End To Police Checkpoints

Pdoggg

The new Metropolitan Police Chief has an ordered an end to police checkpoints nationwide.  These checkpoints were used to combat drunk driving but often devolved into giving out easy tickets for no helmets.

These checkpoints were very unpopular with many Thais.  The chief says he wants to see greater transparency with urine tests done in hospitals instead of roadside,

Heading to bkk they always have the road blocks at the top of Kha Yai nat park and Heading north they at the bottom of the park .I get stopped every time , thankfully Dao is with me and they chat to her in Thai . I often wonder what I would have to pay if I was on my own. 

We will see if the checkpoints will stop but I don't think so 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Checkpoints are back as of this month in Pattaya.   Daytime for things such as proper license and helmet; night time to nab drunk drivers.

Foreigners on Koh Samui who have been caught driving while intoxicated are now teaching English to probation officers as part of their community service.

Those with a drink driving charge are ordered by the court to complete 24 hours of community service. The foreigners have been teaching probation staff basic greetings and conversational English as well as grammar and legal terms.

A 70 year old German expat with a DUI charge says he was excited to teach English for his community service hours. The staff at the probation office also say the foreigners have been enthusiastic about teaching.

Teaching English to staff at the island’s Department of Probation is a useful community service plan and also fun, probation chief Witthawan Sunthornkhajit says.

https://thethaiger.com/news/samui/foreigners-charged-with-dui-teach-english-to-koh-samui-probation-staff

• Like 1