Money Transfer Methods

Pdoggg

I'm looking for a backup method to transfer money to myself here in Thailand from the USA.

I am concerned about ease of setup from Thailand and the fees involve.

https://www.fidelity.com/cash-management/mobile-payments

Wondering about the pros and cons of Apple Pay, Apple Pay Cash, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, Paypal, Transferwise, Square Cash, Venmo, and others.

I'm buggered (so to speak) in as much as I must have an Australian bank account to get my army super. Then I do an "international money transfer" on the internet from that bank to my Thai bank. If I do it around 10.00 pm, it is in my Thai account by lunchtime. The Aust bank charges me $6.00 to send around $1,000.00. However somewhere before the money hits my Thai account a further fee - anything up to 620 baht - has come out. Such is life.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I've used Wise (formerly known as Transferwise) for years and have never had any issue. All completely transparent regarding fees etc..

Here is an example of the most recent transaction to my Bangkok Bank account using Wise. Initiated on 3rd February 2021, the money transfer completed the same day. The time taken is usually less than an hour, if not just an hour or two.

Transfer Overview
Amount sent - 2,500 GBP
Converts to - 102,016.53 THB
Fee - 13.49 GBP
Exchange rate - 41.0280

No further fees at either end and the exchange rates are extremely favourable. Total transfer cost was 13.49 GBP.

If you're considering joining you can use this affiliate style link provided to me by Wise:

https://transferwise.com/invite/u/michaelb89

Once joined you will also have your own link to share.

Just to add, the money sent above was directly from my Wise account, which can be held in a selection of different currencies, to my Bangkok Bank account in Thailand.

To load my Wise account from my UK bank account (in my case Natwest) is free because it is a UK bank to UK bank money transfer, not an overseas transfer. I made an online transfer just now at no cost from Natwest to Wise and it was instant. Wise has accounts in many, many different countries and currencies for this purpose.

It is a 3-step process. Domestic bank account -> Wise -> Thai (foreign) bank account, or any overseas individual's bank account.

• Like 4

On 2/25/2021 at 11:56 AM, dixon cox said:

I've used Wise (formerly known as Transferwise) for years and have never had any issue. All completely transparent regarding fees etc..

Here is an example of the most recent transaction to my Bangkok Bank account using Wise. Initiated on 3rd February 2021, the money transfer completed the same day. The time taken is usually less than an hour, if not just an hour or two.

Transfer Overview
Amount sent - 2,500 GBP
Converts to - 102,016.53 THB
Fee - 13.49 GBP
Exchange rate - 41.0280

No further fees at either end and the exchange rates are extremely favourable. Total transfer cost was 13.49 GBP.

If you're considering joining you can use this affiliate style link provided to me by Wise:

https://transferwise.com/invite/u/michaelb89

Once joined you will also have your own link to share.

Just to add, the money sent above was directly from my Wise account, which can be held in a selection of different currencies, to my Bangkok Bank account in Thailand.

To load my Wise account from my UK bank account (in my case Natwest) is free because it is a UK bank to UK bank money transfer, not an overseas transfer. I made an online transfer just now at no cost from Natwest to Wise and it was instant. Wise has accounts in many, many different countries and currencies for this purpose.

It is a 3-step process. Domestic bank account -> Wise -> Thai (foreign) bank account, or any overseas individual's bank account.

do the same good service great rates 

• 5 months later...

How will this work out?  While I welcome getting rid of filthy notes, I find it hard to see implemented in soi 6/1.

I have a friend who stashes his  500b  note in his shoe  5x100b all over his outfit when cruising soi 6/1 at 4am, and has a real aversion to smartphones. How will he pay now?

Thailand CBDC Trial to Test Use as Cash Substitute

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/thailand-retail-cbdc-trial-test-085620489.html

The Bank of Thailand said its central bank digital currency pilot program planned for the second quarter of next year will test its use as a cash-like payment system.

• The central bank will test the CBDC for “cash-like activities within a limited scale,” such as paying for goods and services, Assistant Governor Vachira Arromdee saidThursday.

• A CBDC could become an alternative payment option in the future as a partial substitute for cash and e-money, with demand increasing over time.

