The Future Travel for a World in Lockdown

duke007

8 hours ago, seven said:

Excellent news. Hopefully the quarantine will be axed and affordable air fares available.

Thailand will start issuing special visas to foreign tourists starting October, easing a more than five-month-old ban on visitors to revive the nation’s ailing tourism-reliant economy.

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-Ocha’s cabinet approved a proposal to issue visas to tourists planning to stay between 90 and 280 days in Thailand, according to government spokeswoman Traisuree Taisaranakul. The tourists will undergo a mandatory 14-day state quarantine on arrival at partner hotels or hospitals and follow health and safety regulations, she said.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/thailand-moves-step-closer-welcoming-105436762.html

How many people can afford to be away for 90 to 280 days - leave your home, leave your pets, leave your work, leave your life.

Afford to pay for flights, 14 days in quarentine from 75000 to 200000 bhts (with nothing to do but sit in room, eat in room, no guests)

Have to be able to prove hotel booked and paid or condo hired or proof of ownership property.

plus pay what the Thai Embassy will charge, faff around with them for weeks getting visa. Then pass Covid test 72 before leaving and when landing

I am semi retired and approaching 70 but cannot afford to leave for 90 days plus all the extra charges - my pussy cat would never forgive me for being away so long and at £10 a night in the cattery another £900.

Only a few with money and the life style to match will take it up and a few who will change their life, because they are so desperate to have sex with ladyboys that everything will be put on one side just to satisfy that desire.

So, I have not got the time to be away, not got the money, not that horny for a ladyboy and cannot face 14 stuck in a hotel room.

Will wait for the vaccine and more sensible options

• Like 3

Yes @Annat you are right. This proposal unfortunately won't do much for the bars, lb or gg. Most potential customers only go for the 30 day (or less) entry visa trip.

The only people who might go for 90 days or more are the better off retired people (mainly couples) who go for 3 months over the winter. They aren't in the main there for bar scene. They might be more prepared to spend a couple of weeks quarantined in an upmarket hotel.

But it is a start. The Thai tourist trade association is pushing for an opening up to shorter term tourists.

Hopefully the Thai Government will realise that 1,200 long term tourists a month is not going to make much difference to the tourist revenue and will go on to allow shorter term tourists. I can only hope that happens before the end of the year.

• Like 1

I typically stay for 3 or 4 months, spending on average $500 a month more or less. (less if most of the stay is in Nowhereville, Issan with gf).  Their quarantine would amount to about 3 months stay.  Based on just the hotel quarantine, which I've see costing 100 PLUS each day for house arrest. Now...those hotels are EMPTY no? so why charge so high? let em offer rooms much cheaper, say 1000 baht. And not one with a view of an airshaft. I'd do alright with a view of the city. Let the hotels take a loss (for taxes AND) for the betterment of the nations economy.  Or...what the hell, let em stay empty.

They should also have plenty of ladyboys and gg's on staff.  And some massage...oh and a GREAT cable feed. 

As I almost ALWAYS get a rollicking case of what I call Bangkok lung (probably bronchitis) and am coughing non stop the first couple weeks I'd never get let out.  It'd just scare the hell outta the populace.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, JustSumGai said:

I typically stay for 3 or 4 months

Same here, and this new deal wouldn't be too bad for me if it wasn't for the stupid quarantine. I have decided I will not play along with this BS. Its not so much about the money as the nerve to impose this arbitrary charade we know is useless regarding transmission of Covid-19. The more I think about it, they can shove it where the sun don't shine.

If they want our money they should wise the fuck up and welcome us with that famous smile, fake or not.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, seven said:

I have decided I will not play along with this BS. Its not so much about the money as the nerve to impose this arbitrary charade we know is useless regarding transmission of Covid-19. The more I think about it, they can shove it where the sun don't shine.

If they want our money they should wise the fuck up and welcome us with that famous smile, fake or not.

Seven coindidentilly I too had pretty much gone through the process of what you have expressed here in your quote as I have no intention of jumping through hoops for getting to Pattaya. 

Look at the latest added to those said hoops below, from the way I read it they expect us to of quarantined in our country first before then travelling to Thailand and enter a further quarantine there, also when reading the article you will see that they also expect us to have "a record of not visiting crowded places prior to their departure." 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/easy/1988231/tourists-must-isolate-in-home-countries

Dr Chakrarat Pittayawonganon, director of the Bureau of Mental Health Strategy under the Department of Disease Control, (DDC) said yesterday that foreign tourists must present proof of a negative Covid-19 test no more than 72 hours prior to travel.

They must also have quarantined in their country of origin and have health insurance for international travel and a specified minimum amount of money in their bank account as well as a record of not visiting crowded places prior to their departure.

During their domestic quarantine, visitors must have been tested twice for Covid-19 at the beginning and end of the process.

If both tests are negative for the virus, they will be allowed to travel to Thailand.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BigTel said:

Seven coindidentilly I too had pretty much gone through the process of what you have expressed here in your quote as I have no intention of jumping through hoops for getting to Pattaya. 

Look at the latest added to those said hoops below, from the way I read it they expect us to of quarantined in our country first before then travelling to Thailand and enter a further quarantine there, also when reading the article you will see that they also expect us to have "a record of not visiting crowded places prior to their departure." 

