7/11 Stamps

Pdoggg

I've always been confused about 7/11 stamps.  Was even more complicated to me than the old LaBamba discount card. 

Today, I started googling around looking at old info, but it appears that there are two things that you can do with these stamps.   Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

1) You can redeem them for any purchase which is a surprise to me.

2) You can save them up for special stuff that looks mostly like junk to me.

I think in general, for every 50 baht you spend that you get one stamp.  But certain items gives you bonus stamps.  I think at some point they expire but I have no idea when the current promotion expires.

If anyone knows about this stuff, please fill us in!   :hi:

12 minutes ago, Pdoggg said:

I've always been confused about 7/11 stamps.  Was even more complicated even to me than the old LaBamba discount card. 

Nothing ever could be more complicated than that old La Bamba discount card. :crazy:

I used to save up all my 7/11 stamps then at the end of my trip give them to one of my regular ladymen, they loved them. B)

• Like 1

you are correct P.D but sorry, you can't redeem them for ciggies. not sure about alcohol but suspect not.

anything else yes.  special stuff is things like toasters, kettles whatever they have from time to time from the 7-11 catalogue.

they usually announce well in advance when stamps have to be redeemed by.

i used 400 baht worth in 7-11 today.

they should always be asked for if the staff don't give them. which usually means they will pocket them themselves. ask for 'stickers' not stamps.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Quietguy said:

I hope they checked your temperature with the ray gun!

they have gone upmarket recently QG. No longer the isaan idiot standing there pretending to be a doctor when you walk in. they have a bigger ray gun version near to entrance that you almost touch with the palm of your hand.

but... controversy! i forgot a mask! "Mister, Mister, stop!"

• Haha 1

They're like the long-defunct S&H Green Stamps that I remember my mom saving when I was a kid.  You got stamps when you shopped at certain places and you exchanged them for household items when you had enough (which seemed to take forever to accumulate).  I also give them to the ladyboys and they cheerfully put them in their purse.  One time I asked how many stamps for a short time and the sweetie just laughed and proclaimed, "One Million!"

• Like 1

I just redeemed my first stickers today.

On 11/8/2020 at 7:31 PM, blind boy grunt said:

i used 400 baht worth in 7-11 today.

So do you put them in a sticker book?  if so, how do you get a book?   Are there any other advantages to putting the stickers in a book.

I'm also trying to figure out All Member discounts.   Usually, I call the clerks attention to the discount and then they look it up on their phone and apply the discount.   Time consuming for them and for people behind me in line.

I just downloaded the 7/11 Thailand app but the comments section looks as is filled with all sorts or Thai Visa Forum grumpy expat comments.  It seems you need a Thai ID to register but I suppose if you know the correct number of digits you could make one up.  The app is mostly in Thai, perhaps a good exercise to learn Thai, but it's in one of the unusual fonts that make it very tough for me.  Truth be told even if in the standard font trying to figure out the details of their promotions would be extremely difficult, almost impossible for me. Anyone use the app?

The stamp collection seems to be an annual promotion as I've been doing it for several years already. Runs for around 3 or 4 months, ending mid-November after which no further stamps are issued. Stamps can be redeemed up until mid-December. Stamp books do not have to be complete and can contain any number when redeeming. The crappy gifts on offer are not compulsory. All stamps can be redeemed for anything in-store apart from alcohol and tobacco. They will also not be issued for any alcohol or tobacco purchases. This is my understanding.

So far I've redeemed 4x full cards and have one incomplete card which has quite a lot on it. Each full card is worth B225 and can be spent on anything (besides booze or fags).

No doubt holidaymakers chuckle at the stingy poor expats living on apparent satang-counting budgets, but this is not the case for the majority, certainly not for anyone I know.

These stamps, pronounced suh-tamp, are in abundance when you live here. I buy the bulk of my liquids (water, milk, coffee, cold drinks. yoghurts, and various snacks etc.) from 7-11s and probably visit my local shop at least 3 times per week. I just bung these stamps in a heap and eventually get around to sticking them in the provided books.

I also get certain items delivered to my door free of charge by my local 7-11. Such as Nescafe tinned coffees (x30 in a tray), Purika pomegranate drinks (x24 per tray) and Oishi Lemon Teas (x24 per tray). Saves me carrying them myself and they are discounted versus buying individually. Got a free Nescafe branded mini-cooler box delivered the other day, too.

Regarding the app. I just request my orders verbally in-store when I enter and they've normally got it done by the time I arrive back at the cashier. There is a ladyboy working there who always keeps me informed of what's available for bulk buys which she knows I purchase regularly. She knows what I like, reminding me to get my favourite Meiji peach yoghurt, if I forget.

