Topics and what motivates replies

Woodie

I am interested in what topics create the most interest amongst mongers.

There seems to be no pattern. It could be how to connect to wifi or who was the best LB in bed. Or which airline served the best food. No logic at all.

I have a feeling that the number of replies and likes etc. are generated by the popularity of who made the posting in the first place. Whether that person is a long standing member or has a commercial interest in Pattaya.

Due to their not being disclosure of who clicks on the likes etc. there is no way of telling.

It seems as if what to me is an interesting topic, is started by a new member or one who posts infrequently, there are few replies or likes.

Just an observation!.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Woodie said:

There seems to be no pattern

I often been surprised that some really great topics don't generate many replies while topics that I would guess would go nowhere gets mega replies.

In depth replies are a sign that someone is really interested.  For instance, one of Lucas' videos that Duke posted about searching for condos to rent/buy has been my obsession for months so it was easy to reply especially given that I had looked at the condo in question.

But sometimes, even if one is interested in a topic it's difficult to compose a coherent response.  Some of it is luck.  If I'm on the laptop it's much easier for me to post a thoughtful reply.  There are certain weeks when I'm busy so not easy post.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jimmy Cargopants said:

I like to hear about people's personal histories... careers, families, travels, home countries. It's interesting, and I'm not even too bothered if it's made up and a thin tissue of lies (!) Never let the facts get in the way of a funny story. 55

no no Jimmy. that sort of thing should never be done.:yes:

• Haha 2

According the wizards at Facebook, Twitter, and all, we all have different likes that will send each of us down the rabbit hole of likes, posts, comments, and replies. But I would suspect the temporarily suspended (of necessity) "Trip Reports" section has historically been the most popular.  Well, it was always the most interesting to me, unless the reports became novels.  I guess I was always more of a "Flowers of Algenon" reader as opposed to "War and Peace".

• Like 2

On the other more populated board I found there are writers and there are writers or penmen who can could make taking a dump, for instance, an interesting read. I enjoy a well written report that places you in the writer's stead, as it were, rather than a boring recitation of "arrived by taxi, checked in and phones X and Y. Met up @ Z bar, "pulled" a hot bird and done her in the room."

I suppose this feature demonstrates the broad spectrum of deviates making use of the board from simple former toilet lurkers to the more educated ones. If this shows me guilty of a form of snobbery then I bow to your judgment.

• Like 5

Good point Woodie and a question I have often touched on with PD over the years.  Actually a thread I thought might have gathered legs recently is the Tales of Asia one,  as I presumed all the guys here have a least one funny tale to tell of their times in the region.  But so far zilch... no pressure gents :)  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Woodie said:

I have a feeling that the number of replies and likes etc. are generated by the popularity of who made the posting in the first place. Whether that person is a long standing member or has a commercial interest in Pattaya.

I hope thats not the case. Cliques belongs to another board.

Of course we have a few bar owners posting here promoting their bars, which is nice. I wish Jimbo could post here but its not worth the trouble, I guess. Plus on another board hes got a few fanboys so far up his ass buying virtual drinks, I doubt he'd get here, but I really wish he could post here. I like him and his bar.

11 hours ago, Jimmy Cargopants said:

I like to hear about people's personal histories... careers, families, travels, home countries.

I agree.

2 hours ago, bubba said:

I found there are writers and there are writers or penmen

We used to have a great writer here. Ken G, aussie. Haven't heard from in a long time though.

• Like 1

One of the issues with posting on the board in my opinion is that you can see the likes but not who liked a post. There is a good and bad aspect to that - the good aspect is that board members don't start rewarding each other likes, which discourages cliques forming (agree that they are a bad thing); the unfortunate part is that you don't really know if a post has really hit home. You know a post has got likes, but it's a bit vague and meaningless (IMO) when you don't know who it is. 

It takes away the confidence to post what you really want (maybe that's just me). I reiterate - there's a good reason for anonymous likes but I think it can be an impediment to a real sense of community developing on this forum. Perhaps you can't have one without the other... that sense of community without the cliques emerging.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jimmy Cargopants said:

One of the issues with posting on the board in my opinion is that you can see the likes but not who liked a post. There is a good and bad aspect to that - the good aspect is that board members don't start rewarding each other likes, which discourages cliques forming (agree that they are a bad thing); the unfortunate part is that you don't really know if a post has really hit home.

