The Future Travel for a World in Lockdown

duke007

On 7/9/2020 at 5:42 AM, Pdoggg said:

I view a spike as a sudden uptick and a wave as a sustained uptick.

Travel bubbles:

Three guys were found trespassing by Mabprachan Lake on the Darkside.  They were put on trial and the judge called them in one by one.

Judge: What were you doing in the lake after 9 pm?

Farang 1 from Birmingham: Your honor, I was blowing bubbles.

Farang 1 exits, Farang 2 from Melbourne comes in

Judge: What were you doing in the lake after 9 pm?

Farang 2: Your honor, I was blowing bubbles.

Farnag 2 exits, Somchai comes in

Judge: Dont tell me you were blowing bubbles too.

Somchai: No sir my name is Bubbles

Iz fan are ya ? :)

in a recent Stickman column...

"New Zealand went in to a frenzy this week after two Kiwis returning to the country were released early from quarantine early on compassionate grounds only to test positive for Covid-19. The test was carried out after they had driven much of the length of the north island. Don’t worry, this is not a column about New Zealand. Rather, it’s about how what is happening around the world makes me think it is going to be quite some time until any of us get back to Thailand.

The joy of overcoming Covid-19 has been celebrated in New Zealand, but we’ve become complacent. A blunder at the border allowed the virus back in.

Would we face another round of lock-down, essentially being locked up, and more economic carnage? The thought of returning to lock-down almost sent the population in to meltdown.

We are told the way to keep the virus out of New Zealand – and for life to retain some semblance of normality – is to effectively keep the border closed. But is the way things are now really normal? To be clear, Kiwis can leave the country at any time, but will face a mandatory 14-day quarantine on return."

Now...some time back I proposed a quarantine center at or NEAR the airport, with street food vendors maybe, a mini village.  At this point it seems the most practical thing but NOT at $85 a day as the Thai gov proposes (I think food was extra).  I propose a whacking big guesthouse setup, with on site food staff that does not come in contact with "guests".  AND (this is crucial) the Thai gov adds 2 weeks to the month entry they give most tourists.  Probably need a seperate Imm/Customs setup as there may be some few that are allowed in without measures.  You'd get in a nice bus that would take you straight to the "guesthouse" where you would loll around (yeah, it SHOULD have limited alcohol available, by limited I mean if a person gets TANKED and starts fights over footie or Trump, they'd be reduced by half or something :) ), big screens in a few rooms, plenty of a range of good Thai foods, but mostly average, Richy Rich can order his favs to come by delivery moto.  Personally I could do this easily as sometimes the jetlag from flying halfway around the globe puts me in recovery mode for almost a week anyway.  At the end of 14 days, you get tested and if cleared, released for your month (or whatever) of fun in the blazing sun.  Some might say HEY, test us after we get off the plane, no, if even ONE person tests positive the whole lot gets the quarantine ANYWAY.  Of course this place would be supervised like a JAIL. NO in/out as you please, no visitors, it's got to be as strict as possible for assurance right?  Computer banks for those who travel only with those toy computers known as smartphones :P and a whacking big library of films.  Personally I have around 4000 movies and TV series seasons.

This would emply extra numbers of Thai's at each guesthouse, bus driver, cooks, etc, plus more income for support biz like food supplies, laundry and so on.  Actually every country should be setting up something like this at main entry airports and even at big city hospitals as this COULD go on for a couple years (hope not more) AND it won't be the LAST TIME I suspect.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JustSumGai said:

Thoughts?

Personally I wouldn't go if there are quarantines, crazy demands for insurance, flight prices doubled. No way I'm getting on a plane, train or bus at this point. I drive my car when i need to go somewhere., avoid crowds, new contacts, shop late at night when there are very few customers around.  

re. New Zealand. No country can contain this. It's just silly to even try. The price a country pays to shut the whole system down is brutal. Is it better people die slowly from starvation and poverty?  We're all in this together. Like you say, all it takes is two returning kiwis to use your example, or a few security guards in Melbourne to fuck returning quarantined  vacationers.

