My current ban on Google

KenW

Google has been sprung donating vast sums of money to the right wing do-gooder US lobby groups seeking the abolition of sex work (globally).

In case you hadn't noticed newer FMs, those of ours, at least those talked about most in the bars, are all sex workers.

These first world people are attempting to terminate not only your sexual pleasures, but the very livelihoods of your cock bearing girlfriends, objects of desire and ToDo listees.

Through a group I am affiliated with, the Network of Sex Work Projects (NSWP), much has been said about this recently on twitter, including contributions by yours unruly. NSWP is a global organisation for, and run by sex workers, with a set of aims to better the lives, health and working conditions of sex workers worldwide. The most recent campaign focus has been highlighting violence against sex workers.

This Google issue affects you Dear FM.

Even if you have desires as yet only, or at the other extreme you are a Thailand veteran or Cambodia veteran, or anywhere veteran, or if you have a non-P4P GF, then it still affects all of you, for you can bet some friends of your friend somewhere, sometime, work for a living.

I now never use Google anymore as a search engine.

I plead with you who love LBs and LB bars, or are just thinking about your sexuality and what LBs mean to you, to join with me till Google sees the power of our social media campaign and recants.

Ban Google.

Well DK there seems to be increasing evidence that social media like twitter are becoming powerful political tools for changing opinion, governments, company actions. I don't see why forums can't help contribute to that.

Maybe we won't shift the Sahara desert, but the twitter campaign alone will move a few dunes, let alone grains of sand.

I completely agree with your stand Ken and understand your points, but I think Google is the least of our worries.

For the most part, Google does a good job of adhering to their (at one time) stated mission of "not being evil".

The issue is that do-gooders have a knee-jerk reaction to the concept of sex work. Where we see cute little hunnies following their dreams of being able to support their family (while also having a reason to hang out in bars and listen to loud music), they instead see innocents forced into prostitution, a veritable slave trade like what would be portrayed in a 1930's film by D.W. Griffith. Until that perception is changed, if ever, we are doomed to have these ninnies out their battling to save people from themselves, under the guise of "fighting exploitation".

I had the discussion with my sister recently about all the "bikini barista" coffee stands that have sprung up in the Pacific NW. For those that are unfamiliar, you come up to your little drive-through espresso stand, and inside is a young girl (18+) wearing a bikini or even less. The result is usually that old horn-dogs like myself frequent these espresso purveyors rather than the local Starf**ks, and tip generously. There are the occasional sting operations, when local vice cops spend months buying latte's and trying to entice the girls to simulate masturbation or agree to an act of prostitution in return for a larger-than-normal tip, and of course these get lots of press when they are successful.

But I digress. The conversation was about these Bikini Barista stands. My sister was opposed, as it "exploits" vulnerable girls. I pointed out that those same girls may not have many other economic options, and that using their sexuality and attractiveness to earn a living might actually be viewed as "empowering" rather than exploiting. She seemed to never have considered this. She has always imagined that these girls were taking a "demeaning" job out of sheer desperation, and were practically forced into it by the evil pimp/business owner. She never considered that perhaps the girl was looking for a fun, reasonably easy way to make some pretty good money by using her physical assets. Basically, she's exploiting a guy's horndog nature, and not the reverse.

I think you get the gist of it.

Anyway, I'd offer to join you in your crusade, but I just cannot balance the effectiveness of my actions against the inconvenience of not using Google. I use it for so many things, it would take more than this to force me to sever my ties. Hell, I'm still banking at Bank of America, and I think they're a FAR greater evil in this world.

I'm glad some of us like you have the courage of our convictions, but I'll have to sit on the sidelines and cheer you from there for the time being.