seven

I feel sorry for the Laos locals, but at least they are getting some work. I dont think the Laos government does a lot for them.

Makes you wonder how much power the Chinese have over the Laos Government that they can build a railway line right throught the country to the capital. Be a great way to transport troops to Vientiane. They could takeover the country in a few days.

It does not look promising for the future does it. Laos, Cambodia, Thailand. The old domino theory again. First by trade, then by force this time.

Africa is also going throught the same process. Pacific Islands as well. Problem is that the heads of these governments being coerced are probably being led by the nose with money. Really dont give a rats about the normal citizen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, strocube said:

Really dont give a rats about the normal citizen.” With very few exceptions, the same can be said about most governments and so called “political leaders”, especially the US. 

I was going to add that but thought it self explanatory!.

The West does it in a sugar coated way. 

• Upvote 1

"Problem is that the heads of these governments being coerced are probably being led by the nose with money. Really dont give a rats about the normal citizen."

Although many will argue with me, but this is why I have the highest respect for the now deceased Fidel Castro and Cuba. For 50 + years the most powerful country in the world (USA)tried to get rid of Castro, and tear down what he claimed he was trying to do for his people. He went with the Soviets to get protection, and when the soviets fell, he liberalized his economy enough to make up for the soviet losses.  Although, we in the united states belittle Cuba for its lack of economic progress, the truth is Cuba is its own country not beholden to any power other than itself.  That is self determination and that is freedom for a people. 

I'm paraphrasing Plutarch's Julius Ceasar, but there is a scene in which Ceasar and his troops have just laid waste a village in Gaul, and his troops were mocking the unsophistication of the village, and Julius Ceasar rebuked them by saying "I would rather be number one in this village, than number 2 in all of Rome".   Cuba is autonomous and beholden to no-one.  I can respect that in this world, and it is why so many of my American countrymen hate Castro and Cuba.

Anyway, with respect to Boten, China is just following the playbook of all wanna be hegemonic world powers. They are "financing" the worldwide Belt and Road Initiative all over the world, to lever their power and prosperity into economic dominance and control in regions ceded by the Russian's and for which the Western former colonial powers have been unwilling to make real investments beyond "extraction" investments.  We are witnessing a fundamental restructuring of the world order.  The caveat of Machiavelli that any prince makes another prince strong to his own ruin is coming true. The Western Capital class has built up the Chinese economy in an attempt to get cheap labor and extract extra profits, and in the process made China the worlds trade/manufacturing leader, and soon the defacto world global power. My country, by electing a clown to the highest office, has just lost the global war for soft influence, and sadly I don't think we have to resources to win a conventional war to retain our central role.  So, as the English empire collapsed after WW1 and WW2, so the US empire is collapsing as we speak.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, RandiUno2 said:

Although many will argue with me

No arguments here.

6 hours ago, RandiUno2 said:

We are witnessing a fundamental restructuring of the world order.  The caveat of Machiavelli that any prince makes another prince strong to his own ruin is coming true. The Western Capital class has built up the Chinese economy in an attempt to get cheap labor and extract extra profits, and in the process made China the worlds trade/manufacturing leader, and soon the defacto world global power.

We have the perfect opportunity to change the game completely, but unfortunately mankind is stupid but worst of all greedy.

I saw the the russians when the iron curtain came down. They couldn't handle it. Now its the chinese.