I agree,Tel. Its just too much trouble. A holiday in Los should be fun and easy, this simply isn't. Last few years I have already felt how tiresome long distance travelling has become. This is a nightmare even thinking about it.

We're not alone thinking this. So many, especially families, I've talked to who usually travel to Thailand over the holidays already booked  warmer european  destinations. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seven said:

A holiday in Los should be fun and easy, this simply isn't. Last few years I have already felt how tiresome long distance travelling has become. This is a nightmare even thinking about it.

You and me both,  I Love my trips but getting there as you rightly say is just so tiring it's stressful and not the part that I look forward to at all. I can already feel here in my Home a simple calm and once I adjusted to the fact I would not be able to go to Thailand this year it is then something of a release valve on the pressure I used to feel on the build up to the trip, we ain't getting any younger as they say  :biggrin:  I'll say one thing though if this is the end of my trips well " It's sure been a blast"  no regrets and loved every moment of them whatever that entailed.   :drinks:  cheers my friend.

• Like 4

don't worry guys, it has just been officially announced by T.A.T that 14 days quarantine will be 'full of fun and interesting'!

i kid you not. you will be able to have... wait for it... cookery lessons, Yoga and lot's of other fun things.

i guess that in their tiny minds, jumping off a balcony after getting cabin fever will be 'interesting.'

• Like 2

On 9/20/2020 at 6:18 PM, BigTel said:

I can already feel here in my Home a simple calm and once I adjusted to the fact I would not be able to go to Thailand this year it is then something of a release valve on the pressure I used to feel on the build up to the trip, we ain't getting any younger as they say  :biggrin:

I never thought I'd feel like this, you put words on it very appropriately. Nicely put, Tel.

On 9/20/2020 at 6:18 PM, BigTel said:

:drinks:  cheers my friend.

:drinks:, let's hope we can meet again in Los some day, young man. We have to believe!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, seven said:

I never thought I'd feel like this, you put words on it very appropriately. Nicely put, Tel.

On 9/20/2020 at 5:18 PM, BigTel said:

:drinks:  cheers my friend.

:drinks:, let's hope we can meet again in Los some day, young man. We have to believe!

I'll drink to that :drinks:  .

• Like 1

Irony of the above post Dave, is that is exactly what will happen FFS. These so called scientific experts and their groundbreaking ideas have no fookin clue whatsoever how normal people think or live their lives.

Kind of puts me in mind of a guy I play golf with from time to time. Forensic microbioligist or something along those lines, academically probably the smartest person I know. But in general daily life he is as fucking daft as a brush, no clue whatsoever!!!!<_<

The mind boggles.

• Like 3

On 9/11/2020 at 3:48 PM, Jimmy Cargopants said:

I have no wish to wade into the Covid debate, but I'm curious - When do guys expect to travel to Thailand again? Earliest possible dates..

I'm picking Sept-October next year (I'd love to say July but I think that's too optimistic). What's yours?

Well, I'm carrying a USA Passport. I have a feeling relatives of Uncle Sam will not be welcome anywhere until we can prove we have been vacinated. So, I plan on discovering the joys of our National Parks and Beaches.  Might have to return to St. John USVI which still has the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen.

3df2bc88-7541-42c0-9d9d-4178144487d3-banner.jpg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, RandiUno2 said:

Might have to return to St. John USVI which still has the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen.

St. John is paradise.   Water crystal clear water.  I guess they don't dump wastewater into the bay.   I stayed at Maho Bay.  Despite it's beauty never retuned as not too many months later I discovered Thailand and mongering won out over natural beauty. 

Jimmy C said:

Looks stunning Randi .. St John USVI is where?

It's a little east of Puerto Rico. You fly into St Thomas and take a ferry to St John.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2020 at 9:41 AM, Pdoggg said:

the first two special charter flights bringing in tourists will be from China.

Thai authorities have delayed the entry of the first group of 300 Chinese tourists for two days initially though it has not been confirmed when they can enter Phuket.

And no refunds for hotel bookings and other money spent will be given. Buyer beware.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2020/10/07/no-refunds-govt-delays-special-tourist-visas-2-days-before-launch/

• Like 1

Listening to Tim Newton on the Thaiger channel from yesterday and today He said the Governor of Phuket first hear about the imminent arrivals from the news then on todays broadcast it was stated that the new arrivals won't be allowed in until after the vegetarian festival ends on the 20th. 

• Like 1

is this a test run of the "only let SUCKERS who are desperate to see our perfect nation and ready to spend GOBS of money" idea?

I've looked at Puerto Rico but apparently they already do that, ridiculously expensive accommodations and food considering what it is.  And Laos, about the same, but they seem to be holding firm.  I could stay in Bangkok for less than the costs there.  I shall have to give Myanmar a shot if travel ever becomes normal again.

For what its worth; 

https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus-sweden-new-cases-rise-restrictions-extended-1536718

"Coronavirus restrictions in Sweden, which never issued a nationwide lockdown but implemented safety measures to mitigate the spread of infection, are expected to be in place for at least another year.

The director general of Sweden's public health agency, Johan Carlson, noted: "We can expect that measures against the spread of corona will remain for some time, we're talking about at least another year," in an interview Sunday with Sweden's Sveriges Television (SVT).

"The measures that are being taken in Europe are not sustainable, we're trying to find a level that is steady and that keeps the spread down. We can't get rid of it, but we can keep it down at a reasonable level," Carlson said."

• Like 1