The Future Travel for a World in Lockdown

duke007

Tourism is the last thing on people's minds right now unless they are in the tourism industry.

It seems like a real downward spiral to me.. people don't spend money, business fail, a business that relies on those businesses suffer, layoffs and they fail.. terrible situation.

Our whole system has been exposed as an elaborate facade. A house of cards balanced on a single card (consumer spending). Once that's pulled out everything goes to complete shit. I don't know if the Fed will even be able to crank out cash fast enough to stop the collapse.

I think our commerce is going to greatly change, with much less emphasis on producing on the other side of the globe. Some people will do real good.. those that can identify the new trends and go into those lines of business early on.

Some businesses like concerts, professional sports, etc. are going to be greatly diminished for the foreseeable future.

And if you think we can go back to normal at anytime soon.. you should know a cough travels 20 feet. A sneeze 27 feet. And, at a minimum, half the infected are asymptomatic. Meaning no one will know or stop them from making contact.

AKA, any "contact" with other people is going to spread COVID-19. Sure you have a few fanatics showing up at football stadiums but not everyone is stupid. The only way out of this mess is widespread testing and I don't see that happening till at least 2021.

And for most of us who lived through the 2007-08 great recession and had to cut spending.. cutting down to bare minimum expenses isn't hard.

I've bought $300 worth of things in the last month.. and all of it is food. Besides that my only other expenses have been electricity, gas, water, internet, phone and my healthcare insurance.

Tourism is so low on my list.

• Like 4

this may be like a reboot button.  Consumers MIGHT realize much of what they consume is really not  necessary.  Reset to a more sane approach to life.  Might spur a little local production of some goods?  Can't be ALL bad, odds are some good stuff will come from this.

• 2 months later...

Thai tourist arrivals to plunge 80% this year - industry body

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand is expected to see at most 8 million foreign tourists this year, down 80% from a year earlier, as the coronavirus pandemic curbs global travel, a tourism body said on Tuesday.

The sector is expected to recover in 2021, Chairat Triratanajaraspon, president of the Tourism Council of Thailand, an industry group, told reporters.

Last year, Thailand attracted a record 39.8 million foreign tourists, whose spending accounted for about 11% of Thai GDP.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/thai-tourist-arrivals-plunge-80-113637529.html

3d4baf09162056f3e22a46695fab20d4.jpg

• Like 1

Its going to be a weird 2 to 5 years ahead of us. I cant see how we can get through the virus threat for at least another 2 years. And then what that will do for the economy, lockdown or no lockdown will be changing it forever.

I want to go to an LB lounge right now. No fucking way I would do that till we see at least 6 months of minimal infections to know it's totally safe to do discretionary events like going to LB lounges involving close and intimate contact with strangers.

I'm pretty excited in some ways though. Things will change, and so we will be living under new paradigms. Lots of new ways we will need to learn, and find fun and activity in new ways too. Unfortunately, significantly reduced international travel just for pleasure will likely be one of those changes. Lucky I did a SHIT LOAD of travelling and holidays while things were free and open.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, seven said:

I can't understand why Englanders are banned from international travelling.:biggrin:

What is the most annoying is it makes me feel that for the past 100 days plus I have been following the rules here in Wales regarding the lockdown only to see the effort being wasted in these pictures.     :drinks:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BigTel said:

What is the most annoying is it makes me feel that for the past 100 days plus I have been following the rules here in Wales regarding the lockdown only to see the effort being wasted in these pictures.     :drinks:

I agree. I've been following the rules in London too. I've only been out of my flat about 5 times in last 3 months, for food or medicine from pharmacy. I don't need to go out for food now as I've managed to get onto a supermarket's online order and delivery list which was closed before.

Yes, it must upset the NHS staff who fear a second spike

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Quietguy said:

Yes, it must upset the NHS staff who fear a second spike

This is the most concerning as the first spike was bad enough. I have been lucky that a good friend has been getting my shopping for me so I have only been out early Mornings for exercise and the rest of the time staying at Home.   :drinks:

14 hours ago, stoolpusher said:

All the cases are in the one housing complex and they are all refugees 

Eh, no:

Australia: New Coronavirus Lockdown Melbourne Amid Sex, Lies, Quarantine Hotel Scandal

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tamarathiessen/2020/07/07/australia-coronavirus-melbourne-lockdown-hotel-sex-scandal/

Melbourne’s quarantine hotels have been identified as a major source of the virus escalation. Since the Australia travel ban came into force in March, all travelers returning from overseas must self-isolate for 14 days in their hotel rooms.

