COVID-19 in Thailand 2020: "too good to be true" ? & "the worse is yet to come?"

Rom

Gentlemen,

6 months into the pandemic and Thailand has only recorded 58 deaths to COVID-19.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/thailand/

France and the UK that each have approximately the same population (60 mill+)  as Thailand have recorded, respectively, 30,000 and 45,000.    That's 500 French victims for every Thai.  And almost 800 Brits per Thai.

Likely the Thai fatalities are grossly underestimated.   But even if they were 100 times higher, Thailand would still be much better off than EACH AND EVERY COUNTRY in Europe or the Americas.  So let's accept COVID infection rates in Thailand are indeed much lower.

Which brings me to the main point of this reflection:

What do you think is going to happen if/when Thailand opens its borders and businesses like it used to?

The Thai population having been spared mass exposure to it, COVID-19 would FINALLY spread in Thailand like it did in Europe and America.    Which is exactly what is happening here in the US where some states (AZ, FL, SC, TX) reopened for business and COVID infections (and deaths!) skyrocketed.

We were all hoping COVID-19 would fade away in the summer (like the flu) but it did not.

Which means that by "flattening curve" all that was accomplished was DELAYING people from getting it...  but in the same manner that everyone sooner or later catches a flu, we will all catch COVID if it sticks around indefinitely as it appears to.

The vast majority of the Thai population are thus sitting ducks for the corona virus.

What are the implications for us mongers ?

That it may take even much longer than we feared for us to be allowed back in Thailand.

Mongering like we used to, say 10 partners in 1 week, will be a sure way to catch and spread COVID like wildfire...

(Honestly, I would not even want to risk it.)

Those expats bragging about how many desperate-for-business Thais they've been fucking on the cheap are very lucky to have been there while infection rates are so low.

But what would happen if mongers are allowed back from all corners of the world?  P4P will be a super vector of transmission to the Thai sex partners and subsequently to the rest of the Thai population.

Public healthwise, the Thais just cannot allow us mongers back until COVID has disappeared from the face of the Earth, which may take another 6 months, 1 year or more ???

To me this stands to reason.  Someone please show me I'm wrong.

R

• Like 3

Looking ahead . 

How long before the next super virus hits us ? .It will happen as history has shown us , it seems we just create a vaccine or become immune and the next one hits harder and harder each time it will probably never end .

Sorry for the doom and gloom but it's FACT. 

• Like 1

I could be wrong, there is always that possibility. However, I remain fairly certain Covid is a fucking hoax.

I could not possibly be any less concerned about THE VIRUS. What does have me very nervous is all the bullshit lockdowns, social distancing, and mask fuckery. I go into places and I see those plexiglass barriers that do FUCK ALL to stop any virus. This is now looking to me like deliberately engineered mass panic and religious hysteria. 
Well, there’s your dose of tinfoil for today.

https://off-guardian.org/2020/07/10/what-is-the-real-purpose-of-the-lockdowns/

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, strocube said:

I could not possibly be any less concerned about THE VIRUS. What does have me very nervous is all the bullshit lockdowns, social distancing, and mask fuckery. I go into places and I see those plexiglass barriers that do FUCK ALL to stop any virus

totally agree with that comment strocube. dunno about hoax and all that but without doubt politicians have now discovered ways to control populations... they'll be wetting their beds with excitement. And the population is going on the ride...brainwashed.

Look at the recent comments on here about crowds of people going to bars in London when they recently reopened... people moaning that they have not left their room for 3 months and others are out and about having a good time... so who was the fool then?

there is only one way for this virus to die...  just like with Sars etc....let it rage, do what it will and it will die naturally. Okay, people will die but culling is what these virus things are meant to do. Sorry if that sounds cold-hearted... but it's true.

Starving people, putting people out of work, etc etc is not the way to go. Let nature take it's course. Yes i know that peoples mums and dads are at high risk... so am i.

But i'm not going to shit the bed worrying about it. all is natural, people die and new people are born. The way of the world...shouldn't be messed with.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, blind boy grunt said:

totally agree with that comment strocube. dunno about hoax and all that but without doubt politicians have now discovered ways to control populations... they'll be wetting their beds with excitement. And the population is going on the ride...brainwashed.

Look at the recent comments on here about crowds of people going to bars in London when they recently reopened... people moaning that they have not left their room for 3 months and others are out and about having a good time... so who was the fool then?

there is only one way for this virus to die...  just like with Sars etc....let it rage, do what it will and it will die naturally. Okay, people will die but culling is what these virus things are meant to do. Sorry if that sounds cold-hearted... but it's true.

