China

seven

Ecuador navy surveils large Chinese fishing fleet near Galapagos

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ecuador-navy-surveils-large-chinese-150445597.html

ABOARD ECUADOREAN NAVY AIRCRAFT (Reuters) - Ecuador's navy is conducting surveillance of a large Chinese fishing fleet that is operating near the protected waters of the Galapagos Islands, amid concerns about the environmental impact of fishing in the area of the ecologically sensitive islands.

The navy conducted a patrol mission on Friday that included a flyover of the region where some 260 hulking vessels are fishing, as well as reconnaissance by military patrol ships.

Images taken as part of the flyover, which included journalists, showed that at least one of the vessels appeared to be ageing and in need of maintenance.

The fishing fleet has since 2017 been arriving in the summer months and fishing just outside the Galapagos territorial waters, drawn by marine species such as the endangered hammerhead shark.

92592dee4e89ebeb90b4a51f092e4130.jpgShark fin soup? Bats? Anyone?

• Like 1

Celebrities Have Used Their Platforms to Speak Out on Social Justice Issues. But Why Won’t They Stand Up to China?

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3azjj8/zara-larsson-china-hong-kong-social-justice-huawei

Swedish pop star Zara Larsson, known for her hit songs “Ruin My Life” and “Never Forget You,” spoke out against Beijing’s growing political influence in Hong Kong and alleged human rights abuses in Xinjiang in a rare display of resistance against the global power.

“China is not a nice state,” the 22-year-old said during an interview with Swedish broadcaster TV4 on Tuesday, August 4. “I do not want to support what they do.”

In her interview, Larrson also announced the end of her endorsement deal with Chinese telecommunications giant Huawei, which has faced accusations of stealing its competitors’ intellectual property and being linked to the Chinese Communist Party. Huawei has denied these allegations.

1596704364328-0631195138594.jpeg

Zara Larsson Removed by Apple Music In China After Artist Criticizes the Country

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2020/08/10/zara-larsson-apple-music-china/

Less than one week ago, singer-songwriter Zara Larsson criticized Chinese government policies – and announced that she had ceased promoting Huawei – in an interview with TV4, a television network in her native Sweden. Now, the 22-year-old’s songs are no longer available to Apple Music subscribers in China.

Larsson-Main.jpg

• 1 month later...

Good. Obviously Thailand isn't on the list of these advanced democracies , and they now welcome chinese as their first batch of tourists after the pandemic, which was started by the chinese.

China Global Views Poll

Negative views of China rise sharply in advanced democracies

https://www.yahoo.com/news/negative-views-china-rise-sharply-140151099.html

Negative perceptions of China have increased sharply among people in several advanced democracies, especially in Australia and Britain, according to a survey from the Pew Research Center released Tuesday.

The survey comes as China is engaged in multiple trade and diplomatic disputes with its neighbors and other countries, driven in part by a more aggressive diplomatic approach.

The survey conducted in 14 democratic countries with advanced economies showed a majority of people had an unfavorable view of China. It was conducted from June 10 to Aug. 3 among 14,276 adults across the 14 countries via telephone.

In Australia, 81% said they have an unfavorable view of China, according to the survey, a rise of 24 percentage points from last year.

The rise corresponds with higher tensions in the bilateral relationship after Australia led the call for an international investigation into the origins of the coronavirus. China responded on the trade front, suspending imports of Australian beef, putting high tariffs on barley from the country and starting an anti-dumping probe into imports of Australian wine.

While the survey showed Australia had the sharpest increase in negative attitudes toward China, other countries also showed an upward trend: Those with an unfavorable view toward China hit 74% in Britain, a rise of 19 percentage points compared to last year; 71% in Germany, a rise of 15 points; and 73% in the U.S., a rise of 13 points.

The 14 countries surveyed were the U.S., Canada, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, the U.K., Australia, Japan and South Korea. The margin of error for the survey ranged from 3.1 percentage points in South Korea to 4.2 percentage points in Belgium.

In most countries surveyed, those with higher income levels were equally likely as those with lower levels of income to hold the negative views. The negative views also held across education levels, as those with a postsecondary degree or more were equally likely to have unfavorable views of China as those with less education.

Further, in nine of the surveyed countries — Spain, Germany, Canada, the Netherlands, the U.S., the U.K., South Korea, Sweden and Australia — negative views have reached their highest level in the 12 or more years that the center has been conducting the survey in those countries, according to Pew Research Center.

Many democratic countries, including those surveyed, condemned China earlier this year when it pushed through a new national security law in Hong Kong that critics say infringe on rights promised to the former British colony when it was handed to Chinese rule.

One of the most important factors with regard to China’s reputation abroad has been the coronavirus. The virus emerged late last year in the central Chinese city of Wuhan and has since spread around the world. China has been criticized for not being fast enough in its initial response and for attempting to cover up early reports of the virus.

The survey found a majority held a negative view of how China has handled the coronavirus, with a median of 61% across the 14 countries saying China had handled the outbreak poorly. Even more respondents — 84% — said the U.S. has handled the outbreak poorly.

