireland from Thailand, stay overnight in Dublin and take a cheap Ryanair flight to the UK.  Of course the list of countries might change while one is in Thailand, but at the moment it’s quite short with no Asian counties on it.

C3CB02A4-169F-4A32-9744-EC85DFD2B743.jpeg

1 hour ago, bumblebee said:

A possible work around might be to fly back into Ireland from Thailand, stay overnight in Dublin and take a cheap Ryanair flight to the UK.  Of course the list of countries might change while one is in Thailand, but at the moment it’s quite short with no Asian counties on it.

C3CB02A4-169F-4A32-9744-EC85DFD2B743.jpeg

Air Arran to MCR and take a turbo prop instead of a jet, beautiful. Final approach over the Cheshire gap, admire Jodrell Bank whilst gulping a tin of Heineken :).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Quietguy said:

The quarantine cost was £1,750 but went up to £2,285 four weeks ago.

That's more than I would pay for return flight (about £550-600) and 30 days condo rental (about £700-800) in los. 

Same here, it really does make our return seem further away as each month passes QG :drinks:

3 hours ago, stoolpusher said:

I just think all countries and corporate business are cashing in on this covid thing from quarantine fees to insurance scams and even the airlines are hitting you with ridiculous fees because they can .

I could not agreee with you more SP that hits the nail right on the head. :drinks:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bumblebee said:

A possible work around might be to fly back into Ireland from Thailand, stay overnight in Dublin and take a cheap Ryanair flight to the UK.

You have to fill in a passenger locator form on arrival in UK stating where you have come from. Flying in via a third country without declaring original country of departure is illegal and punishable by a possible jail sentence of up to 10 years, and a fine of £10,000. 

Screenshot 2021-09-04 17.40.22.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Quietguy said:

You have to fill in a passenger locator form on arrival in UK stating where you have come from. Flying in via a third country without declaring original country of departure is illegal and punishable by a possible jail sentence of up to 10 years, and a fine of £10,000. 

Well your quite right there.

The Delta variant got into the UK via Indians staying in Turkey for 2-3 weeks and then arriving in the UK after. Immigration are not doing the basics presently, not even checking PCR tests upon arrival. They simply don't have the manpower and are not prepared to work over because they are salaried.

Its utter chaos in the airports.

Sniffer Dogs can be trained for detection of covid-19. But why do that when you can charge over £100 for PCR test.

Departing the UK whilst Thailand is red is not an issue really. Arriving in the UK when Thailand is red, then straight off to the hotel and costs associated with it, is a problem. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Quietguy said:

You know bumblebees location has made him an expert on unconventional border crossings . It’s in their blood. Shitfest brexit made it even more important to come up with solutions.

3 minutes ago, seven said:

No problem, just stay longer in Thailand. Or maybe you are a 2-week millionaire.

1 week billionaire m8 555.

Somestimes do 5-6 days at a time.

4 times plus a year pre covid. I fit my trips in around my work.

24 minutes ago, seven said:

Shitfest brexit made it even more important to come up with solutions.

We would not of been able to vaccinate at the pace we did, if it was not for Brexit.

Some EU states dissed the AZ vaccine, but in reality its provides better protection than Pfizer over time.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Fenton said:

We would not of been able to vaccinate at the pace we did, if it was not for Brexit.

Some EU states dissed the AZ vaccine, but in reality its provides better protection than Pfizer over time.

Who on earth told you this? Rees-Mogg? BoJo? Farage?