What Voluntary Covid Prevention Measures Do You Take

Pdoggg

The first two Covid waves in Thailand could hardly be called waves.  The current situation is about 10 times worse than on April 9th, the last night bars were open and my behaviour more risky than necessary.  Many expats believed there was no real cause for concern.  

This time it's different.  If the bars opened tomorrow, I'd stay home.  I am now only eating at outdoor restaurants and only if I can be 2 meters away from everybody.  My close up exposure is extremely limited, just a few seconds at a 7/11 or takeout joint.  

I am curious what voluntary steps, if any, our members have taken worldwide beyond government mandates?  If vaccinated, do you feel safe enough being vaccinated in Farangland now so that no precautions are necessary?  

I have been vaccinated, and with the delta variant being widespread now, I have decided to keep wearing a mask when I am out and about - and if on crowded public transit an N95 mask. Still sanitize hands - which is a good idea even if Covid 19 wasn't around.

While the mRNA vaccines plus AZ have demonstrated good protection against serious illness from Covid 19 Delta - it has not protected against getting infected nearly as well. May have to wait for a booster for the delta for better protection - or hope it mutates to a less contagious/virulent strain. For those who think this overly cautious, remember one never wants to in the smaller percentage that happens to be susceptible.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

I am curious what voluntary steps, if any, our members have taken worldwide beyond government mandates?

I always wear a mask when entering any shop or service. If out walking I avoid crowds and if I am talking with a friend I always maintain a safe distance for both our sakes, even though I have had both vaccinations I can still get covid and do not want to expose anyone to this also I am not gambling that I will be completly fine if I did get it too. Hence the caution.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I've had two Pfizer jabs and a finger prick blood test which indicated I have 'long lasting antibodies'. But I'm not taking any risks and won't even if the UK Government eases restrictions. I'm staying at home mostly. I order most food online and get it delivered. If I go out, usually just for exercise, I wear a mask when there are other people around or if I use public transport or go into any building, and try to keep 2m from anyone.

And I use hand sanitiser when I'm out and about and wash my hands when I get home.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I'm quite happy with my life thanks! I'm fairly reclusive anyway and didn't go out much before covid, so the only real difference is wearing a mask and keeping 2m from people. Not a huge inconvenience really.

Of course I would like to be able to travel abroad again, but that isn't a necessity.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

The first two Covid waves in Thailand could hardly be called waves.  The current situation is about 10 times worse than on April 9th, the last night bars were open and my behaviour more risky than necessary.  Many expats believed there was no real cause for concern.  

This time it's different.  If the bars opened tomorrow, I'd stay home.  I am now only eating at outdoor restaurants and only if I can be 2 meters away from everybody.  My close up exposure is extremely limited, just a few seconds at a 7/11 or takeout joint.  

I am curious what voluntary steps, if any, our members have taken worldwide beyond government mandates?  If vaccinated, do you feel safe enough being vaccinated in Farangland now so that no precautions are necessary?  

Where I live in Farangland, most people have been vaccinated. I'd say at least 70%. We can go into any store now sans mask if we are vaccinated. Though that appears to be on the honor system. I wore a mask into stores till they said I did not have to, so now I don't. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Quietguy said:

I'm quite happy with my life thanks! I'm fairly reclusive anyway and didn't go out much before covid, so the only real difference is wearing a mask and keeping 2m from people. Not a huge inconvenience really.

Of course I would like to be able to travel abroad again, but that isn't a necessity.

yes QG..apologies, my comment was perhaps not well written. The one mentioning you and PD. i didn't mean the way you live, i guess many people are living in some seclusion nowadays , including me. what i meant was that i wouldn't want to live with the covid fears you both have. there's a hell of a lot of other things to be concerned about too.

if i was the worrying kind [which i'm not] , Covid for is for a couple of reasons the very least of my concerns. If shit happens, it happens. if it don't , great!

you just take good care of your hoss, Pard.. 

3 hours ago, blind boy grunt said:

i wouldn't want to live with the covid fears you both have. there's a hell of a lot of other things to be concerned about too.

I don't have any great fear about covid, especially now that I've had the vaccine. I just don't think there is any point in taking unnecessary risks.

Just as I wouldn't go bungee jumping, motorbike racing, or crossing the road without looking both ways.

I do have many other things I'm concerned about, including discrimination, inequality, poverty, racism, injustice, and climate change. But there is not much I can do about those, though I do what little I can.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1