You sum up the pros and cons quite nicely Jimmy.   :biggrin:

We felt that a public display of Likes would add a hostile feel to the board if guys publicly Like a hostile attack post and would encourage cliques.  When LBR first started, our members came from 3 existing forums.   Many guys from two of the forums knew each other well for years and we were concerned that there would be an us vs them mentality between the guys from those two forums and the third so thought the absence of Public Likes (called Reputation back then) would help build a sense of community.  One of our main objectives is to keep LBR as friendly as possible given that many forums tend to get nasty with long standing feuds between members.  A good example of this nastiness is the Thai Visa forum whose posters tend to be grumpy expats who delight in snarky comments.  Quite interesting to read the snarky comments but don't want to be on the receiving end of them so don't post there much.  It is an excellent source of info about Thailand though.

I admit on a forum on which I sometimes post that has nothing to do with Southeast Asia or mongering it is nice to see who liked my post.   But I guess we felt that if someone really likes a post they always have the option of responding to it.  So lots of pros and we chose the route that we thought would result in a friendlier forum. 

• Like 4

On 9/23/2020 at 3:08 AM, bumblebee said:

Actually a thread I thought might have gathered legs recently is the Tales of Asia one,  as I presumed all the guys here have a least one funny tale to tell of their times in the region.  But so far zilch... no pressure gents :)  

Three posts, one by Randi, one by Jimmy, and one by JSG are being moved to the Tales of Asia thread.

http://www.ladyboyreview.com/index.php?/topic/9212-tales-of-asia-amusing-anecdotes-of-our-travels/

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 9/23/2020 at 4:38 AM, Pdoggg said:

A good example of this nastiness is the Thai Visa forum whose posters tend to be grumpy expats who delight in snarky comments. 

Was Thai Visa taken over by the group that runs Pattaya Addicts (amongst other forums...) and is now:

https://www.thailand-247.com/ ?

or is TV now:

https://aseannow.com/

and t-247 is a new forum, i.e. they have different owners? :close_tema:

Don't quite get the difference between the two:

IMG_20210702_132519.jpg.4be49cc70b841f210c16780157a0a5ea.jpg

One can only hope for the better...:Bug:

Can't say I miss TV...

PS: I think here's the explanation:

https://www.thephuketnews.com/thaivisa-rebrands-expands-beyond-thailand-80535.php

Edited by Papa Sam
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Papa Sam said:

Can't say I miss TV...

Yes, rebranded to include all of ASEAN although I reckon there won't be much Brunei activity.    The GrumpyExpats.com domain name was available for about 100 bucks but I guess they didn't go in that direction.

In fairness, TV is probably the best source for visa, banking, legal issues in Thailand and I browse it at times to find info and to give back, I sometimes describe my experiences in these areas but don't get involved in the battles between bitter expats.

247 looks like a Nightwish aligned operation.   It's logical for them to attempt to position themselves as the real Thailand forum but the TV rebranding is not going to diminish TV's number one standing in Thailand. 

• Like 1

how about those BM on Forums about sex with ladyboys who post about everything......EXCEPT FOR STORIES ABOUT SEX WITH LADYBOYS FOR MONEY. Like Soidog.

This just posted today by me today;

https://www.ladyboyspattaya.com/topic/41162-interested-in-what-to-expect-from-having-the-company-of-a-ladyboy/?do=findComment&comment=1243138

SoiDog,

You do realize this is an internet Forum about having sex with Ladyboys for money…… right?

Yet it’s so curious. Not a single post about sex with Ladyboys from the most mouthy poster on this Forum!!!!

Not a single recent trip report, not a nugget about any sexual encounter.

Just a grumpy old man on a soap box bitter about how youth today are no good, or judgement about some other BM’s post, etc….(as if you have nothing better in life to do…..like spending your time using your dick instead of being one).

Actually, it’s become super obvious to a growing number of BMs that there is a reason for this.

To quote the Bard:

Me Doth Think the Blue Pill no longer Works for the Dog”…….and that’s why yee protest so much.

Screenshot_20210703-075836_Google.jpg

SmartSelect_20210703-080209_Google.jpg

•  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

Not being funny here but wtf what have   'spats'  that occur between guys on 'another' forum  have got to do with 'this' forum, seems to have been a regular occurrence here for some time.  

It's time get over it ladies ffs, you all know who you are :wink:

• Like 5

3 hours ago, duke007 said:

(...)   It's time get over it ladies ffs, you all know who you are :wink:

“get over it ladies” ?   I don’t recall you ever stepping in as the voice of reason “at the other forum” where BMs are routinely flamed, bullied, slandered … not once!  But at least you never posted to side with the pricks either … coherence would entail not taking sides here either…

I may be a mischievous sort of person, but I govern my life by a deep sense of justice and merit when it comes to relating to others.  My nature is to defy unjust and incompetent authorities and “the other forum” is an exasperating showcase for both.  To the point that  I can no longer stand to even peek around there under one of my stealth accounts which force me to remain silent in the face of said injustices and incompetencies.

