The Future Travel for a World in Lockdown

duke007

12 hours ago, duke007 said:

Good news is that they have given me a full refund voucher for a later date so I just used it to book Turkey (Gumbet) leaving next Thursday instead. :good:

Not only will I get an extra 3 night holiday it works out at £100 cheaper which Jet2 will refund to my bank, life ain't too bad :drinks:

Wicked :party:

Way to go Dukey!    :drinks:

Last time we went we got told not to go to the windmills as it was where the prostitutes hung out!

• Like 1

The wearing of masks became a mandatory requirement in N.Ireland on Monday in shops etc. I was in my local Tesco for the first time today since it became mandatory, and found only about 75% of the customers wearing masks, and almost none of the staff. Asked the girl at the tobacco till (who I know quite well, and by fook she is hot) what their policy was. She said that the area manager had basically told the local authorities that they would not subject their staff to policing the customers, based on feedback of violent outbursts from Tesco outlets in England and Scotland. They recommend customers wear masks, but will not enforce it, and most certainly will not turn away business because someone is not wearing one. Point they made was "If the authorities want to initiate a public order act, then they can provide the door staff to enforce it, not us"

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ciobha said:

The wearing of masks became a mandatory requirement in N.Ireland on Monday in shops etc. I was in my local Tesco for the first time today since it became mandatory, and found only about 75% of the customers wearing masks, and almost none of the staff. Asked the girl at the tobacco till (who I know quite well, and by fook she is hot) what their policy was. She said that the area manager had basically told the local authorities that they would not subject their staff to policing the customers, based on feedback of violent outbursts from Tesco outlets in England and Scotland. They recommend customers wear masks, but will not enforce it, and most certainly will not turn away business because someone is not wearing one. Point they made was "If the authorities want to initiate a public order act, then they can provide the door staff to enforce it, not us"

great! common sense is starting to appear.

but besides that.... A hot girl who works the Tobacco till!!! what could be more perfect than that? If she supports Liverpool as well...i'll sponsor her...

• Like 2

On 8/15/2020 at 3:55 AM, seven said:

Haha, yeah don't you dare come here. We're dropping like flies still, and.... we don't wear masks! :biggrin:

oh dear Seven...you are not wearing a mask!

are you still alive? have you turned into a zombie yet? half a zombie? are the streets of sweden full of people walking very strangely?

QG quick !!! we need a graph comparison of Zombie incidences in Sweden and England! 

21 hours ago, blind boy grunt said:

great! common sense is starting to appear.

but besides that.... A hot girl who works the Tobacco till!!! what could be more perfect than that? If she supports Liverpool as well...i'll sponsor her...

She is actually a Liverpool fan BBG, that's how we became so friendly. One of the nicest girls you'll ever meet as well as being hot. Late 30's/early 40's in age, perfect in every way. Boyfriend is about 6 foot 6" and built like a lighthouse :blink:

I went out and about all day today to various places without a mask and I am still alive. Do you think it is a miracle???

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, blind boy grunt said:

are the streets of sweden full of people walking very strangely?

They sure are, but because its damn hot here in old Europe. A photo from today. This should get most lockdowners cringe, but to be honest this type of crowd isn't very good.

Honestly, its like covid-19 never happened here except they are killing the live entertainment industry.  We can fly, cruises , packed shops and restaurants but no concerts or live venues are allowed with more than 50 people. I have a few musician friends and they are desperate.

19 minutes ago, ciobha said:

without a mask and I am still alive. Do you think it is a miracle???

Yes.:biggrin:

50609011-9c22-461f-ae2c-8ae1398f3007.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, Pdoggg said:

Would that mean you can't go?   Or can't get back home?  Or mandatory quarantine back home? 

Depends on what Boris comes up with in the next few days PD :biggrin:

I may go and then the quarantine order comes while I am away, something like what happened to the Brits who were in France a few days ago... what will be will be at the end of the day. :crazy:

31 minutes ago, Pdoggg said:

Would that mean you can't go?   Or can't get back home?  Or mandatory quarantine back home? 

If you go to a country after it has been added to quarantine list your travel insurance may be invalid.

If you are already there when it is added you will probably only be given a few hours to return, and return fares are probably going to shoot up.

If you arrive back in UK after quarantine starts you have to self isolate at home for 14 days.

Suspect the LOS will remain closed to tourists for quite awhile.  St John, one of the US Virgin Islands has incredibly clear warm water.  Great place for a swim!

Some of the world’s most popular islands experienced a spike in Covid-19 cases after reopening to tourists this summer.

Now, governments are adding restrictions that range from outright tourist bans to increased testing and quarantine requirements, while other islands are indefinitely postponing plans to reopen.  

U.S. Virgin Islands bans tourists for one month

As of Aug. 19, hotels, villas, Airbnbs, charter vessels and “similar businesses” in the U.S. Virgin Islands cannot accept new guests or make reservations from leisure travelers for a period of 30 days.

For those currently there, the island atmosphere is about to change. All non-essential businesses, including bars and nightclubs, have been ordered to close, and restaurants cannot offer dine-in services. Weekend beach access has been restricted.

New rules follow the U.S. Virgin Islands return to "stay at home" status, the country's fourth (out of five) most restrictive reopening phase.

