2021 Tourism

Pdoggg

Do You Think 2021 Foreign Thai Tourism Will Be 75% Less Than 2019  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Think 2021 Foreign Thai Tourism Will Be 75% Less Than 2019

• More Than A 75% Decrease
    • Less Than A 75% Decrease
    • About 75%

In a worst-case scenario, the Thai tourism sector is expected to generate revenue of Bt676.7 billion next year due to the impact of the Covid-19 outbreak, Tourism Authority of Thailand Governor Yuthasak Supasorn said.

This represents a drop of 9 per cent from the previous worst-case scenario forecast for this year of Bt742.5 billion, a sharp decline of 75 per cent from around Bt3 trillion last year.

https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30392672

I don't view this as a worst case scenario. Rather it seems like a likely scenario. If there was an Over/Under betting line I'd wager the Over.

I think an extremely rosy optimistic scenario would be letting in tourists this November with a 2 week quarantine and if Covid is tamed worldwide let tourists in without a quarantine in late 2021. 

What do you think?

• Like 1

I voted more than "A 75% Decrease", I believe the damage that the Thai Government is inflicting on it's people is far greater than the damage that Covid 19 can do. I know we haven't even seen the full ramifications of what shutting down it's borders has done to the working class Thai let alone the industry that we like to dabble in on our trips. I have resigned myself to the idea that I may never be able to have another trip to Thailand unless there is some miraculous vaccine produced that can guarantee that the virus is halted.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BigTel said:

I voted more than "A 75% Decrease", I believe the damage that the Thai Government is inflicting on it's people is far greater than the damage that Covid 19 can do. I know we haven't even seen the full ramifications of what shutting down it's borders has done to the working class Thai let alone the industry that we like to dabble in on our trips. I have resigned myself to the idea that I may never be able to have another trip to Thailand unless there is some miraculous vaccine produced that can guarantee that the virus is halted.

those of us that live here see the damage Big Tel. it isn't good.

you are bang on.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, blind boy grunt said:

those of us that live here see the damage Big Tel. it isn't good.

you are bang on.

Thank you BBG,  it gives me no pleasure in being right on this one, it's very disturbing what is ahead.

• Like 1

with any luck at least this may stop the light speed "modernizing" of Thailand. There's already enough skyscraper condos in Bangkok and this rail to China is not a good idea. Perhaps it will curtail dam building on the Mekong? The "if you build it more will come to fill it" mentality has outright destroyed many charming places in Southeast Asia as it is.  There is precious little "Thai culture" left, even in the countryside. Everyone whizzing around on moto's, with iPhone in hand, etc. 

I don't think many of the elite are sad that tourism is ending.  They'll have a MUCH more compliant populace and cheaper wages going out. It's THEIR country again.  I think they like that. Covid has accelerated their plan to make Thailand for THAI'S a reality.  Um, rich Thai's that is.  Only the dying out of the old guard will help.  Expect to see borderline brutal crackdowns on dissent in the future.

• Like 3