Bangkok Zoo

annat555

Now I love Zoos and I try to visit the best ones when I can.

Some of the best, in my opinion, are London, Berlin, Munich, Amsterdam, Prague and some of the smaller German/Austrian ones like Karlsruhe, Saltsburg, Colne.

I have visited two zoo’s in Thailand; Bangkok which is very pleasant and well worth half a day, nice open space, interesting animals, though I thought they could do with more room, I gather there are plans to move it to larger and more interesting site.

The other was Phucket, which was poor, the animals kept in bad conditions and if it was in the UK, the RSPCA would have soon been there. It was the only zoo, I have walked out from, to be honest very heartbreaking.

I must try to visit again when and if I ever back to Bangkok.

So here are a few photo from my last trip to Bangkok Zoo, I made it a day by going on in a Tut-Tut to the Royal Palace, a wondrous place to visit if you have not been there.

3 month old elephant

asian bear

elephant not a lot of room

fish

feeding fish

kangeroos

the lake which is the centre part of the zoo

alligators

puma

pygmy hippos

shark pond

tiger

large lizards free to roam around the zoo

3 months old baby 3.jpg

Asian Bear BK Zoo.jpg

Elephant BK Zoo.jpg

Fisg at BKK zoo.jpg

goldfish at BK zoo resized.jpg

Kangaroos at BK Zoo.jpg

Lake at BK Zoo 2.jpg

Lake at BK Zoo.jpg

Nasty Alligator BK Zoo.jpg

Puma Bk Zoo.jpg

Pygmy Hippo BK Zoo.jpg

two hippos at BK Zoo 2.jpg

Shark Pond BK Zoo 2.jpg

Tiger at BK Zoo.jpg

Wild Lizard type thing on rivert BK zoo.jpg

•  
  • Like 4

Went to it on my first trip to Thailand and yes it was a good afternoon wandering about.  One thing that struck me was, when we visit one back home, they usually have a map of the world and the far flung area where the particular animal is from.  In Thailand the map was more or less saying just down the road.  I remember leaving thinking there are some serious animals living in this part of the world, and not to wander off the beaten track like I would at home. 

• Like 1

I think animal care in general is below standard,  most animals I have seen could do with more food for starters 

In my working life I was a Master Farrier for 40 years ,when I see a horse the first thing I look at are its feet and sadly it's one of the things they don't look after . I have helped with the guys looking after the Kings horses in Bangkok showing them how to fix the horses feet and it has worked thankfully. The vets that work with the horses now contact me when there is a problem and other guys in my profession help to .

There doesn't seem to be any where for Thai people to learn about care for animals,  we have all seen dogs that could even benefit with a bath . 

Thanks Annat for the photos. 

Did you get to the crocodile farm in bkk ? , I was thinking later the problems they would have if a flood came through and they all got out .

• Like 3

When I visited Bkk for the first time we were taken on tours. One was to a zoo which had elephants, crocodiles, monkeys etc. I followed the tour for about 10 minutes and then left to go and sit down and wait for their return. Not my cup of tea to watch animals treated like that.

I did see a video or some clip of a Thai woman who threw herself into the crocodile enclosure to commit suicide. Not a nice way to go!.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stoolpusher said:

I think animal care in general is below standard,  most animals I have seen could do with more food for starters 

In my working life I was a Master Farrier for 40 years ,when I see a horse the first thing I look at are its feet and sadly it's one of the things they don't look after . I have helped with the guys looking after the Kings horses in Bangkok showing them how to fix the horses feet and it has worked thankfully. The vets that work with the horses now contact me when there is a problem and other guys in my profession help to .

There doesn't seem to be any where for Thai people to learn about care for animals,  we have all seen dogs that could even benefit with a bath . 

Thanks Annat for the photos. 

Did you get to the crocodile farm in bkk ? , I was thinking later the problems they would have if a flood came through and they all got out .

In 1976 took a klong tour on a barge then on the narrow speed boats up the little canals to Crcok farm and then to snale show - i frightened of snakes and did not go in - spent a lot of the time looking for them in case they were up the trees, then back to the rice barge free booze by the time tour finsihed was legless on vodka and had loads of free fruits some of which I have rarely seem since. Sadly the photo of that honeymoon trip disappeared over the years. I wish i still had them, some great shots of BKK and Patts from that period and while typing I remembered we also went crock farm at Patts. Have some more photos of Thailand to put up in due course from 2010-12

• Like 2