“Somehow this virus escaped ... It looks like it all came from one hotel, and a few security guards having a good time,” said the ABC’s chief political correspondent, Laura Tingle. “It’s obviously now escaped hugely,” Tingle told Late Night Live host Phillip Adams. 

The virus containment method, which “was the envy of the world just a few weeks ago,” was within 24 hours “brutally exposed” notes News.com.au.

31 cases stem from the biggest hotel outbreak at the 5-star Stamford Plaza Melbourne The Australian reports. That number continues to grow. Positive Covid tests taken during quarantine include security guards and “a household contact of a confirmed case.”

Security staff and “quarantine-hotel insiders” claim hotel guards slept with guests during quarantine the newspaper says. And that “security personnel wore personal protective equipment for up to eight hours without changing it.”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seven said:

Eh, no:

Australia: New Coronavirus Lockdown Melbourne Amid Sex, Lies, Quarantine Hotel Scandal

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tamarathiessen/2020/07/07/australia-coronavirus-melbourne-lockdown-hotel-sex-scandal/

Melbourne’s quarantine hotels have been identified as a major source of the virus escalation. Since the Australia travel ban came into force in March, all travelers returning from overseas must self-isolate for 14 days in their hotel rooms.

“Somehow this virus escaped ... It looks like it all came from one hotel, and a few security guards having a good time,” said the ABC’s chief political correspondent, Laura Tingle. “It’s obviously now escaped hugely,” Tingle told Late Night Live host Phillip Adams. 

The virus containment method, which “was the envy of the world just a few weeks ago,” was within 24 hours “brutally exposed” notes News.com.au.

31 cases stem from the biggest hotel outbreak at the 5-star Stamford Plaza Melbourne The Australian reports. That number continues to grow. Positive Covid tests taken during quarantine include security guards and “a household contact of a confirmed case.”

Security staff and “quarantine-hotel insiders” claim hotel guards slept with guests during quarantine the newspaper says. And that “security personnel wore personal protective equipment for up to eight hours without changing it.”

I like the last line. Could they not afford new condoms?.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, blind boy grunt said:

so is a spike a wave, or not a wave?

I view a spike as a sudden uptick and a wave as a sustained uptick.

Travel bubbles:

Three guys were found trespassing by Mabprachan Lake on the Darkside.  They were put on trial and the judge called them in one by one.

Judge: What were you doing in the lake after 9 pm?

Farang 1 from Birmingham: Your honor, I was blowing bubbles.

Farang 1 exits, Farang 2 from Melbourne comes in

Judge: What were you doing in the lake after 9 pm?

Farang 2: Your honor, I was blowing bubbles.

Farnag 2 exits, Somchai comes in

Judge: Dont tell me you were blowing bubbles too.

Somchai: No sir my name is Bubbles

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, blind boy grunt said:

wow !....we got a new buzzword? so is a spike a wave, or not a wave? maybe a little wave? a short-time wave? does travel bubble come into it? that's a new one too.

You forgot surge, and it's travel bridge not travel bubble.

bubble is a small group of people. You and Lily could be a bubble.

nope. travel Bubble is the latest idea of some countries with low corona,  i think it meant less quarantine or something like, but don't have much of a clue, as soon i as i see new buzzwords i turn off....

i believe the bubble plan included Thailand,New Zealand and others. it's been talked about for weeks, but now evidently forgotten because of bubbly wavy spiky happenings in some of the planned members countries

how come you didn't know that it's called travel Bubble in Thailand then? Pattaya Mail gone bust?

You and Lily could be a bubble.

more like half a bubble really.

2 hours ago, blind boy grunt said:

the latest idea of some countries with low corona

Its the countries who are living under the illusion that they have no covid-19 and /or believe they can contain their "virus free" country from the rest of the world by shutting it down. No one gets in, no one out.  Sounds great huh.

56 minutes ago, seven said:

Its the countries who are living under the illusion that they have no covid-19 and /or believe they can contain their "virus free" country from the rest of the world by shutting it down. No one gets in, no one out.  Sounds great huh.

It's a suspended animation , no answer to it really, as soon as they open borders they let in Covid yet by keeping borders tightly shut they destroy their Country from within.

• Like 1