• Involvement will be sought from the private sector and technology developers, with the Bank of Thailand deciding the criteria for participation.

• The bank said that the CBDC would be non-interest bearing and would be distributed to the general public by intermediaries like financial institutions. Conditions or limits on the amount of CBDC that can be held will also be established.

• Arromdee said in a news conference that a CBDC wouldn’t affect monetary policy or money supply in the system, according to a Reuters report.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
On 2/24/2021 at 11:09 PM, seven said:

Wise

We're increasing our fees for international USD transfers.
Sending USD to accounts outside of the US? You may be affected by some fee changes.

Why are they changing?
We’re constantly reviewing our fees to make sure we’re offering you the fairest deal possible. So when our costs go down, our fees do too.
But the reverse is also true. And because our operational costs to send USD internationally have increased, so have our fees.
We’ll be updating our fees on 27 September 2023. We know it’s not the best news, but we’re working on ways to improve this.

• Like 1

This used to be so easy. Screw em.

We’re getting back in touch because we need a bit more info to keep your account working.

Because of the way we’re regulated in the EU, we’re required by law to collect this additional information from you. Unfortunately there’s still a bit more we need to complete the process.

Here’s what you need to know:

1. The button below will take you directly to Wise to provide us with the documents requested 
  2. Provide the information we need — we may ask for your photo ID, proof of address and some other personal details 
  3. No drivers licences are accepted - the best photo ID will be your passport 
  4. Make sure your proof of address document is no older than 3 months - see how Wise verify your address
  5. That’s it — as soon as we verify your information you’re all set 

How does Wise verify my address?

We might ask to verify your address when you use Wise. We’re a financial institution, so we need to know who’s using our service and where they live. It helps us combat money laundering, and keep everyone’s money safe. 

When we verify your address, we ask you to share a document that has the same address that you have on your Wise account

Documents we accept 

We’ll ask you to provide a high quality photo or scan of a document showing your valid address. It should show:

• Your full name: must match the name on your Wise account

• Your full personal address: must match the address on your Wise account

• Date of issue

• A logo, or clear name of the sender: like your bank, your local authority, your utilities provider, etc

• The nature of the document: like the type of bill, subject of the letter, etc

A valid proof of address document can be:

• Utility bills: gas, electric, or landline phone (no mobile phone bills)

• A bank or credit card statement (photo/scan of a physical letter or PDF of statement)

• A council tax bill, or a HMRC notification

• Vehicle registration or tax

• Photo driving licence showing your address and expiry date

• Any other government or financial institution-issued document

Important information to note:

• Your bank statement, utility bill or council tax bill cannot be older than 3 months

• You can also submit a document from a Local Authority or FCA authorised institution which was issued within the last 12 months. For example, a yearly council tax bill or a letter confirming the opening of a bank account

• Your address cannot be a PO Box, as this will not be accepted

• If we have requested an ID document and an address document, these must be separate documents

• The address proof must be issued to your personal address. We cannot accept address proofs that have been issued to a business

• If you live in a country that recognises both registered addresses and residential addresses, please use your residential address on your Wise account.

If we don’t hear back from you before 11 October 2023 your account will be suspended and you won't be able to send, spend or receive money with Wise.

After that, you’ll still be able to give us this info to verify. When we’ve done that, your account and card will start working again

How can I tell this email is from Wise?

So you know this isn’t a phishing email, you’ll also find this link in the Inbox in your Wise account. You can use the link from this email or the inbox message.

We’re really sorry about this. With your help, we can keep your Wise account working normally.

Thanks,
    The Wise Team
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, seven said:
This used to be so easy. Screw em.

We’re getting back in touch because we need a bit more info to keep your account working.

Because of the way we’re regulated in the EU, we’re required by law to collect this additional information from you. Unfortunately there’s still a bit more we need to complete the process.

Here’s what you need to know:

1. The button below will take you directly to Wise to provide us with the documents requested 
  2. Provide the information we need — we may ask for your photo ID, proof of address and some other personal details 
  3. No drivers licences are accepted - the best photo ID will be your passport 
  4. Make sure your proof of address document is no older than 3 months - see how Wise verify your address
  5. That’s it — as soon as we verify your information you’re all set 

How does Wise verify my address?