Those who believed China did poorly in dealing with the pandemic were much more likely to view the country in a negative light.

Citizens in the surveyed countries also do not trust China's leader Xi Jinping, with a median of 78% saying they do not have confidence in him to do the right thing in world affairs.

Only U.S. President Donald Trump had a worse reputation among those surveyed, with a median of 83% saying they do not trust him.

Trump has been one of the most vocal critics of China, continuing to blame Beijing for the coronavirus while trying to play down the impact the virus has had in the U.S., which has reported the world’s highest death toll from COVID-19.

fb14af3a579f5e18b2252d6cb949baaa.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 5:42 PM, seven said:

The list is endless. What a shit nation it is.

I agree but I see more Western apologists for China, as in "Well, the virus is here, so criticizing China is not productive."

They same apologist would be baying for blood if their employer laid them off -because of the virus- and the government announced no funds for payments to the unemployed.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, seven said:

and they now welcome chinese as their first batch of tourists after the pandemic, which was started by the chinese.

This fact I find really gets to me, I cannot understand why the West seems to not want to retaliate against what I see as a Bio attack. Regarding the Western apologists I see these as even worse than the actual CCP, utter cowards .

9 hours ago, BigTel said:

I cannot understand why the West seems to not want to retaliate against what I see as a Bio attack.

Beats me. Maybe because folks in charge are still getting paychecks? A blackjack dealer in Las Vegas -who used to make a decent living- probably feels differently. After losing his car and house, he might want a little payback.

• 2 weeks later...

When I read this earlier on today I was not surprised.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8854129/Chinas-economy-grows-4-9-rest-world-crippled-coronavirus.html

China's economy grows 4.9% as industrial production surges, retail sales rise and unemployment sinks - while the rest of the world is crippled by coronavirus epidemic that started in Wuhan

2 hours ago, BigTel said:

China's economy grows 4.9% as industrial production surges, retail sales rise and unemployment sinks - while the rest of the world is crippled by coronavirus epidemic that started in Wuhan

One thing dictatorships can do is get stuff done. Chinese buildings may fall down from faulty concrete, but they can get them built any way.

China still relies on exports, so as long as the rest of the world is buying, they will do well. Until they don't...

3 hours ago, lance2546 said:

long as the rest of the world is buying

That is changing in Europe at least. People don't want the cheap junk made in china after they fucked over the world with covid-19. Maybe you guys do , but not over here. You bought the Huawei 5G, right?:biggrin:

3 hours ago, lance2546 said:

One thing dictatorships can do is get stuff done.

You say this like its a good thing. 

Simples really. Hit em where it hurts, money and power:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sweden-bans-huawei-zte-gear-073554809.html

Sweden bans Huawei, ZTE from upcoming 5G networks

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Sweden on Tuesday banned on security grounds the use of telecom equipment from China's Huawei and ZTE <000063.SZ> in its 5G network ahead of a spectrum auction scheduled for next month, joining other European nations that have restricted the role of Chinese suppliers.

he Swedish Post and Telecom Authority (PTS) said https://www.pts.se/en/news/press-releases/2020/four-companies-approved-for-participation-in-the-3.5-ghz-and-2.3-ghz-auctions the setting of the licence conditions followed assessments by the Swedish Armed Forces and security service, which called China "one of the biggest threats against Sweden".

European governments have been tightening controls on Chinese companies building 5G networks, following diplomatic pressure from Washington, which alleges Huawei equipment could be used by Beijing for spying. Huawei has repeatedly denied being a national security risk.

The United Kingdom in July ordered Huawei equipment to be purged completely from Britain's 5G network by 2027, becoming one of the first European countries to do so.

Huawei and ZTE did not immediately respond to requests for comment on the decision by Sweden, home to Ericsson <ERICb.ST>, one of Europe's leading telecoms equipment suppliers. The Chinese foreign ministry did not immediately comment.

PTS said companies taking part in the auction must remove Huawei and ZTE gear from existing central functions by Jan. 1, 2025.

The regulator defined central functions as equipment used to build the radio access, transmission and core networks as well as the service and maintenance of the network.

PTS said the licence conditions were aimed at addressing the assessments by the armed forces and security service.

Many operators have already proven that when they rip and replace Chinese equipment, it doesn't have a negative impact on their capital spending," said industry consultant John Strand.

The 5G spectrum auction was originally planned for early 2020, but last year PTS said it would delay the auction due to a security review. PTS announced in April this year that the auction would begin in November.

• Like 1

Thailand receives a group of tourists from China, the first such arrivals since a ban on commercial flights was imposed in April to combat the coronavirus pandemic, even as street demonstrations escalate.

Thirty-nine tourists from Shanghai arrived at the country's main Suvarnabhumi Airport, the airport's deputy director, Kittipong Kittikachorn, said in a statement.

