The Future Travel for a World in Lockdown

duke007

20 hours ago, Quietguy said:

What's with the Scouse talk?

i love cilla black.

anyway i'm getting a little worried about you Cowpoke. Finally managed to get some info from you about Peru, with a bit of pushing i must say. But, thinking about it.. what about Belize? Bolivia? Suriname,Aruba etc. Do you have a problem we should know about with South America? and worrabout the Falklands then?

all very suspicious indeed. Do your job properly man!

• 3 weeks later...

The hotel industry in LOS could face a fierce price war in the upcoming months, with hotels chasing the few tourists that'll arrive under the current conditions, writes the Macau News Agency: (via AFP)

"The prolonged shutdown has 'devastated' the hotel sector, Thai Hotels Association president Marisa Sukosol Nunbhakdi said, adding that nearly half of the industry’s employees were left jobless from closures and lay-offs. 

With Bangkok’s remaining hotels chasing so few visitors, the industry is having to adapt to compete, dramatically slashing room rates.

'A fierce price war has been declared between hotels because supply will remain very abundant for a long time compared to demand,' she said.

These challenges are dampening Marisa’s expectations for the re-opening.

'If in the next few months we manage to fill the hotels to 25-30 percent capacity, that will be a success,' Marisa said, but she does not anticipate a return to normal before 2024."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Over month's places with money (groups) have overhauled/renovated properties. This may in the long run mean higher prices than pre Covid as NO ONE IN Thailand seems to think low cost was a factor in their previous success.  I have NO (zero, zip, nada) concern regarding the big money groups.  What I wonder is just how many of the small players will be able to cash in on this, IF they've managed to keep control of their place.  The landscape will be different.  For ME what made LOS SHINE was the little Mom and Pop places that got to be out front on things.  It may be akin to a hunting safari to find such comfy friendly places in this new future.  Every way you turn you'll see the same bullshit, massive claims, high ends features, hyperbole to the max. I for one will go hunting into the "no go" zones. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, soiboy said:

A very good reality check article about how things stand today -

https://www.traveldailymedia.com/thailands-international-tourism-could-take-years-to-recover/

thanks for the reference soiboy.  it informed me of something I did not know and is a major no-no about returning to Thailand:

@snoopdawg you may want to check this out...

"If a tourist has a positive Covid test when they arrive or a negative test but is seated next to someone who had a positive test, they will be quarantined for 14 days at their own cost. This was not announced at the time of border opening. According to local media accounts, this has cost some travellers between Baht 50,000 and, in one example, Baht 350,000."

I tried to confirm this in an official TH website, but this is the best I found in a "FAQ" almost like an afterthought.   But to me, it's a major caveat:

What happens if someone on my flight to Thailand tests positive on arrival? Will I be ‘pinged’ and have to quarantine?
Under the new travel rules, it’s only an issue if a person sitting directly next to you (not in front or behind) tests positive on arrival.  (source https://fanclubthailand.co.uk/quarantine-free-travel-to-thailand-faqs/)

What to do ????

I think I'd rather go back to Europe than stay 14 days in a hotel room or hospital waiting.

• Like 4

Already got a weeks 'jolly' booked in Benidorm for  January and just booked a two week holiday in Turkey for the end of May. 

I was getting 10 Turkish Lira for £1 last October and that was great value but now it's shot past 17, its a no brainer and I shall be exchanging money tomorrow B)

IMG_20211123_153715.jpg

Hopefully will do another 'jolly' at the end of March. 

Bollocks to Thailand until they sort their shit out, no gonna hang around waiting :biggrin:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rom said:

thanks for the reference soiboy.  it informed me of something I did not know and is a major no-no about returning to Thailand:

@snoopdawg you may want to check this out...

"If a tourist has a positive Covid test when they arrive or a negative test but is seated next to someone who had a positive test, they will be quarantined for 14 days at their own cost. This was not announced at the time of border opening. According to local media accounts, this has cost some travellers between Baht 50,000 and, in one example, Baht 350,000."