I am curious what happened after The-Sith made that post about the softdog. @The-Sith  well done! and what happened following your post ?

Rom

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, duke007 said:

Why don't you go and take a look :wink:

After I raided there at the end of last year to announce the 2020 Romscars (straight on the root admin's face) I lost another account, which is no big deal but I still hate that they have the power to do it.  I made it my New Year's resolution to not waste so much time there and once you start not checking a Board every day you kinda loose touch and interest.   I could go there now and check (maybe I have) but I'd rather The-Sith posted it.  I am sure he got PMs from the softdog's caretakers so perhaps he will give us more insight than I could get by peeking myself...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rom said:

I made it my New Year's resolution

1..to not waste so much time there and once you start not checking a Board every day you kinda loose touch and interest. I could go there now and check (maybe I have) 2..but I'd rather The Sith posted it. 

3...I am sure he got PMs from the softdog caretaker's  so perhaps he will give us more insight than I could get by peeking myself...

1...But you still are kinda obsessed with it

2...I don't get why The-Sith posted his 'spat' with the Hound (that happened on the LadyboysPattaya forum) here in the first place

3...Absolute Bollocks imho or maybe he can confirm that

And for the record I have met, conversed and drank with soidog, and would happily do so again, I find him OK, maybe its a 'Brit' thing. B)

I also find Scott from Sensations to be a good guy. 

Oh, and Onetruesaxon/Fievel/Thompson Twins is a very good mate of mine. :wink:

Each to their own I guess, have a nice day now :drinks:

I never ever engage on 1-on-1 spats with other BMs.   Not here.  Not at PY.  2 exchanges is as far as I go. And only if I like the other BM sufficiently to acknowledge him.

In the case of the rabid PY BM who The-Sith just busted, he used to attack me viciously and I would just completely ignore him.  At PY and here where he joined right after I did so he could continue to heckle me.  What I do is I wait for the right moment and use my weapon of choice:  drafted WIT :

Did anyone notice how I used it in my previous 2 posts above ?    If enough BMs did, it will likely stick.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rom said:

I never ever engage on 1-on-1 spats with other BMs.   Not here.  Not at PY.  2 exchanges is as far as I go. And only if I like the other BM sufficiently to acknowledge him.

In the case of the rabid PY BM who The-Sith just busted, he used to attack me viciously and I would just completely ignore him.  At PY and here where he joined right after I did so he could continue to heckle me.  What I do is I wait for the right moment and use my weapon of choice:  drafted WIT :

Did anyone notice how I used it in my previous 2 posts above ?    If enough BMs did, it will likely stick.

PY this, PY that, PY and the fucking other, the majority could not care less about reading the 'spats' here on the LBR forum. 

Zzzzzzzzzzzz  

No wonder a lot of the stalwarts of this forum (for many years) haven't bothered posting here for a long time. :search:

• Like 1

Agree with you Mr. Bond , Hush Puppy is an ok guy in real time we have had many a chat at Zaza and Emmy bar also have had a few meals together out and about.  He is a normal guy face to face , yes we all have a different look on life and that's what we are . 

As for other forum like p y and even Thai visa , there seems to be screwy people everywhere,  thank fuck I am normal   . Now back to the show B)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, duke007 said:

And for the record I have met, conversed and drank with soidog, and would happily do so again, I find him OK, maybe its a 'Brit' thing. B)

I'm sure he's a great tolerant guy, not the least bitter and judgemental, its just doesn't come through from his PY persona. So I  don't understand why you feel the need to defend him here, as you just stated who cares what goes on on PY. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, duke007 said:

PY this, PY that, PY and the fucking other, the majority could not care less about reading the 'spats' here on the LBR forum. 

Zzzzzzzzzzzz  

No wonder a lot of the stalwarts of this forum (for many years) haven't bothered posting here for a long time. :search:

I can only agree with you, duke. Sure, not everyone likes everyone, but why drag a post from another forum onto this one. If you want to get stuck in about it, go onto that forum. And it's not just a Brit thing. I'm an Aussie (ok, open to insults I suppose) but I've spent time with soidog and, like you, I'd be happy to do so again.

So let's enjoy what this forum has to offer, and let any other forum do it's thing.

• Like 3