next livestream: Friday 16 April, 10 p.m thai time. Kittens choice.

blind boy grunt

5 hours ago, seven said:

Youre not keeping up. Lambada is old news,  macarena is the latest.

Unlike 'Seven' and 'BBG' I've never had my finger on the pulse of 'pop' culture. However it was Christmas 1994 and I was having a break from Thailand and taking my jollies in Cuba. Wandering the streets of Havana one night I was drawn to an abandoned department store. Following the music that emanated I entered - the place was heaving with people 'groovin' and 'dancin'. A makeshift bar and a couple of large barrels dispensing white rum. The music came from a cassette player wired up to large speakers. I had heard a fair bit of Cuban music whilst mooching around the city - but when the 'DJ' (?) played one particular track the whole crowd was up on its feet and doing a sort of 'formation' dance - a bit like the 'Hokey Cokey' I thought ! I'd never seen or heard anything like it. I tried to capture the tune in my head as I heard it a few times during my stay. In one hotel bar the 'white' girls danced to it - but they couldn't cut it like the 'black' girls. (I was a quite surprised by the 'race divide here).  It wasn't till a few years later watching a movie that I heard the song again and checked the credits that I found out it was 'Macarena' a world wide hit - unknown to me. 

# I see todays news that Raul Castro is retiring. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, seven said:

Youre not keeping up. Lambada is old news,  macarena is the latest.

yeah well...think yourself lucky, we were going to do the twist. But,talking about riverdance, i always loved it [to watch that is] and still do.

i can well imagine Errol Quinn in his new sailor suit from his shop dancing the opening sequence in the vid with teya outside Emmy's bar...

• Like 2