Starving people, putting people out of work, etc etc is not the way to go. Let nature take it's course. Yes i know that peoples mums and dads are at high risk... so am i.

But i'm not going to shit the bed worrying about it. all is natural, people die and new people are born. The way of the world...shouldn't be messed with.

I agree, man.

When I said hoax, that does not mean I do not think there is a virus. I think there is, just like there is one every year. By hoax I meant, as you suggest, that this looks to my eyes, like it is being played for all it’s worth to further various nefarious elite agendas. 
I think Bill Gates is a monster dead set on total world domination. Yes, like a comic book villain. I also think Fauci is a Big Pharma stooge.

I will not be lining up for any fucking Gates vaccine, or any vaccine, for that matter. I’ve had enough of those already, do not need anymore. 

• Like 1

better as you said than SLOWLY SLOWLY spreading over a LONG PERIOD of time.  I think someone is gleefully calculating the money to be made by letting it be slowed down enough for Trillion dollar vaccines and treatments to be developed. In FACT what should be done is build more pandemic hospitals, medical storage centers and retrofit of reBUILD pandemic resistant food production facilities. We're gonna be SOL if the meat butchering, processing and packing plants go down. Probably you could robotize Pepsi production, which brings to mind the next threat to the masses.  As has been detailed by more than one fine mind, robotization will put MILLIONS out of work faster than the offshore production did. Hmmmm, a pandemic would be a great excuse to robotize. BINGO. Who's goin to work in this environment, but machines.

there is no money in being prepared.  The REAL MONEY is in keeping things teetering on the brink. A prolonged, managed mess...

7 hours ago, Rom said:

Someone please show me I'm wrong.

I think you are right. My London borough with a population of around 338,500 has 1,745 recorded covid cases and 484 deaths. My next door neighbour has had Covid, quite badly but not bad enough to be hospitalised. She is young though. 

Front line health care professionals are fearing, and preparing for a second wave in the autumn or winter. 

I think the Thai authorities will be under economic pressure to lift restrictions on tourism. But unless a vaccine is developed (which is a real possibility before the end of the year) it would lead to a surge in infections and deaths in Thailand.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rom said:

What do you think is going to happen if/when Thailand opens its borders and businesses like it used to?

If Thailand opens its borders then Covid-19 will spread throughout the country.

Seems to me the choice is between:

1) Social distancing, mask wearing, curfews, closures, and alcohol bans

or

2) Sacrifice the short term tourist industry.  Keep the border closed to most people.  Exceptions would include diplomats, business people, those with Thai wives and kids, and those with long term visas.  Require a quarantine for most arrivals.  If this scenario evolves then I'll have to look into a civil partnership and see if that makes sense.  No need to build a wall. If a limited number of people swim across the Mehkong probably no big deal.  

Will Door Number 2 wreak havoc upon the economy?  Yes.   This one segment of the economy is so important that Thailand will plunge into a severe recession if the country is not already in one.  But even if the borders do open without quarantine in 2021, I estimate that tourism will be down at least 50% from 2019. Some won't want to travel if dangerous.  Others will be out of money or financially cautious if there is a worldwide depression equalling the 1930's.     

• Like 3

10 hours ago, strocube said:

I agree, man.

When I said hoax, that does not mean I do not think there is a virus. I think there is, just like there is one every year. By hoax I meant, as you suggest, that this looks to my eyes, like it is being played for all it’s worth to further various nefarious elite agendas. 
I think Bill Gates is a monster dead set on total world domination. Yes, like a comic book villain. I also think Fauci is a Big Pharma stooge.

I will not be lining up for any fucking Gates vaccine, or any vaccine, for that matter. I’ve had enough of those already, do not need anymore. 

That tin foil hat must get heavy after a while? :hi:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2020 at 7:20 AM, ozzie said:

That tin foil hat must get heavy after a while? :hi:

Not really. I’ve gotten used to it. I embraced the tinfoil years ago. That is, I do my own thinking without worrying too much about what anyone else thinks. This means that between my ears, I am sovereign, as much as my consciousness will allow at any given moment. I am also willing to be wrong and change my perspective when new shit comes to light. Also, I am not really interested in “waking” anyone up. Though, I am not shy about offering counter narratives, usually with sources attached, when the situation allows. 
This way, the tinfoil hat is not a problem, at least it hasn’t been so far. 
“The cost of sanity in this society, is a certain level of alienation.” - Terence McKenna

• Like 3

My opinion on the masks, and this is an opinion not a scientific fact, is that the push by governments for us to wear is them is economic based as much as science/medical. They perhaps believe that we will have an enormous sense of safety and protection from the virus while wearing a mask, and therefore be more likely to go out and about to spend some money again, boosting the flailing economy. Just a thought.

