Covid-19 vaccines in Phuket

soiboy

Well, I guess the Phuket government is serious about trying to have some sort of reopening on July 1.  Today a friend in Rawai posted on FB pics of her and friends at a vaccination center getting their first shots.  She didn't say where the vaccination center was.  I believe the Sinovac vaccine is what is being used now, with the AstraZeneca vaccine to be rolled out later.

(BTW, I've had a few friends in LOS asking about what vaccines we have in the US, are they safe, which is better, etc.  I tell them that they are all safe, only a few people have died out of millions from reactions to being vaccinated, all the vaccines do the main thing well of keeping you from serious illness requiring going to hospital, and to listen only to doctors and nurses about the vaccines; don't listen to rumors.  I sense there is desire to get vaccinated, but also some hesitancy and fear.)

187065825_1124106218094853_357929849150696399_n.jpg

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, soiboy said:

I believe the Sinovac vaccine is what is being used now, with the AstraZeneca vaccine to be rolled out later.

Sinovac is the main one over there I was told, with the AstraZeneca being reserved for older people. (Not sure if that is now or a later date). This was told to me by a well off Thai friend, who also mentioned she was thinking of flying to the States to get the Pfizer one if she could organise it.  

• Like 1

I've seen posted on various FB friends and friends of friends pages charts comparing the efficacy of each of the major vaccines currently approved.  The mRNA vaccines come out on top, but the traditional deactivated virus vaccines are generally pretty much as good for the main thing - preventing serious illness from covid-19.  Still, people often say that they want the Pfizer vaccine.  When they ask me which one I got I tell them Pfizer and they say, "Oh!  You lucky!"  

I think it's because they are most familiar with the name "Pfizer."  You know, from the prescription label on the medicine bottle of little blue pills that their customers have on the nightstand by the bed.  They figure that if Pfizer makes a medicine that gives an old guy a boner then they must also make the best covid-19 vaccine.  Heck, that's the way I see it!  lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, soiboy said:

When they ask me which one I got I tell them Pfizer and they say, "Oh!  You lucky!"

Same here. The thais I communicate with will under no circumstances take the China vaccine( dont blame them) nor the AZ.

I want Faiser, they all say.

• Like 1

There isn't much confidence in Sinovac when the Thailand's leader refused to get vaccinated with it. It does have data supporting it works - but when the leaders won't use it, there will be no confidence from the public.

Now on the other hand Putin's daughter was vaccinated with the Sputnik Covid 19 vaccine - made with a deactivated virus, the same method as Sinovac - however Putin never had a news conference showing him being vaccinated with Sputnik.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, seven said:

Faiser

:biggrin:

13 hours ago, soiboy said:

Pfizer makes a medicine that gives an old guy a boner 

Branding is powerful.  I am predisposed to Pfizer and J&J because they are from my neck of the woods.   I used to live a few minutes walk form J&J's headquarters.

9 hours ago, seven said:

Surprising its you saying this about Sinovac.:biggrin:  Would you take it?

If there was no other vaccine, I probably would - but as noted if Thailand's Prime Minister turned it down, as many top Chinese Communist Party officials, something sounds off.

Note that I didn't say how effective it works. The countries that have used it on a wide spread basis, Chile, Brazil, Philippines have reported efficacy rates varying from 60-80%.   Not so good in comparison to the other vaccines, even Astra Zeneca's, but in terms of reducing death from severe infections these countries do report some good protection rates.

• Like 2

On 5/21/2021 at 6:26 AM, Quietguy said:

I've had two Pfizer. I've since had an antibody test which indicates I have long lasting antibodies. 

If I could have chosen I would have the Moderna, as it was partly funded by Dolly Parton! B)

So you want big tits???

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, soiboy said:

Some troubling findings about the Chinese vaccines that could have serious implications for the Phuket sandbox experiment, as well as any other re-opening plans in LOS.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/they-relied-on-chinese-vaccines-now-theyre-battling-outbreaks/

Another piece that adds to the doubt of getting back any time this year alas.  

• Like 2