When / if you get bored

stoolpusher

For the all you guys that live or on an extended holiday in Thailand  , what do you do in your day to day stuff so boredom does not set it . As most of you know I have farm duties so I am always doing something and enjoy farm life. 

Talking to some of you I know some like fishing or golf and I wonder if all some guys have to do all day is sit in a condo and look at stuff on the TV or computer  , there has to be more to life then 4 walls. 

So my question is , What do you do apart from the ladyboy scene .

• Like 3

I'm led to believe that horse racing will (maybe) start again in Bangkok and Korat in the next month or so. I haven't been to Korat yet (a sand track) but the Royal Bangkok Sports Club has a grass track, where they raced every second Sunday. I'll keep an eye on race dates, but here's a reminder of the bangkok track.

20190811_135204.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cobber32 said:

Royal Bangkok Sports Club

Pari mutual system of betting?   What is the expected value of a ticket or in other words how much is taken out of the return by the track/government?   Is there an English racing form with past performance stats?

Near the BTS or MRT?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pdoggg said:

Pari mutual system of betting?   What is the expected value of a ticket or in other words how much is taken out of the return by the track/government?   Is there an English racing form with past performance stats?

Near the BTS or MRT?

What I can tell you now is as it was before covid brought it all to a halt. Anything new, when it starts up again, I'll try to update.

Betting: All totalizator betting, minimum 50 baht (and multiples of 50 baht). Win, Place (1st, 2nd or 3rd), Quinella (1st and 2nd, in any order), Trifecta (1st, 2nd, 3rd in order). Only on course and only on the current race (you can't put a bet on a race later than the one with the horses on the track). On the screens, approximate odds are shown for 10 baht

Form guides: Along Henri Dunant Road (avenue) there were many stands selling form guides, mostly Thai, but there was an English guide  for 100 baht, but it only gave Bangkok form; some Thai guides cover form at all tracks (e.g. Chiang Mai, Udon Thani and Korat, as well as Bangkok)

Getting there: I'd suggest BTS to Siam, and walk or motorbike taxi down Henri Dunant Road to the gates. Best view is at 200 baht but 100 baht is ok if you like looking up the straight from past the winning post.

I'm not the resident expert, just a bloke who has spent a lifetime at the races. As I've said before, Royal Ascot or Randwick it is not, but you can have an interesting day out for a small outlay - something different. Anyway, I'll try to find out what is the current set up, and also for Korat if/when it starts up also

• Like 3

Good topic SP.  When in Los I spend most afternoons on Dongtan beach with the missus.  I guess my days off would be the ones when she is otherwise occupied.  On those days of me time I enjoy nothing better than a good stroll out along the coast with the camera, till I get to within view of the Sanctuary of Truth.  I tend to chill there at a small harbour for a break before returning to town accompanied by the sunset over Koh Larn.  

E26FB358-A82A-4EB2-A55B-68123EE6337F.jpeg

• Like 5

I am rarely bored.  It always seems that something is filling up my day.  Even during the days of severe covid restrictions in Pattaya, I was never bored although I was agitated and antsy when not being able to use the pool.  I have lots more time on my hands than last year when I was teaching in Cambodia but things seem to fill the gap.

Since 2015 the Bernie campaign and the rise of Trump has rekindled my interest in politics.   That will probably carry over to some degree in the probable Biden administration.  The next 6 weeks will eb interesting as I love the horserace aspect of the election, figuring out various roadmaps to 270 electoral votes.  Post election day should be interesting too as a tight Biden victory will unleash a shitstorm.

I like swimming but have never been in the water in either Pattaya or Jomtien as I like clean water but a pool is OK with me.  I'm online quite a bit and also read.

I don't seem to get lonely as I am OK with my own company.   Even in Cambodia where I didn't have lots of friends, chatting to other teachers in the staff room fulfilled by need for conversing with barangs.

Bars only take up one night a week, occasionally two.  Don't like waking up with a hangover. Too bad they don't serve synthahol like they do in the 23rd century Star Treks where you can just shake off the effects of booze.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, bumblebee said:

Good topic SP.  When in Los I spend most afternoons on Dongtan beach with the missus.  I guess my days off would be the ones when she is otherwise occupied.  On those days of me time I enjoy nothing better than a good stroll out along the coast with the camera, till I get to within view of the Sanctuary of Truth.  I tend to chill there at a small harbour for a break before returning to town accompanied by the sunset over Koh Larn.  

E26FB358-A82A-4EB2-A55B-68123EE6337F.jpeg

You know what BB. I think you watched those American travelogues they made in the 50's where the final words were," We say good bye to Koh Larn as the sun sets slowly in the west".

• Like 1

20 hours ago, stoolpusher said:

Thanks for the post BB 

Its an amazing country with so much to do and see without really breaking the bank .

Absolutely, if I have some food in the fridge for brunch, then on a solo stroll day I may not even break 200 B before I hit the hay in the evening.  And I go to bed full and content, magic. 

• Like 2

Piggy, you over estimate the American public.  Remember they voted in Shrub (bush jr.) TWICE as they seem to like to do for decades now. Remember what PT Barnum said.

were I there I'd probably be loving it with no crowds. I'm not much of a bar goer and do not view baking on hot sand as fun.  I'm a solitary sort like you I spose and have no problem spending time alone puttering around on small tasks.  Probably I'd buy a bicycle and really get around as the traffic is probably pretty sparse there now.

• 1 month later...

Hold your horses. Pun intended. I may have been premature in saying horse racing may return soon in Thailand. As it stands with the emergency decree extended, it is hard to see race meetings resuming anytime soon. Trainers must be in a quandry about preparing horses to race, owners still have to meet feed and vet bills, and training fees. And all the spin-offs such as race books printing (and selling), catering at meetings, race day staff, and jockeys and strappers must be feeling the pinch.

Obviously it's an interest of mine, but I'll try to post any updated information I can get at.

• Like 2

Good Topic and good posts all around.

I think I would love a tourist free Thailand/Cambodia. My favorite memory of traveling in the region was 4 days I spend on Koh Rong Island in Cambodia back in 2011, and spending all day on 4K Beach, and no other persons were there except me and my ladyboy traveling companion.  I have watched a few VLoggers videos on the lslands during pandemic, and to me, a beach with no people (as long as I could get a meal), would be awesome.

2011-12-07015457.jpg

Koh Rong Kayak.jpg

Koh Rong Waterbuffalo.jpg

2011-12-08 20.10.24.jpg

• Like 5