Supremes Rule Workers Can’t Be Fired For Being Transgender

Pdoggg

The Supreme Court ruled on Monday that workers cannot be fired for being transgender in a blockbuster win for the Transgender community. 

The 6-3 holding, authored by Justice Neil Gorsuch, a conservative appointed by Trump, is a landmark development in the history of transgender rights in the United States.

While workers in about half the country were protected by local laws that prohibit discrimination based on gender identity, there was no federal law that explicitly barred transgender workers from being fired on that basis. 

• Like 4

What I found unsurprising in Pdoggs first line re this subject was that he said "the Supreme Court ruled etc". There are many Supreme Courts in the world but with Trump and his henchmen the only one we think about automatically is the US one. Sad really!.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 1:11 AM, Kylemore said:

Was this unexpected with a majority conservative court? 

Good question.

I think before the oral arguments last October one would bet that it would have been 5-4 overturning the Circuit Court instead of 6-3  upholding the decision.

But the line of questioning by Justice Gorsuch led court watchers to speculate that he would side with the liberal judges.    Getting Chief Justice Roberts onboard is icing on the cake.

It's possible that if Gorsuch was not for overturning that Roberts wouldn't have been either.  I think Roberts prefers to side with the majority if he can find a way to do so.   If the Chief is in the majority then he can assign whoever he wants to write the opinion.  But if it had been 5-4 without Roberts then Justice Ginsburg, being more senior than Gorsuch, would have decided who would write the opinion which would likely have been more a broad based denouncement of discrimination based on sex rather than the narrow approach taken by Gorsuch.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ashoka said:

And today DACA stands because the DHS didn't follow the APA (Administrative Procedure Act).

DACA? DHS? As an Aussie don't know those even though you were kind enough to explain APA! I like to keep up with world affairs but unfortunately more and more people now use local acronyms and nicknames so makes it hard to keep up. Some newspapers are rife with unexplained acronyms.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, sydneyjohn57 said:

DACA? DHS? As an Aussie don't know those even though you were kind enough to explain APA! I like to keep up with world affairs but unfortunately more and more people now use local acronyms and nicknames so makes it hard to keep up. Some newspapers are rife with unexplained acronyms.

well said SJ. I make a point now of not continuing to read any post that contains acronyms or initials, except for yours  above !

it's just sheer laziness of people to use them. okay FBI, CIA and similar i know... but even things like IMHO...i don't have a clue and don't want to know. I can speak and read English. 

• Like 1

DACA = Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, an immigration policy (enacted by the Obama administration) that allows people brought to the United States illegally as children to defer deportation and live and work legally.

DHS = Department of Homeland Security

APA = Administrative Procedure Act which governs the process by which federal agencies develop and issue regulations.

BBG = Blind Boy Grunt.   :biggrin:

8 hours ago, blind boy grunt said:

but even things like IMHO...i don't have a clue and don't want to know.

I'm telling you anyway.

IMHO = Inside Multiple Homosapien Orifices   :shok:

• Like 1

This question should really be in The Non Google Trivia Quiz but - What do the initials 'CBGB's' - CeeBeeGeeBees' stand for. CBGB' was of course where New York punk kicked off with The Ramones etc. CBGB reflected it's original musical policy. What. ? No peeping and don't all shout at once. Pic is of their cludgie. !

44187703_4f57a5f320.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Quinn said:

This question should really be in The Non Google Trivia Quiz but - What do the initials 'CBGB's' - CeeBeeGeeBees' stand for. CBGB' was of course where New York punk kicked off with The Ramones etc. CBGB reflected it's original musical policy. What. ? No peeping and don't all shout at once. Pic is of their cludgie. !

44187703_4f57a5f320.jpg

Went there many times.. and often wondered how is this smelling of piss restaurant so fucking famous?

But they closed it down a while ago when enough people stopped going and started going to other clubs instead.

country blue grass blues?

and hey, when I read this topic I wondered what an historic old motown girl group had to do with rulilng on TG rights :D

oh...and WTF does the OMFUG palace have to do with Supreme Court rulings on TG right? just askin :P

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

A federal judge on Monday froze the Trump administration's rollback of Obama-era anti-discrimination protections for transgender patients, citing a recent landmark Supreme Court decision awarding workplace discrimination protections to LGBTQ employees.

U.S. District Court Judge Frederic Block halted the new policy one day before it was slated to take effect and admonished the Trump administration for pursuing the change after the Supreme Court ruling.

• Like 1