Is It Irresponsible To Have Sex With Bargirls COVID-19

Pdoggg

On 5/25/2020 at 7:11 PM, Rom said:

@P&G  I am very impressed that you quoted the "killing of the mandarin dilemma" (from Balzac's Le père Goriot), but the decision to kill the mandarin by wishing him dead was not, as you said, "without purpose."   Rather, it was to magically receive the mandarin's immense riches.   That's why it was about a "mandarin", not just any (pennyless) dude in a far off place.  It's about how selfish one can be if there is a guarantee of impunity and expediency, which is what I think you were trying to convey.

I am surprised that you know this novel of the XIXth century since most of those who read it hastened to forget it. But I really mentionned the kind of debate initiated during the XVIIIth century by Diderot . Balzac just mentioned it when Rastignac met Bianchon and asked  him "Have you read Rousseau? […] Do you remember this passage where he asked his reader what he would do if he could get rich by killing an old mandarin in China by his own will, without moving from Paris? ”. Actually, Rousseau never wrote anything on the mandarin murder. However, either the murderer earns a big amount of money or even nothing, this is about the same. 

Anyway, the question is "are you ready to risk to make someone die just for the pleasure of a short time ? ". ANother one is : are you ready to contribute to the prolongation of the epidemic just for a few minutes of pleasure ?

• Like 2

@P&GThis has to be the most erudite threadfuck in the History of Ladyboy Boards,  but we may as well go all in:

I never read the seminal Diderot or Balzac sources you quote.  What I read was the XIXth century Portuguese masterpiece "The Mandarin" by Eca de Queiros who elaborated on Diderot and Balzac's propositions.  Here is the plot summary from the internet:

Teodoro, a poor Portuguese civil servant in Lisbon, receives a visit from the Devil in disguise who offers him the chance of inheriting unlimited riches if he rings a bell placed on a book by his side, which will lead to the death of a rich Mandarin, Ti Chin-fu, in distant China.  This Teodoro duly does, resulting in his inheriting the Mandarin's fortune and starting to spend enormous sums. However, he finds that fabulous wealth brings with it unexpected problems. In time, remorse sends him to China to look for the dead Mandarin’s family. Failing to find them, he returns to Lisbon still haunted by the crime.  His attempts to renounce the inheritance come to nothing. Sensing that he is dying he bequeaths his millions to the Devil, with the observation that “The only bread that tastes good is the bread we earn day by day with our own hands: never kill the Mandarin”.

Apologies to BMs perplexed by our neo-romanticist literary meanderings...

r

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, markm said:

this thread is def getting fucked 5555

We just explore the philosophical interest of the subject as well as its cultural aspects.

21 hours ago, Rom said:

@P&GThis has to be the most erudite threadfuck in the History of Ladyboy Boards,  but we may as well go all in:

I never read the seminal Diderot or Balzac sources you quote.  What I read was the XIXth century Portuguese masterpiece "The Mandarin" by Eca de Queiros who elaborated on Diderot and Balzac's propositions.  Here is the plot summary from the internet:

Teodoro, a poor Portuguese civil servant in Lisbon, receives a visit from the Devil in disguise who offers him the chance of inheriting unlimited riches if he rings a bell placed on a book by his side, which will lead to the death of a rich Mandarin, Ti Chin-fu, in distant China.  This Teodoro duly does, resulting in his inheriting the Mandarin's fortune and starting to spend enormous sums. However, he finds that fabulous wealth brings with it unexpected problems. In time, remorse sends him to China to look for the dead Mandarin’s family. Failing to find them, he returns to Lisbon still haunted by the crime.  His attempts to renounce the inheritance come to nothing. Sensing that he is dying he bequeaths his millions to the Devil, with the observation that “The only bread that tastes good is the bread we earn day by day with our own hands: never kill the Mandarin”.

Apologies to BMs perplexed by our neo-romanticist literary meanderings...

r

I heard about it during a lecture dealing with Le Père Goriot by Honoré de Balzac. I didn't remember having read these few lines said by Rastignac. Actually, I had found the whole story boring and side comments of no interest. But the teacher explained in a few more details the allusion to this crime consisting in killing by a simple act of will and without leaving one's hometown or ever being suspected  an old mandarin living in Beijing and whose death would bring some advantage. It had been presented to me as a debate of 18th century. I've done some research and found allusions to Rousseau and Diderot but Diderot just raised the question of an empirical foundation for morality. It seems that Rousseau didn't write it either as pretends the character of Balzac. (After all, Rastignac can have said BS too since he's not a perfect character).  

The idea was later connected to the idea f the perfect crime by philosophy teachers. Actually, I was surprised to see it mentioned in a few 19th century novels. I am not going to explain all that I have found since yesterday since it's fairly confusing, but the idea started in the 18th century and was  taken up by the authors of the 19th century. The novel of Eça de Queiros is  a new version of the murder of the mandarin. Balzac and De Queiros give the crime a mobile : make money. Originally, the perfect crime has no purpose. It's a free crime in the meaning it's just committed for pleasure. 

I guess the new version has been declined since the end of the 20th century. How many ladyboys and farangs died of HIV because idiots spread it for the pleasure of barebacking ? Why not add a few deaths with the Covid19 ? It's criminal but it won't ever be prosecuted nor suspected. So let's just have fun. 

• Like 2