Come all without, come all within
You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn
Come all without, come all within
You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn
Source: Musixmatch
Songwriters: Bob Dylan

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Lefty said:

Not to be blasphemous, but Manfred Mann did Quinn the best. One of the few times a cover was better than the original. 

This is an old argument between the Leftster and me.  I like covers and sometimes they are better than the original.  Sometimes the "original" is not by the songwriter.

33 minutes ago, Woodie said:

Far and away Manfred was the better one!.

not to be picky but if my memory serves me well, Dylan never recorded in a studio 'The mighty Quinn'  it was simply recorded with The Band in the basement at Big Pink around 1967. As part of what was intended as demo tracks. it first appeared on 'Great White Wonder' A bootleg. Even when Columbia officially released 'The Basement tapes' some years later... It wasn't on the album. no recorded studio version is available i believe, only the Pig Pink demo which made it to an official Columbia album earlier this century  and of course live versions.

i could be wrong, forgiveness is asked for if i am, cos i'm getting old and forgetful.

Now, where was i? oh yes... so comparing a properly recorded Manfred version with a demo track is not the way to go.

i do recall at the Isle of Wight Dylan announced the Mighty Quinn as "a song done by Manfred Mann, a great band a really great band" something like that.

anyone interested in the Big Pink stuff... on you tube is a video of Garth Hudson returning to there for a look around. 40 odd years  down the road....

anyway, i'm off for a coffee with the mighty Quinn himself...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
15 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

This is an old argument between the Leftster and me.  I like covers and sometimes they are better than the original.  Sometimes the "original" is not by the songwriter.

I generally prefer the versions by the original artist. Since Bob wrote Quinn and we do have evidence he performed the song, even if never on an album,  that IMO makes his version the original. 

Jagger and Richards wrote Dead Flowers and the Stones performed it. They did their usual great job. But Townes Van Zant's cover is the best. He owned that song as if it was written for him. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, blind boy grunt said:

not to be picky but if my memory serves me well, Dylan never recorded in a studio 'The mighty Quinn'  it was simply recorded with The Band in the basement at Big Pink around 1967. As part of what was intended as demo tracks. it first appeared on 'Great White Wonder' A bootleg. Even when Columbia officially released 'The Basement tapes' some years later... It wasn't on the album. no recorded studio version is available i believe, only the Pig Pink demo which made it to an official Columbia album earlier this century  and of course live versions.

i could be wrong, forgiveness is asked for if i am, cos i'm getting old and forgetful.

Now, where was i? oh yes... so comparing a properly recorded Manfred version with a demo track is not the way to go.

i do recall at the Isle of Wight Dylan announced the Mighty Quinn as "a song done by Manfred Mann, a great band a really great band" something like that.

anyone interested in the Big Pink stuff... on you tube is a video of Garth Hudson returning to there for a look around. 40 odd years  down the road....

anyway, i'm off for a coffee with the mighty Quinn himself...

Thanks for the ramble. Still think Manfred did it better!!!. Dylan had sort of a cult following which sort of drowns out any ability to hear the better version.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Woodie said:

Still think Manfred did it better!!!

you could well be right Woodie. but my point is that you are comparing 2 different things. One, MMs version, and two, a song that the songwriter never recorded only as a demo for other artists or ocaissonally performed live.  They can't be compared as there was nothing to compare with really MM had the hit and deserved it, Dylan never even recorded it.. There were loads of songs from the Big Pink sessions that others recorded and had hits with too. Mighty Quinn was just one.

But, don't get the wrong idea.. i liked most of the stuff the Manfred's did, including Mighty Quinn. Manfred Mann's Earth Band later did a great version too. check it out.

it's similar to comparing Clint Eastwood with the cowpoke!

:biggrin:

• Like 1

Townes Van Zandt - lucky enough to see him twice. The last time was in a pub in Doncaster (UK) playing to about 50 of us on a wet winters night. Superb. He was mightily chuffed when my chums informed him they has started up a pub/micro brewery and named it (after him) Townes Brewery. Produced some magnificent ales too.

• Like 2