I tried to confirm this in an official TH website, but this is the best I found in a "FAQ" almost like an afterthought.   But to me, it's a major caveat:

What happens if someone on my flight to Thailand tests positive on arrival? Will I be ‘pinged’ and have to quarantine?
Under the new travel rules, it’s only an issue if a person sitting directly next to you (not in front or behind) tests positive on arrival.  (source https://fanclubthailand.co.uk/quarantine-free-travel-to-thailand-faqs/)

What to do ????

I think I'd rather go back to Europe than stay 14 days in a hotel room or hospital waiting.

https://www.thestar.com.my/aseanplus/aseanplus-news/2021/11/08/over-20000-tourists-enter-thailand-since-nov-1-15-tested-positive

Very few are testing positive though. I rather run the risk of going away then definitely having to stay at home for three weeks with nothing to do.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This lady and her family started their flight to Thailand right after Xmas to celebrate New Year.  She tested negative three times before take off, tested positive at arrival. Off to 'hospital' in Bkk with ambulance. Didn't even get to say goodbye to  her husband and kids.

Apologies for the foreign language in the video. She's says she doesn't feel sorry for herself but was shocked to see the room she is going to spend the next 10 days in. Three poor meals per day , not allowed to leave her room. Alarm goes off if she tries to  open the door.  The 'hospital' is not a real hospital but more like a jail, she says.

This is the kind of risk which stops me from rolling the dice right now.

https://www.expressen.se/tv/nyheter/coronaviruset/svenska-therese-fast-i-karantan-i-thailand-far-oppna-dorren-tre-ganger-om-dagen/

271206096_4745724688840662_5460687498449015566_n.jpg

1641401067.webp

271064949_4745724692173995_3300473789619143457_n.jpg

1 hour ago, seven said:

Three poor meals per day , not allowed to leave her room. Alarm goes off if she tries to  open the door.  The 'hospital' is not a real hospital but more like a jail, she says.

1 hour ago, seven said:

271064949_4745724692173995_3300473789619143457_n.jpg

Maybe she should jump!   

but I think good to have insurance that covers asymptomatic coverage and also a good idea to stay at a Test and Go or AQ that is affiliated with a quality hospital such as Bangkok Pattaya Hospital.

On 11/24/2021 at 8:56 AM, BigTel said:

Looks like entry is going to be slow.

IMG_20211124_063831.jpg

I can tell you Big Tel, it was anything but slow. One of the most efficient things I have witnessed in a long time. Okay, granted the airport was quiet with very few arrivals, but I was off the plane, down the concourse, through the covid pass checks (my arse was parked on one of those blue seats for less than 10 seconds), and through immigration in a total of 17 minutes, which I timed intentionally. Longest wait I had was for my suitcase, ffs. They certainly have it very well organised I must say. All in, wheels of the plane hit the tarmac at 12.05 and I was at the hotel (only a few minutes from the airport, overlooking the runway), PCR test done and checking in to my room at 1pm.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/02/23/details-from-todays-thailand-covid-19-center-meeting-including-test-and-go-changes/

the CCSA has initially approved the replacement of a second on-arrival RT-PCR test with a self ATK (rapid) test on the fifth day of a visitor’s arrival, starting March 1st. A hotel stay was not mandatory while doing the self-test and the results could be submitted electronically by a tourist on their own. A test before coming to Thailand was still required.

---

The nationwide mask mandate, including outdoors and even alone on a motorbike, remains.

:( Why?

• Like 1

because they're REALLY slow to get the picture? Hell, a lot of Thai's will continue to wear them.  Many are fearful still.  You always would see the occasional mask even years ago. Some for the particulates in the air I suppose. I've seen on some vids in non tourist areas or smaller cities even the Thai's don't always mask up.  More likely to at a market but as we all know Covid cannot enter restaurant so ok for no mask there :)

• Like 1