Wifi

Pdoggg

I've always benn in a situation in which WiFi was provided to me by the building where I live.  As a backup, and for guaranteed access when out and about I usually have a cheap phone plan.

I may be in a situation soon where I will have to sort out my own WiFi and I'm confused.

Easy installation is important to me as well as easy ongoing maintenence.. Also might only be In a new location for a year if that matters.

One guy I know suggested an AIS plugin router.  It appears that it would cost 2000 for the router including setup and then 1000 a month.

https://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/super_meshwifi.html

Any ideas gents?

One option is to look into getting the best possible unlimited data package deal from one of the major networks such as 12 call or Dtac etc and using your phone then as a wifi Hub for when you wish to use your laptop. If you need to update your phone to a good Android model then look at the deals available when you go for a contract purchase as apposed to a outright purchase as the contract purchase can give unlimited text, calls all bundled in. You would need your Partner to be the front purchaser to get the phone on contract I would reckon.  :drinks:

• Like 1

I signed with CAT . they had a special on ( first 3 months free ) up to  200 mbps ( average is 120 ) unlimited download for 400 baht per month including the modem fully installed and they used fiber cable , up here in Tha Bo.

I have seen the CAT trucks in Pattaya 

• Like 2

Went to AIS at Central today and was told that I could but a pocket wifi with Sim Net Marathon for 2,345 baht.  This includes a year of free internet at a speed of 10 Mbs subject to a limit of 100 GB a month.

https://store.ais.co.th/en/ais-4g-hi-speed-pocket-wifi.html

Note the link doesn't explicitly mention these conditions.  Seems like a good deal though.

1 hour ago, Pdoggg said:

Went to AIS at Central today and was told that I could but a pocket wifi with Sim Net Marathon for 2,345 baht.  This includes a year of free internet at a speed of 10 Mbs subject to a limit of 100 GB a month.

https://store.ais.co.th/en/ais-4g-hi-speed-pocket-wifi.html

Note the link doesn't explicitly mention these conditions.  Seems like a good deal though.

That is pretty slow 10 mbps .

get your girl to give CAT a call Mr. P    1322 or www.cattelecom.com  . Its another option for you.

I am very happy with the speed I have and unlimited download to boot

On 8/30/2020 at 7:10 PM, stoolpusher said:

I signed with CAT . they had a special on ( first 3 months free ) up to  200 mbps ( average is 120 ) unlimited download for 400 baht per month including the modem fully installed and they used fiber cable , up here in Tha Bo.

I have seen the CAT trucks in Pattaya 

So CAT had to screw around with wires in your house?    I don't know the correct terminology but I think with condos because of wiring constraints I will be restricted to one company.  I will ask at the condo.

But with pocket wifi, I think I can go with any company/plan but would prefer to purchase the plan and the wifi router at the same place.

I also dropped into True today and they said they had no wireless routers in stock.

The problem is when searching around I don't know the proper terminology to do the most appropriate search.

I hate tech.

The cat guys had to run a new wire from about 200 meters from the Junction box to the house ,that was all included in the 400 bath per month, NO joining fee .

The little pocket WiFi you can get at most phone shops and a sim , if you go that option and are happy with your sim provider now , then give them a go . You can always change sim companies when a better deal pops up .

I have one of those pocket things but WiFi kept dropping out , that was when I had Zaza 2 it could have been my location 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pdoggg said:

So CAT had to screw around with wires in your house?    I don't know the correct terminology but I think with condos because of wiring constraints I will be restricted to one company.  I will ask at the condo.

But with pocket wifi, I think I can go with any company/plan but would prefer to purchase the plan and the wifi router at the same place.

I also dropped into True today and they said they had no wireless routers in stock.

The problem is when searching around I don't know the proper terminology to do the most appropriate search.

I hate tech.

You shouldn't need a router , the pocket wifi works just like using your phones WiFi to work your pc or tablet 

• Like 1

Nosher, your pic looks like it can easily fit in your pocket but what AIS calls pocket WiFi is much bigger (pic below).

To be honest, I don't even know if your thingy gets stuck into a laptop or a wall socket.

Most descriptions of these pocket thingies, Sims, and monthly plan assumes that the reader has a basic understanding of the product which I don't.

LINE_P20200901_005559870.jpg

6 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Nosher, your pic looks like it can easily fit in your pocket but what AIS calls pocket WiFi is much bigger (pic below).

To be honest, I don't even know if your thingy gets stuck into a laptop or a wall socket.

Most descriptions of these pocket thingies, Sims, and monthly plan assumes that the reader has a basic understanding of the product which I don't.

