3rd Wave Of The Plague

Pdoggg

I don't agree with it being a hoax JSG, it is a serious pandemic that affects primarily a certain demographic of society (i.e the elderly or the medically vulnerable) and I am sure everybody on this forum knows at least one person in that category who would be in danger if they contracted the virus. Maybe why people see it as "nothing more than the flu" is because they can't or won't look directly at those statistics, and choose to see only the effect it has on the younger and healthier generation.

But one thing I will say, perhaps slightly diluting what Duncan has stated, is that I believe that certain authorities and establishments have taken a medical pandemic and tried to turn it into a political pandemic, to work in their favour. Something we could debate all night, but I would rather do it as friends, chatting over a cold beer or several in Pattaya, than on an internet platform.

• Like 2

well said, and it dovetails with what I think.  For example, in Thailand the elites, who let's face it mostly run things as in every country, would LOVE to turn back the hands of time to a period before LOS became known as sex destination.  This closing of the borders to all but diplomatic, big business and wealthy tourists is decimating the industry, and sending LOTS of workers back to Issan (where they should stay unless they wish to be used as cheap labor, so the thinking goes probably. I think there is still a LOT of animosity about the Red shirt times and they wish the "buffalo" would go "where they belong", incuding street vendors, etc.).  It also provides a nice PR way of controlling the student rebellion by invoking no crowd regulations.  Elsewhere to it's being used as an excuse or reason for control WHICH IS WHY A LOT OF PEOPLE (people who like conspiracy theories) are yelling it's a plot!!!  Let's remember that even up high humans are not well known for being methodical and keeping secrets which are two things needed for a REAL conspiracy.

it's a bit of Occam's Razor methinks.  But many folks just can't chalk something up to fate, random events or accident.

• Like 3

I read a piece today suggesting Thailand and  some parts of SE Asia is about one year after the west in the pandemic.

That and the double whammy indian variant now appearing which makes the existent vaccines outdated and the rise of new  infections throughout Thailand make you on this beautiful sunny spring sunday in old Europe a lot less optimistic for a bright future.

agreed, I think LOS just adopted the Trump idea and stuck their head in the sand after shutting borders and waited for it to go away.  Now that it has not, it is possible that the greatest challenge to Thai government and medical communities is near. One good thing is Thai's tend to cave to authority more readily than say...Texans :)  Another is their general fear of so many things. I mean if you can put out that the virus is a ghost, well hell, they'll all stay home, at night at least :)  But as travel between villages, provinces an so on it a major component of commerce, thats gonna have a huge impact, as it already has.  In theory, most could go back to the boonies and start digging fish ponds and planting papaya and banana trees, an so on.  But for the major cities and tourism, it may just get a whole lot worse for some time to come as those fockers do NOT take western advice or knowledge seriously AT ALL.   There may be a long period of hit and miss blundering about. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The Government confirmed that foreigners who had registered via the Mor Prom app or the LINE app would not be offered vaccination in the June or July roll out.

The issue of foreigners being able to access Covid vaccines in Thailand is further complicated by the government’s not allowing private companies or hospitals to independently import vaccine doses after changing their mind several times on the matter.

Looks like the pecking order is:

1) Thais at risk

2) Other Thais

3) Soi dogs

4) Farang

• Like 2

Does Thai Travel Clinic plan to provide COVID19 vaccines for foreingers?

Absolutely,  our goals is to provide best medical care to Thais and foreigners. And we believe that vaccine is the key to control the outbreak. So we try very hard to buy COVID19 vaccine for foreingers in our hospital. Unforutnately, at this point, the priority of vaccine is still for Thais. Anyway, once global supply of vaccine is not tight, we will buy it and will provide COVID19 vaccine to foreigners. 

https://www.thaitravelclinic.com/blog/travel-medicine-issue/covidvaccine-foreigner.html

Once the water buffalos get their jab, Farang will have their chance.   In the meantime it is time to hunker down.

5 hours ago, BigTel said:

I have my second jab this afternoon of the Astrazenica so that's one hurdle out of the way for the return to Thailand  at some stage in the future.  :drinks:

Nice one amogo :drinks:,

I have my second AZ jab on June 4th so have booked a holiday abroad for June 8th, it's a wee 3 night trip to a City called Edinburgh :wink: , really looking forward to it with all its history and whisky bars. 

Costing only £20 for a return rail ticket from Manchester and with 10% off plus a free upgrade staying at the Grassmarket Hotel with my 'genius' status with Booking.com, its an absolute bargain. B)

Also been looking at a Corfu trip end of June (dependant on Boris's traffic light system) and Turkey at end of September. 