Problem is that people are stupid. Believe it or not, there are already charter trips to Greece from where I live. They just couldn't have waited a few more months, stayed the fuck home, tending their gardens, take shorter local trips, get drunk with their neighbours.  No, they just had to get on a packed airplane and fly to Rhodes, stay on packed beaches, get drunk and lose all their already little common sense they had to begin with.

Sooner or later the world will have some kind of herd immunity, the virus is watered down to a flu. Vaccine will probably not be the universal fix everyone is waiting for. Meds are being used to treat severely ill infected already. So a bit of everything will come into play.

We have to find some way together, a balanced, realistic plan out of this mess. It'll probably take longer than we want or hoped for but we don't really have a choice, do we. 

What might stop us from prevailing is peoples ignorance and stupidity. Your orange clown is leading the way and winning that race unchallenged.

The sooner we stop idiots like him, the better.  The sooner we might be able to return to Los and its ladymen.

• Like 3

well, I agree about the cost of managing it, patient survives country returns to the stone age, same number of people die from food robbers n such. It's just prolonging things, which I suppose is why Rainman (watch the movie then watch Trump speak...bad...not good....VERY bad) is being told to do this thing, he's just a mouthpiece after all, Regan 2.0.  Bottom line IF the world got it in a SHORT period...what? 5% dead? ok, so 150,000,000 might die...we still got near SIX BILLION PEOPLE on this rock. They need to put up hundreds of quarantine centers world wide, this ain't gonna be the last of it. Regs and procedure should be in place for the next time. I suppose you might have a quarantine system at home, then test and fly out but some people will find a way to hoax it.  I mean ya spend more than 14 days making the moolah to make the trip, and planning for it, etc. I don't think it's going away as a BIG problem even next year, it'll just drag on and on and on with band aids being slapped on.  And even without Rainman we have the worlds 4th largest population here, and they're MOBILE, zippin around in cars all the time. To get ANY kind of control we'd have to what? lock down whole cities? Take away peoples cars? what? I suppose I"d have your view if I were NOT in COVID CENTRAL. I suspect USA citizens will not be welcomed for years to come.

12 hours ago, JustSumGai said:

Thoughts?

6 hours ago, seven said:

Personally I wouldn't go if there are quarantines, crazy demands for insurance, flight prices doubled. No way I'm getting on a plane, train or bus at this point. I drive my car when i need to go somewhere., avoid crowds, new contacts, shop late at night when there are very few customers around.  

I have been getting a lot of emails lately from Qatar Airways yesterday I had a offer of £479  return from Cardiff to Bangkok must book by the 14 July 2020 and travel up to the 10 Dec 2020. Normally I would of pounced on this offer and would of felt great knowing my trip was now arranged and something to look forward to. This time I simply looked at the offer and thought not this year . You summed up perfectly "Seven"   :drinks:

• Like 3

I"m crossing my fingers....Faucci, who is one of the more believable guys, seems very bullish on the prospect of a vaccine before years end.  I hope it happens AFTER elections. I am STILL angry over Reagan convincing the Iranian gov to NOT release the hostages (which Carter had engineered) until AFTER he was elected.  Then got credit for it.  If a vaccine comes thru, suddenly Rainman will be praising Faucci (who he's now trying to discredit) and his Jerry Springer supporters will all swell up with pride and we'll never heard the end of it. At this point if vaccine don't happen til after the election might be Rainman will be gone, his numbers ain't lookin so good now.

at that point this whole thing could change quite a bit I should think. Might see the inside of an airplane destined for LOS. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, seven said:

I know you think Thailand is one of the safest places on earth right now

The article is about quarantined repatriated Thais who then test positive while quarantined.  I assume that is because they were infected with Covid before returning but did not yield a positive result until a week later.  It seems in this case the quarantine worked and stopped the potential spread of the virus.

State Quarantining everyone who returns to Thailand with perhaps extremely few limited exceptions who can self quarantine seems like an effective strategy to stamp out the virus in the LOS.

7 hours ago, seven said:

please enjoy it while you can.

Things could very well flip flop in a few years as the rest of the world builds up herd immunity while Thailand doesn't.   Maybe at that time I'll have to move to Sweden if they'll let in a guy coming from Thailand with an American passport.