• Like 1

Apple’s Shifting Supply Chain Creates Boomtowns in Rural Vietnam

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/apple-shifting-supply-chain-creates-210000612.html

Not long ago Vietnam’s Bac Giang province was one of the nation’s poorest regions, known for producing rice, lychees and poultry dubbed “running chicken.” That was before the global tech supply chain shifted its way.

The boom in Bac Giang highlights how the shift in the world’s supply chains is touching regions previously left behind. Vietnam’s ability to attract more sophisticated manufacturing is accelerating with rising Chinese labor costs, the U.S.-China trade war and logistics vulnerabilities amid the epidemic, which the nation’s Communist leaders have so far successfully curtailed.

5a81288268ecc4ebe902d41664bcbab0.jpg

36f1761c7ef90a3de7a9cab8ca92b6c6.jpg

ec40d7e5fca18258d9d7b4cc256880ba.jpg

cad587b2144da7bbd91b2c64cab56ab5.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Topic is China.  I have a child who was gung ho on studying Mandarin, and became proficient in speaking it after two years study. Decided to spend a summer in Chengdu to improve her skills.   She is very open minded and curious to meet new people.  After that summer she lost all interest in all things China.  She was not impressed.

My casual observation of my brief travels through S.E. Asia is that basically the US has done what Nicolo Machiavelli warned centuries ago in his most known work "The Prince"  - "From this a general rule is drawn which never or rarely fails: that he who is the cause of another becoming powerful is ruined..."

Basically, unpatriotic American capital fled to China to make more capital and in the process made China a super power, and consequently, the US will be paying tribute to the Chinese Communist Party in the future.  I'm not a China hater, just one who understands real politics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandiUno2 said:

unpatriotic American capital fled to China to make more capital

Adam Smith's invisible hand.  Globalists believe that trade helps both parties.   Trade with developing countries may help the Western consumer but hurts the Western Laborer.  The cost of production overseas is so low that it's still cheaper when you factor in transportation expense.  But if no transport costs exist as with call centers, IT coding etc. then it is a real bonanza for consumers. 

12 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Adam Smith's invisible hand.  Globalists believe that trade helps both parties.   Trade with developing countries may help the Western consumer but hurts the Western Laborer.  The cost of production overseas is so low that it's still cheaper when you factor in transportation expense.  But if no transport costs exist as with call centers, IT coding etc. then it is a real bonanza for consumers. 

My foggy rememberance of the theory of trade is that when I have something you don't, and you have something I don't, then when we trade we are both better off.

The thing capitalist discovered is that China (and many other places) has something the US and Europe doesn't - labor willing to work for subsistence wages.  This results is lower costs goods in the US, but as we have seen, despite Capitalist making record profits, American workers (with only high school degree or less) make less in real (inflation adjusted) dollars than 30 years ago. 

Anyway, until the American political elite understand that part of their job is increasing the prosperity of working class people, the US will just be another banana republic ruled by a political elite for the political elite, and using ethnic friction and competition to separate, divide and control working class people.  And because the bourgeousie have effectively, through the control of media and education, convinced working class people that the elite are not a class in opposition to their interests, I see little hope for the fortunes of working class americans to improve anytime soon.

Basic ideas that many Europeans take for granted - Universal or near universal health care and free or low cost higher education as just two examples - are things many working class people have been convinced are against their self interest.  

Finally, this election has proven that ethnic consciousness has trumped any sense of common cause between working class people.  The Black Lives Matter movement in the US was a true Rorschach test. The truth is all working class people are killed by police in the USA at a rate 10 times or more than in Europe and Asia, but because only the African American community was addressing the issue, the abuses of police against ALL communities is discounted and the debate has devolved into an us versus them argument. 

Anyway, we will have a new President in January, however, this monger is not hopeful that any meaningful change will be in place for most working class americans. For me personally, I will benefit from a change in tone in the white house which is a benefit for a middle class guy, but the truth is unless a miracle happens and congress passes a green new deal that puts millions of working class americans to work converting the entire economy to solar and wind, and requiring the manufacture of all the factors in that conversion by US labor, I don't see any hope for our working class.  

This may sound like a strange conclusion to this discussion , but we do need a trade war with China, but you can't win a trade war if you your  not trying to create industry in your own country to supply the things you received from your trading partner. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-case-for-chinese-reparations

The article in the spectator magazine really sums up how I feel . It's less than a minutes read yet really puts it all out there in a succinct manner.  :drinks:

So I have a different suggestion. Countries of the world, unite. The CCP destroyed the world’s economies in 2020. And we would like reparations. I am open to suggestions on how we do this: sanctions, gunboats — nothing should be off the table. China gave us 2020. We need to make them pay for it. "Written by Douglas Murray".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BigTel said:

really sums up how I feel

50 minutes ago, stoolpusher said:

Every other country should not let Chinese into that country and STOP buying shit from China and STOP selling natural resources to China and finally STOP letting China buy land particularly in Australia. 

Agreed. There has to be consequences, hopefully legal too.

I have completely stopped buying China made shit. If you really make an effort it can be done, you don't have to consume their shit products.

• Like 2