Morlam/Morlum-Want To Meet Hundreds Of Ladyboys?

pdogg

It's on 3rd Road about halfway between Pattaya Central Road and Pattaya North Road. Private songthew will bring your entire group for about 150 baht. Or you can take a baht bus up Pattaya Central Road, get off at 3rd Road and walk for about 8 minutes.

Or walk the whole distance or take a mototaxi.

Walking from the beach, you take Pattaya Klang  (Pattaya Central Road which is the main road between and parallel to Soi 6 and Soi 7) to 3rd Road and then make a LEFT and walk about seven or eight minutes till you see the lights in the above pic. 

Live from third road. Morlam is on tonight. Bring hour wellies. Anyway I'm off to have some delicious fried chicken.

Lights on means game on!

Last Morlam there was over 1000 ladyboys.  However, given the weather I'd be surprised if more than 500 ladyboys tonight. 

How is "Morlam" correctly pronounced?

Most times I tried to mention it in conversation with a ladyboy I'd just get a quizzical look. I was pronouncing it like a dinner item - "more lamb".

Then I'd mime singing and dancing and say "Isaan music" and their eyes would light up and they spit out this guttural "molam!" in a lower octave and like it should have an exclamation mark in its spelling.

How say? And what does it actually mean?

Morlam as spelled in Thai:   หมอลำ 

Morlam music is also referred to as "mor-lam", "moh-lam", "moh-lum", and similar spellings, as the English transliteration from Thai and Lao is inexact. 

But unless you get the tone correct then the above is meaningless.

And it's spoken in Issan dialect not Thai.

You might be tempted to say as Emily Litela might say:

Never mind.  (English)

บ๊อเป็นหยัง bor bhen yang (Issan dialect)

ไม่เป็นไร mai bhen rai (Thai)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Keep an eye of for posters similar to the ones posted here.  They are always in Thai, but the date/ number is easy to see.  Also a baht bus drives around Pattaya a day or so before the event announcing it, again all in Thai but easy to work out what's happening..  

• 1 month later...