Pattaya is almost certainly off my radar for 2021, a trip sometime next year perhaps, but if not so be it.

I had zero 'side affects' with the first AZ jab, so hope the second will be the same. 

• Like 2

On 4/10/2021 at 7:19 AM, Woodie said:

I believe this pandemic has given rise to a large number of people getting their 15 minutes of fame.

I agree. 

Many folks seek out information that reinforces their individual biases, an echo chamber if you will (Similar to a few guys here- The USA is evil, all other countries are perfect, 555!)

We have lost the Age of Enlightenment dictum of "I disagree with what you say, but I respect your right to say it." Now is morphed in to "I disagre with what you say, so shut up!" 555.

BOT, I saw this video of how to get through to anti vaxers. Their doctor is the key...

I'm wondering about a third wave here in Mexico. About a month ago, the authorities were vaccinating people 60 and older, including foreigners with permanent resident status. 

It's a slow process; they vaccinate a cohort of about 40 people sitting in chairs but make them remain sitting for 30 minutes before a new cohort is accepted. Some folks reported waiting in line for 12 hours!

Just saw a sign for the 50 to 59 age group.

Saw an interesting nasal vaccine being developed by Mexico

• Like 1

4 hours ago, duke007 said:

I had zero 'side affects' with the first AZ jab, so hope the second will be the same. 

You'll be good Amigi,  mine went off without a hitch earlier this afternoon,  "jobs a good un"    :biggrin:

1 hour ago, Quietguy said:

Will bbg get vaccinated? :biggrin:

not unless BBG is very very sure about the vaccine QG... which means that i'll wait and see what side-effects if any happen to people. some side -effects could be terrible... Duke 007 might wake up with 'i luv liverpool' tattoed on his arm tomorrow.....:drinks:  i find it difficult to trust that vaccines have been developed so rapidly. Therefore i'll wait, not planning on going anywhere anyway.  Other than Sweden mayhaps.

strangely enough, i had an example of the madness prevelant in the world first hand two days ago. it was about 2.30 pm, i rode down on my electric Harley to 7-11, it was purty hot. The weather i mean, not the bike. Moseying in to the store,  i stuck my hand on the temperature check thing... horror of horrors! unclean unclean! an alarm sounded, temp read 38.4: For the last year ever since this insanity began i have always been around 36.4. 

i just couldn't believe the looks on the faces of the staff, thank god they weren't totin' Uzi's.  i was told quite forcibly....'GO! OUT! it was at this moment i realised that i was in the midst of the next generation of concentration camp guards. So...i did the check again quickly....36.6. Did it help placate the isaan idiots? nope it didn't. 'GO'..

so i went...thought i'd wait around to see what happened... 2 people went in only to be refused entry too. Hey, but those machines can never be faulty i guess, in the mind of future pol pot's anyway.

so what did Grunt do? simple...jumped on the bike to the next 7-11  a hundred yards further down beach road...  temp check...36.4.

• Like 4

Careful Grunt - t'other week I ventured into the Royal Garden Plaza in Pattaya - bit off your patch I suppose - but on entering - the little machine not only took temperature and emitted a gob of gel - but took your photo as well ! Coming to a 7-11 near you soon !

• Like 2

13 hours ago, blind boy grunt said:

not unless BBG is very very sure about the vaccine QG... which means that i'll wait and see what side-effects if any happen to people. some side -effects could be terrible..

So far no major problems after 2 shots of Pfizer. I’m fluent in Hebrew now and It’s a bitch to rub out blood clots in your legs every night though. I wish I had a dodgy massagelady to do that. Sweden is a lost cause. Forget about that godforsaken place. No masks, temperature checks, lockdowns at all. The cherry blossoms are beautiful though.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 6:17 PM, Quinn said:

Man in Chaing Mai harassed for not wearing mask ! Looks a tad like Jimmy Cargopants !

I have (or had) those shorts ... but not the thongs (flip flops). I'm not a complete heathen!

Last year in my Aus state (Victoria) we had full lock down and mandatory mask wearing. One day on an utterly deserted street standing alone at a bus stop I had some mad bitch stalk me in her car because I had the mask down. Truly unhinged an deranged. I'm with BBG on this one...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jimmy Cargopants said:

I have (or had) those shorts ... but not the thongs (flip flops). I'm not a complete heathen!

Last year in my Aus state (Victoria) we had full lock down and mandatory mask wearing. One day on an utterly deserted street standing alone at a bus stop I had some mad bitch stalk me in her car because I had the mask down. Truly unhinged an deranged. I'm with BBG on this one...

don't worry Jimmy... as long as we stay well away from Country and Western 'music'? we'll be okay.