New rules follow the U.S. Virgin Islands return to “stay at home” status, the country’s fourth (out of five) most restrictive reopening phase.
M Swiet Productions | Moment | Getty Images

“When we announced our Covid-19 alert system in May, I indicated at that time that we would retreat back to a more cautious state of alert if conditions warranted,” said Governor Albert Bryan Jr. during a press conference on Aug. 13. “Unfortunately, we have arrived at that point this week.”

Overall numbers remain low, but Covid-19 infections in the U.S. Virgin islands, which includes Saint Thomas, Saint John and Saint Croix, have doubled since last month.

Total cases: 760

Bahamas welcomed, then banned, then re-welcomed travelers

The Bahamas had been open to tourists less than three weeks when 49 new cases of Covid-19 prompted Prime Minister Hubert Minnis to announce that only travelers from Canada, the U.K. and the EU could enter. The decision mostly affected Americans, who had made up more than 78% of the islands’ stopover visitors as of 2016.

The restriction lasted mere days, however, as the country announced on July 24 it was reversing its decision in favor of updated requirements and a mandatory 14-day quarantine for all visitors. The government also imposed a weekend lockdown from July 22 to 24. At that time, the Bahamas had 274 Covid-19 cases. 

Total cases: 1,329

Cayman Islands extends its border closure

On August 7, the Cayman Islands announced its borders will stay closed until at least Oct. 1. The decision was based on the rate of infection in other countries — particularly the United States — according to a press statement from the country.

Total cases: 203

Visitors, who travel to the Cayman Islands for the beaches and scuba sites, won't be able to go this summer.

Visitors, who travel to the Cayman Islands for the beaches and scuba sites, won’t be able to go this summer.
EXTREME-PHOTOGRAPHER | E+ | Getty Images

Other Caribbean countries:

Antigua, Bermuda and St. Lucia reopened this summer and have kept new infections relatively low. Jamaica is stable, though an upward trend in new cases is emerging. 

Others have not been so lucky. Puerto Rico, Aruba and Turks and Caicos experienced a rapid increase in new infections in August, resulting in the latter two being removed from the U.K.’s travel corridors list.

Bali’s reopening is iffy

Southeast Asia (except Cambodia) is closed to international travelers, so the region has kept close tabs on Indonesia’s plans to reopen Bali to foreign tourists on September 11.

Those plans now appear tentative at best. Last week, Indonesian Minister Erick Thohir, who oversees the country’s coronavirus task force, said that due to concerns over new outbreaks, the reopening schedule is under review.

The popular town of Ubud (shown here) and the rest of Bali opened to domestic tourists on July 31.

The popular town of Ubud (shown here) and the rest of Bali opened to domestic tourists on July 31.
Francisco Goncalves | Moment | Getty Images

Bali opened to domestic travelers on July 31. At that time, the island had around 3,300 total cases. As of August 15, another 724 cases have been confirmed.

After the Philippines, Indonesia has the second highest number of Covid-19 cases in Southeast Asia.

Total cases: 4,024 (as of Aug. 15)

French Polynesia is open — but there’s a catch

While French Polynesia remains open to tourists, the country is experiencing a spike of Covid-19 cases. After the South Pacific islands reported just two cases in all of June and July, French Polynesia has confirmed 104 cases in the past two weeks. The country has been open for just over a month; it reopened to tourists (and abolished quarantine requirements) on July 15. 

Cases have been confirmed in Tahiti, Mo’orea, Bora Bora and Rangiora, despite requirements that travelers produce negative polymerase chain reaction (PCR) Covid-19 tests before arriving.

From Aug. 12 to 25, nightclubs must remain closed, and masks are required in restaurants, bars, shops and other public areas.  

Total cases: 211

The Maldives is surging

More than 3,000 foreign tourists, mainly from the U.K. and the U.S., visited the Maldives since it reopened its borders on July 15. Unfortunately, the country experienced a surge in coronavirus cases several weeks later. 

The island nation has had 1,730 new cases since the start of August, which means around 30% of its total cases stem from the past two weeks alone. The first confirmed Covid-19 case in the country was on March 7. 

Total cases: 5,909

Hawaii’s reopening is likely delayed

Hawaii was on schedule to reopen on Sept. 1 until the island of Oahu experienced a spike in new cases this month. The state’s reopening had already been postponed from Aug. 1, due to an increase in cases in the continental U.S.

A rise in cases on the island of Oahu is threatening to derail Hawaii's Sept. 1 reopening plans.

A rise in cases on the island of Oahu is threatening to derail Hawaii’s Sept. 1 reopening plans.
Laszlo Podor | Moment | Getty Images

“We are headed in the wrong direction,” said Governor David Ige during a Zoom press conference on Aug. 13. He warned that if cases continue to rise, Hawaii’s pre-travel testing program may be delayed. The program would allow travelers with recent negative Covid-19 test results to avoid Hawaii’s 14-day self-quarantine requirement.

Tourism industry executives predict Hawaii’s reopening may be pushed to November or even December, as reported by Hawaii News Now.

48 minutes ago, Pdoggg said:

Suspect the LOS will remain closed to tourists for quite awhile. 

There's a possibility that Phuket might be opened to 'safe and sealed' tourists from October, where tourists are allowed in to stay at quarantine hotels and use specified section of beach. I might consider that for January/February if I couldn't get back to Jomtien.

https://www.thethaiger.com/news/phuket/phuket-eyes-october-1-as-launch-date-for-safe-and-sealed-tourism-plan

Screenshot 2020-08-18 at 13.20.07 - Edited.png

• Like 1