Manager Drinks

Pdoggg

Dukey posted Nick's weekly Sunday show from The Ass.   This week he interviewed Bryan Flowers and they touched on several interesting subjects one of which is Nightwish's controversial policy of Manager Drinks.

http://www.ladyboyreview.com/index.php?/topic/8191-this-week-in-pattaya-with-nick-ndtvi/page/6/&tab=comments#comment-197369

Manager Drinks are drinks for a farang bar manager which cost the same as ladydrinks so that the bar manager gets a commission.  Think manager drinks should be implemented in ladyboy bars?

I've been known to buy a drink for a bar manager (in a ladyboy bar) but as a friendship thing, as i would if I was in the bar with a mate. Obviously I've also bought the lady of my choice a drink as well, I'm there to enjoy myself, and as long as the bin is all ok, I'm ok too.

How the bar works out it's affairs is none of my business.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Dukey posted Nick's weekly Sunday show from The Ass.   This week he interviewed Bryan Flowers and they touched on several interesting subjects one of which is Nightwish's controversial policy of Manager Drinks.

http://www.ladyboyreview.com/index.php?/topic/8191-this-week-in-pattaya-with-nick-ndtvi/page/6/&tab=comments#comment-197369

Manager Drinks are drinks for a farang bar manager which cost the same as ladydrinks so that the bar manager gets a commission.  Think manager drinks should be implemented in ladyboy bars?

The NW managers are on a salary so in my opinion they should not get any commotion from a drink . If a customer wants to by the manager a drink well that is up to them .

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cobber32 said:

I've been known to buy a drink for a bar manager (in a ladyboy bar) but as a friendship thing, as i would if I was in the bar with a mate. Obviously I've also bought the lady of my choice a drink as well, I'm there to enjoy myself, and as long as the bin is all ok, I'm ok too.

How the bar works out it's affairs is none of my business.

Mmmmm, can't remember when you bought me that drink buddy?.:hi:

• Haha 1

This is simply the last episode of the bar system. it touches me one without moving the other.  I understood a long time ago that the majority of bar managers want to pluck customers attracted to ladyboys as quickly as possible.
I do not judge but I decide and I act. When I realized  I was viewed as a ham, I moved towards new horizons.Only those who accept to be ripped off are actually sucked like this. Others should see bar managers for who they are and what they do: they hold you affectionately pretending to be friendly but they only think about making dough whether you come out satisfied or not.

• Like 5

Well, let's see, if the farang manager is a really cute and petite and slim femboy who full-body shaves regularly and has a girly giggle and is a good kisser, then sure, he'll get a manager drink out of me.  But seeing as how I've never ever in my life seen a farang bar manager in Thailand who fits that description I think I'm safe from ever buying a "manager drink."

• Like 3

It’s a self defeating policy that sends a negative message.

I understand the ethos behind it by boosting the guys fairly low salary but for every guy that would have normally bought the fella a drink there’s now going to be many that simply won’t.

• Like 4

I'm not sure about the ladydrink prices in Pattaya any more but in Angeles City, the bar got most of the commission. A 300 peso lady drink:

1 Lady-100

2 Bar - 200 (maybe 175 gross profit)

Bars are in business to make money; as long as customers are OK with their prices, let the good times roll:yahoo:

• Like 1

It may be that the Nightwish managers are on a lowish salary , without any profit-share bonus, in which case there is an arguement in favour. However, for any owner or manager with a profit share package , to be charging a premium for drinks bought in the spirit of friendship and camraderie seems well over the top to me.

• Like 5

On 10/15/2020 at 12:08 PM, jimbo33 said:

to be charging a premium for drinks bought in the spirit of friendship and camraderie seems well over the top to me.

Seems over the top to me too Jimbo.

Nightwish has their own methods that seemed to work well for them pre-Covid.  Personally I liked old skool Soi 6 before the proliferation of open air bars.   Nightwish says the open air bars make significantly more money for them.  I guess guys who liked the old Soi 6 can go to more glitzy and more expensive gentleman's clubs. 

Part of the Nightwish bar manager job description is drinking heavily with customers so the managers need to be compensated for a job that is somewhat unhealthy such as coal mining.  They also say that their managers provide lots of value added service by mentoring newbies and teaching them the ropes.   I suppose it makes it easier for a newbie to approach a bar manager as he knows the manager being compensated for his time.    

My only experience with a Manager Drink was in Phnom Penh.  Sizzler Bar had a big problem with a customer who was complaining about a bill.  After the customer left the male manager owner/brother of owner/whomever was sitting at the bar drained and dejected so I sent him over a beer which I expected to be the normal $1 or $1.50 and I got billed for a $3.50 ladydrink/staff drink.  Complaining would then be yet another customer complaining about a bill so I was stuck. No good deed goes unpunished.   :biggrin:

Nightwish could be in trouble if they can't renegotiate rent as my impression is with their big overhead that they really depend on their cash flow.  I heard they have already shuttered their Chaiyapoon bars.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Nightwish could be in trouble if they can't renegotiate rent as my impression is with their big overhead that they really depend on their cash flow.  I heard they have already shuttered their Chaiyapoon bars.  

nightwish as such aren't in trouble... the investors are. someone is making money and it's not them.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
18 hours ago, stoolpusher said:

what a laugh , I don't feel sorry for him at all , only the staff and the guys who invested  .

As with all companies there is always 1 boss who seems to be coated in Teflon . 

Bryan does seem to have a good share of detractors.  It is an interesting interview though.  He said that 1000 baht was the going rate for TF etc.  I kind of assumed it was but good to hear verification from a guy in the know.   Video well worth watching if you are interested in the bar scene.