We might ask to verify your address when you use Wise. We’re a financial institution, so we need to know who’s using our service and where they live. It helps us combat money laundering, and keep everyone’s money safe. 

When we verify your address, we ask you to share a document that has the same address that you have on your Wise account

Documents we accept 

We’ll ask you to provide a high quality photo or scan of a document showing your valid address. It should show:

• Your full name: must match the name on your Wise account

• Your full personal address: must match the address on your Wise account

• Date of issue

• A logo, or clear name of the sender: like your bank, your local authority, your utilities provider, etc

• The nature of the document: like the type of bill, subject of the letter, etc

A valid proof of address document can be:

• Utility bills: gas, electric, or landline phone (no mobile phone bills)

• A bank or credit card statement (photo/scan of a physical letter or PDF of statement)

• A council tax bill, or a HMRC notification

• Vehicle registration or tax

• Photo driving licence showing your address and expiry date

• Any other government or financial institution-issued document

Important information to note:

• Your bank statement, utility bill or council tax bill cannot be older than 3 months

• You can also submit a document from a Local Authority or FCA authorised institution which was issued within the last 12 months. For example, a yearly council tax bill or a letter confirming the opening of a bank account

• Your address cannot be a PO Box, as this will not be accepted

• If we have requested an ID document and an address document, these must be separate documents

• The address proof must be issued to your personal address. We cannot accept address proofs that have been issued to a business

• If you live in a country that recognises both registered addresses and residential addresses, please use your residential address on your Wise account.

If we don’t hear back from you before 11 October 2023 your account will be suspended and you won't be able to send, spend or receive money with Wise.

After that, you’ll still be able to give us this info to verify. When we’ve done that, your account and card will start working again

How can I tell this email is from Wise?

So you know this isn’t a phishing email, you’ll also find this link in the Inbox in your Wise account. You can use the link from this email or the inbox message.

We’re really sorry about this. With your help, we can keep your Wise account working normally.

Thanks,
    The Wise Team

I have wise and never had a problem....check properly...could be a scam email ( for sure ) 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, seven said:

11 October 2023

A European friend received a similar email and when he opens his Wise app he sees a similar warning.

Using my laptop, I see no such warning on Wise and did not receive an email.  Perhaps because I'm American.

For those coming to Thailand this year, perhaps do a Wise transfer this month.

Btw, bringing Scando cash will get you a horrible rate at exchange booths. If you must bring cash the tightest Buy-Sell spread for cash is USD 100 dollar bills.  Euro has a decent spread.  Bottom line, exchange Scando currencies for dollars or Euros at home.

The tightest spreads and best cash arte by far is at the main branch of Super Rich Thailand (green) in Bangkok.  Spread percentage for USD is about 0.15% which is extremely good.  For Euros about 0.3% which is also quite good,  for SEK a whopping 27%.  Swedes, Norwegians, and Danes should not bring paper money to Thailand. Exchange rates in Pattaya are even worse.  

I did receive an email about a month ago that fees for USD transactions will increase on September 27th so Yanks may want to send money before that date.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Perhaps because I'm American.

EU is mentioned at first yes. Maybe I can ask my English friends? Oh wait....:biggrin:

exchange Scando currencies for dollars or Euros at home.

Our currency is piss poor to most others, almost as bad as the pound. I have no idea about these things, never been interested. What can you do.

should not bring paper money

I never have and never will.   Probably just bring krypto.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/co-founder-fake-cryptocurrency-scheme-sentenced-20-years-us-prison-2023-09-12/

A federal judge in New York sentenced the co-founder of the purported cryptocurrency OneCoin to 20 years in prison on Tuesday for what prosecutors called a $4 billion fraud.

U.S. District Judge Edgardo Ramos in Manhattan sentenced Karl Sebastian Greenwood, a dual citizen of Sweden and the United Kingdom, who pleaded guilty to fraud and money laundering charges in December 2022.

Ramos also ordered Greenwood to forfeit $300 million.

Greenwood has been detained in New York since his 2018 arrest in Thailand and extradition to the United States over his role in promoting OneCoin.