How big is this one?

Thats a mobile internet USB with a sim card. Size of a regular USB memory stick, for laptops when you don't have access to WiFi.

You get those for free over here if you sign up for a plan, but no one wants them as they are very unreliable.

56 minutes ago, seven said:

How big is this one?

Thats a mobile internet USB with a sim card. Size of a regular USB memory stick, for laptops when you don't have access to WiFi.

You get those for free over here if you sign up for a plan, but no one wants them as they are very unreliable.

The one I have worked fine , it was not good up in the room because of the concrete walls and such but outside it was great but expensive topping it up all the time .

I bought it outright and not on a plan  

13 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

His thingy gets stuck in a lot of places!

The pocket WiFi promotion includes the device and SIM for 2,355 baht.

But for those of you who only want a SIM this particular Marathon deal looks great. Note there are other Marathon deals that are cheaper but have a more restrictive download speed and a more restrictive monthly data limit.

This plan has a 10 Mbs download speed and a 100 GB per month data limit. Think you can also make calls in the AIS network for free.  You pay 1790 baht upfront for the year ehich works out to about 150 baht a month.

https://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/en/marathon1790.html

21 minutes ago, Pdoggg said:

The pocket WiFi promotion includes the device and SIM for 2,355 baht.

Same price as in Europe. So I guess your excellent AIS plan you had earlier this year is no mas?  Was the best deal I have ever had, unlimited for 200b a month.

10 minutes ago, seven said:

Same price as in Europe. So I guess your excellent AIS plan you had earlier this year is no mas?  Was the best deal I have ever had, unlimited for 200b a month.

No mas after 12 months of use. Will be intetesting to see what plans get rolled out this November for those who will need a new plan then.  I will probably do this marathon SIM that works out to 150 per month but paid upfront annually.

On 8/30/2020 at 5:41 AM, Pdoggg said:

I'

One guy I know suggested an AIS plugin router.  It appears that it would cost 2000 for the router including setup and then 1000 a month.

https://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/super_meshwifi.html

Any ideas gents?

These routers only work on Fibre Optic installations ...or so it seems

Basically you have three types of cable installs and they will each need a different router, the issue is that many Companies tell lies... 

1  Fibre Optic.... the best but many companies tell lies and dont really have full Fibre unless you live Seoul so you probably need to get the router from the service provider so it matches up in case its not full Fibre

2 Fibre to the street Cabinet and short copper link to the home.. ( what many claim as Fibre)

3 Copper wire...... hopeless

of course then you have the Dongles  ..most of these are useless ... may as well tether to your Device via smartphone

You will probably be limited to what wire the Condo has installed ... but u need to check it out

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomcat said:

These routers only work on Fibre Optic installations ...or so it seems

Basically you have three types of cable installs and they will each need a different router, the issue is that many Companies tell lies... 

1  Fibre Optic.... the best but many companies tell lies and dont really have full Fibre unless you live Seoul so you probably need to get the router from the service provider so it matches up in case its not full Fibre

2 Fibre to the street Cabinet and short copper link to the home.. ( what many claim as Fibre)

3 Copper wire...... hopeless

of course then you have the Dongles  ..most of these are useless ... may as well tether to your Device via smartphone

You will probably be limited to what wire the Condo has installed ... but u need to check it out

The one I have is fibre from the Junction box out on the soi , about 200 metres from my house . Its a single Fibre cable that looks like a piece of glass and super sharp and very brittle,  they used this special machine to join the cable to the router . I know all this because I watched the hole process 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2020 at 12:54 AM, Pdoggg said:

I bought this today.   Works out to 200 baht a month for internet and pocket wifi unit.    

10 Mbs per second is what I have on my phone right now.   Could have waited a couple of months and use my phone as a hotspot because I have an unlimited plan but wanted to get this deal in case it is not available in the future.   I also presume that a device made solely to be. a hotspot might perform better, have a better range etc, than a mobile hotspot given the same Sim.

Total is 2345 for the year.  For comparison AIS has a one month unlimited for 1100.  This Sim is not actually unlimited but 100 GB per month is unlimited for me.  Maybe a difference if you download lots of torrents or stream 24/7.

If you have no need for the device but like the plan you can get 100 GB per month at a speed of 10 Mbs for 1800 if you go to the AIS store at Central and ask for the 1800baht Marathon Sim.

For comparison:

https://www.ais.co.th/package/package_net_non_stop.html

I'll probably get the 1800 baht deal for my phone when my current plan expires in November.

• Like 1