They look after me very well at my local 7-11 :Monkey:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

So do you put them in a sticker book?  if so, how do you get a book?   Are there any other advantages to putting the stickers in a book.

the books are normally in a little container on the counter somewhere PD. red, with a cartoon mickey mouse on the cover.

they fold out when opened. one side being for one-baht stamps and the rear side for 3 baht stamps... don't mix them up!

must confess that i used to give them away as i didn't know what you did with them. But, in a way it's exactly the same as throwing money away. i'm a bit like D.C just use 7-11 for regular stuff, eggs and cleaning bits etc. Helps with not having to carry loads of bits home from the big supermarkets now and then.

advantage to using a book is  that the little squares where you stick the stamps are numbered so you can tell at a glance how much you have.  

don't know anything about the phone business, other than it's bloody annoying waiting for some daft thai sorting it out when you are behind them in the queue.

i'm convinced that 7-11 stamps are some kind of unofficial currency among thai's. If you went to the flea market on Tepprasit road, you could probably pay in stamps for some Whitney Houston C.D or similar.. but when they ask for 5 stamps P.D, make sure that you give them one-baht stamps, not 3 baht stamps...don't overpay!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Quinn said:

Is there an expiry date on the stamps ? (Asking for a friend).

nothing printed on the stamps to say so. there are dates printed in the book itself  which may state expiry. something something 2563 which i assume is the year. it's all in Thai of course.  dunno if stamps can be kept till the next promotion or not.

usually my local 7-11 boss just notifies me when the promotion is ending, so i spend 'em.

am i really discussing all this? somebody help me!!!.... Quinn, DC, PD...we have been here too long.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, seven said:

No comments :biggrin:

no comment needed thanks! this all reminds me of another forum when MacDonalds opened on Soi Buck... that went on for about 15 pages! not forgetting the spaghetti ladyboy at the Diana /Buck junction. Dear God.

please tell me i'm not getting like that! all i want to be in life is Anti-Covid man....

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, blind boy grunt said:

i'll pick up a stamp book for you

I was just going to suggest he'd bring his book next time so you together can lick em stamps and put neatly in your books to compare. Just like collecting real stamps.  If you're lucky DC will come along and it will all be sorted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

well...i have bad news... the 7-11 stamp promotion finishes on 23 November i am reliably informed... sorry guys!

but QG thanks for the song. Can we get back to work now?

In case some of you are confused, i have spent lockdown teaching QG how to speak Cowpoke... this will be useful to him when he's out there a-branding longhorn's on the prairie. Okay, it could be argued that there just ain't so much prairie in West London anymore, and quite probably not many longhorn's either, but a skill is a skill. To complement his cowpoke lessons i have also been teaching him Spanish to help with his mosey to Cuba in January.

i have to say that QG...you are -a mucho - goodo studentia. bellamissimo! wella-dunna muchacho! Magnifique!

While i'm here a jawin' .. many of us know QG well,  what many of you don't know, because he is indeed a very modest man, and i hope that i'm not going to cause him any embarrassment. But he is a bona-fide  war hero. Yes!

And just after remembrance sunday this may be the time to tell the tale.

It is on record that he once flew in Aerial combat against the Bloody Red Baron himself, back in his youth. I mean the red Baron's youth of course, QG was always old... but that is besides the point.

unfortunately though QG was shot down by the German Fokker.

But at least he tried. Respect!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, seven said:

I was just going to suggest he'd bring his book next time so you together can lick em stamps and put neatly in your books to compare. Just like collecting real stamps.  If you're lucky DC will come along and it will all be sorted.

ha! gotcha! you don't have to lick them... peel off the backing and there ya go.

shall we get onto train spotting now....

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, blind boy grunt said:

the 7-11 stamp promotion finishes on 23 November

By finishes do you mean they won't give out stamp after Nov 23 or you can't redeem stamps after Nov 23?

Btw, IMO this is a vey useful thread in that most of our members already knew where to find well equipped ladyboys but did not know that these stamps are more or less a cash equivalent.   

Redeem enough of them and you have enough to lick a ladyboy while peeling off the back of your stickers.  B)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pdoggg said:

By finishes do you mean they won't give out stamp after Nov 23 or you can't redeem stamps after Nov 23?

not sure PD.

but just looking at the book thing it says in thai:

24th **** [  date start] ....  to 23 **** [obviously november] 2563 [ date end]

then ****24 month to 15th **** 2563.

so i hazard a guess that stamps are given from 24th of whatever month it started up to 23 nov.

and can be redeemed until 15th december.

i.e stamps are given out up to 23 nov and have to be totally redeemed by 15 dec as it's all dated this year.

but remember i can't read thai.. only Spanish.

will ask teya or emmy to confirm.

i did try to take a photo of the book but my phone seems to only want do videos. 

• Like 1