Free Phone Calls

Pdoggg

All carriers are offering 100 minutes of phone calls to Thais but at this time only AIS is giving it to farang.

The procedure is different for Thais and farang.  For Thais dial *170*your 13 digit ID number #

For farang, send a SMS, just your passport number associated with your number (could possibly be an expired passport) to 170

ais.jpg

1 hour ago, blind boy grunt said:

assuming i'm correct because i never give info when buying sims or suchlike, mine would likely be registered in the missus's name, so obviously a passport i.d would be refused.

never mind.

Then use the missus Thai ID number.    *170*missusID#

12 minutes ago, blind boy grunt said:

personally it's of no interest to me with the 2 calls i make a month!

In my case too it doesn't matter as on my primary phone I have this special super duper plan that for 200 a month, I get unlimited internet at 10 Mbs speed plus unlimited fee calls as long as the call is less than 15 minutes (this extraordinary plan is no longer available).   I can hang up after 14 minutes and call back.  But I just activated the free minutes on my old Cheap Charlie Nokia which I sometimes carry around if I know I won't need my smartphone.  

What worked for me is typing my old 9 digit American passport number as a text message (since I registered that Sim with my old passport).  Then I pressed Send and it prompted me to type in the number that I want the message sent to so I typed in 170.

I got a message that my text was received and they would verify and send me confirmation in 3 hours but 20 minutes later I received the verification.