• Like 1

some guy wrote a post on Stickman about his wife going home to sick Mom and her report of the quarantine.  You don't leave THE ROOM. They call at 7am AND at 5pm and if you don't answer you get a scolding the first time or two and then face 2000 baht fines each time you don't answer.  Insane.  I daresay NO westerner would put up with this.  And few if any others, except Thai's returning to sick family, etc. The food was ok she said.  oh and LOTS of testing.  Only an effective vaccine MIGHT save Thai people and business from this Draconian rule. Might.  I'm thinking a ladyboy guesthouse/bar in Puerto Rico or the Vigin Islands, or other Caribbean local might work :)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

repatriated Thais who then test positive while quarantined.

Yes, have many around the world.

14 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Things could very well flip flop in a few years as the rest of the world builds up herd immunity while Thailand doesn't.   Maybe at that time I'll have to move to Sweden if they'll let in a guy coming from Thailand with an American passport.

I'll fix you a visa.

Bergamo,Italy where the shit it the fan in January, the European hotspot (along with Ischgl,  Austria) estimated 56 % of population have immunity.

Stockholm around 40%.

• Like 1

Herd immunity only occurs when around 70% plus of the population has had the infection. There are some indications that COVID-19 does not cause the immune system to develop long term immunity - antibodies are fading after a few months, and some people are testing positive more than once after recovering from the initial infection. There has to be more research done to confirm this - but if COVID 19 persists and returns seasonally like the flu, the only protection will be a seasonal vaccine, just like the flu vaccines.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, rxpharm said:

There are some indications that COVID-19 does not cause the immune system to develop long term immunity

T-cells might do. Some are immune but have no antibodies, they suspect T-cells give immunity, but there is no test for those.

"Our results indicate that roughly twice as many people have developed T-cell immunity compared with those who we can detect antibodies in.”

“Larger and more longitudinal studies must now be done on both T cells and antibodies to understand how long-lasting the immunity is and how these different components of COVID-19 immunity are related,”

https://news.ki.se/immunity-to-covid-19-is-probably-higher-than-tests-have-shown

70% herd is reachable obviously. 

• 4 weeks later...

Holidays to Thailand won't happen in 2020, tourism board say

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/holidays-thailand-wont-happen-2020-134400095.html

The country's tourism board has dashed hopes that travellers might have of a winter sun holiday, explaining that they are unlikely to open their boarders to travel in 2020.

The deputy governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), Chattan Kunjara Na Ayudhya, explained, "The Christmas period, usually the high season, is in jeopardy and I’m looking horribly even to Chinese New Year in February. It is not a rosy picture."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sydneyjohn57 said:

I checked the article and yes they spelt (spelled for those in USA) borders as boarders. Strange one would think as the Yahoo article is shown to be a reproduction of a Cosmopolitan UK article.

Geez, dont critique those from the States and their spelling. Next thing you will point out the word fit as in fitted with something!.

9 hours ago, seven said:

The country's tourism board has dashed hopes that travellers might have of a winter sun holiday, explaining that they are unlikely to open their boarders to travel in 2020.

It sure isn't worth making any plans even for 2021 I reckon.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1967163/no-end-in-sight-for-flights-ban

It is an indefinite ban, said CAAT director Chula Sukmanop and the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) would monitor the global situation before deciding when the flights could resume.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, BigTel said:

Yes as that's the only way we will be allowed to travel and the only way I would wish to travel .

I don't think I will be travelling again even if there is a vaccine as I have a severe phobia of injections - I haven't had any since the mandatory childhood vaccinations which were what gave me my phobia.

If a vaccine were available in the form of a nasal spray, orally or by high pressure jet I would be first in the queue.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Quietguy said:

If a vaccine were available in the form of a nasal spray, orally or by high pressure jet I would be first in the queue

Well QG  here's wishing for both to be available so we can get out once again to Thailand and enjoy a Beer or two in Jomptien :drinks:

• Like 2

Bad news is that Jet2 have just cancelled my holiday to Spain (Benidorm) next Tuesday.... :cray:

Good news is that they have given me a full refund voucher for a later date so I just used it to book Turkey (Gumbet) leaving next Thursday instead. :good:

Not only will I get an extra 3 night holiday it works out at £100 cheaper which Jet2 will refund to my bank, life ain't too bad :drinks:

Wicked :party:

• Like 2