2 hours ago, ciobha said:

My opinion on the masks, and this is an opinion not a scientific fact, is that the push by governments for us to wear is them is economic based as much as science/medical. They perhaps believe that we will have an enormous sense of safety and protection from the virus while wearing a mask, and therefore be more likely to go out and about to spend some money again, boosting the flailing economy. Just a thought.

That may be a small part of it. But, to me, it is much more sinister. I think it is about control and compliance. I also think, and I hope to god I am wrong, that this shit just the first round to soften us up for far more worse shit THEY plan on rolling out soon. What that might be is anyone’s guess. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, strocube said:

That may be a small part of it. But, to me, it is much more sinister. I think it is about control and compliance. I also think, and I hope to god I am wrong, that this shit just the first round to soften us up for far more worse shit THEY plan on rolling out soon. What that might be is anyone’s guess. 

I certainly hope you are wrong buddy, but I wouldn't rule it out. I think we are at a phase now where people who are thinking along the lines of Governmental totalitarian authority over the population, aren't hoping to be proved right, but actually hoping they are wrong, for all our sakes!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, strocube said:

Life must be hard believing all this conspiracy crap. Wouldn't it be easier to just kill yourself?!!! It would be easier on us.

• Haha 1

I'm sick and tired of the debate to wear mask or no mask. We've proven it had no effect. 99% of the people here never wore masks, only a few asians. Our deaths are almost down to zero with very few new  daily cases reported. I feel sorry for americans  where this has got so politicised and ugly, and my friends living in Thailand although I suspect they don't obey to it, especially not in bars or restaurants. Or do you?

I bet you no one do this : https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/07/07/masks-are-effective-only-if-you-wear-them-properly-heres-the-right-and-wrong-way/ , If you don't, then stop wearing it as it may have a negative effect.

I get the respect you need to show in Thailand by wearing it in public, but I doubt masks are being worn and social distancing practised in the bars reported open in Pattaya.

Wash your hands, stay away from crowds, avoid new contacts.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, seven said:

I'm sick and tired of the debate to wear mask or no mask. We've proven it had no effect. 99% of the people here never wore masks, only a few asians. Our deaths are almost down to zero with very few new  daily cases reported. I feel sorry for americans  where this has got so politicised and ugly, and my friends living in Thailand although I suspect they don't obey to it, especially not in bars or restaurants. Or do you?

I bet you no one do this : https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/07/07/masks-are-effective-only-if-you-wear-them-properly-heres-the-right-and-wrong-way/ , If you don't, then stop wearing it as it may have a negative effect.

I get the respect you need to show in Thailand by wearing it in public, but I doubt masks are being worn and social distancing practised in the bars reported open in Pattaya.

Wash your hands, stay away from crowds, avoid new contacts.

I think you are correct, seven. Masks are bullshit. If they are bullshit, we have to asks ourselves, why are they being mandated? Surely, it is for our own good, right? 

31 minutes ago, xyzzy said:

Life must be hard believing all this conspiracy crap. Wouldn't it be easier to just kill yourself?!!! It would be easier on us.

Did I strike a nerve? I post opinions which you are free to ignore if you don’t like them. But here you are telling me to kill my self. Jesus, dude, take a look at yourself. 
You have not even offered any kind of rebuttal, just a personal attack. What happened to reasoned discourse? 
It must be hard swallowing all mainstream narratives without so much as a second thought. How’s that working out for you? 

25 minutes ago, seven said:

living in Thailand although I suspect they don't obey to it, especially not in bars or restaurants. Or do you?

NO!... seems to be mainly on baht buses nowadays. Really what is the point? When there is officially no Covid here. I note that 7-11 are still doing the ray-gun to the forehead temperature thing .WHY?

Family Mart have mostly stopped.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, strocube said:

I think you are correct, seven. Masks are bullshit. If they are bullshit, we have to asks ourselves, why are they being mandated? Surely, it is for our own good, right? 

Its getting to a point when I watch these clips where supposedly normal  people freak out over some one not wearing a mask, websites shout KAREN at every occasion a person not obey to their scientifically unproven beliefs, where I sympathise  with the ones not wearing the stupid masks. Its like they're imposing their fucking religion on people.

Look at this: 

• Upvote 1