The Pattaya Times

bumblebee

These two ladyboys were just released from the monkey house a couple weeks ago and the German tourist shown on the motobike brought them back to his Soi Buakhao guesthouse. When he woke up his cash, phone, and  gold chain was missing.  Looks like they will be going back to the Monkey House and am impressed that the police went to the effort of checking an enroute CCTV.  Big Brother is watching you! 

twolb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Pdoggg said:

Big fire at the Holiday Inn Express on Soi Buakhao in the wee hours this morning.  400 guests evacuated.

I never quite understood why HIE chose Soi Buakhao for a location. I sure don't want to see Buakhao getting big tourist hotels.

17 minutes ago, bumblebee said:

Never even knew there was an Express version of that hotel group till I saw it when I got back this trip.

It was under construction last winter when I was here. A bit lower price point than a regular HI. HIE advertises a lot via TV commercials in the US. When the HI opened in Pattaya it was not guest friendly. Not sure if that is still the case or the policy at HIE.  

• Like 2

I don't know that HIExpress is not guest friendly just that the original regular Holiday Inn (near Beach Road and Soi 1) was not guest friendly when it opened. But I have always though Buakhao was a curious location for a big hotel chain to open a hotel. I guess they have smokers rooms now...  

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 2:15 PM, Pdoggg said:

Big fire at the Holiday Inn Express on Soi Buakhao in the wee hours this morning.

One of those wires in that picture is/was my 3BB internet feed.

I called 3BB out yesterday and they spent two hours, then again today with another pair who got me back online in an hour. That was a couple of hours ago.

As it happens, I walked past Holiday Inn Express on Friday morning at around 07.30am on my way to Friendship so was aware of what had happened. it is not far from me at all and the monkey put two and two together. This was confirmed when I checked the event logs of my almost-always-on laptop, which reported DNS servers not responding at 04.31 that morning. So I used my limited Thai to suggest the possiblity of fire damage to the 3BB lads.

I learned how to say 'Fire' in Thai language back in December 1998 while staying in Street One Lodge, Soi 1, Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok .. fai mai, fai mai .. Someone had fallen asleep with a lit cigarette on the go. He went to jail, by all accounts. That place had to be rebuilt due to the fire and smoke damage, even though the fire was contained within just a few rooms the smoke and water ruined the rest. The fire brigade, who took their own sweet time in getting there, literally flooded the place throughout, to be on the safe side. Also, many rooms were cleared of valuables by either security or emergency services while the evacuees stood outside watching the events before being allowed back inside a room at a time.

Another small Thai language lesson; a fire damaged or burnt cable is called 'fai mai kaybun'. Another one for the lingo list, although I'll probably just remember it.

• Like 2

Irishman beaten senseless on Soi 7 by 10 Thais less than 24 hours after he arrived in Sodom By The Sea.

bart.jpg

The scene of the scene has tourists, both Thais and foreign people. See the incident of the body of Mr. Bart O 'Gready, 46 years old, Ireland is injured. There are wounds in the face, many bleeding in the symptoms. The First Aid Officer, the first aid, so that the wounded are conscious, so tell the authorities to listen to the tears with regret. Just arrived in the city of cuddle pattaya. Just less than 24 hours. Back to be lynched.

• 2 weeks later...

A Thai lady jumped to her death from the 22nd floor of a 38 story hotel in Jomtien last night. She had an argument with her Japanese boyfriend earlier in the evening.

jomjump.jpg

According to the investigation, Mr. Boonperphassada, 43, aunt-in-law, the deceased, testified that before the incident was a birthday. As a result of having a dinner in a restaurant in Jomtien Beach area While having fun drinking and eating The dead had serious arguments with a Japanese boyfriend. Due to jealousy Because not happy that the boyfriend tried to befriend the girls who attended the event When the feast was over Both were traveling back to the hotel. But the victim locked himself in his room. Although the boyfriend tried to knock to open the door In order to reconcile to reconcile But the deceased refused to open Not long, security guard staff The hotel ran and looked woke up, saying that someone had leaped from the hotel room to die. Therefore ran together to see that it was already dead Initially, the police speculated that the dead may have caused the neglect of the Japanese boyfriend. As well as drinking alcohol So came back to decide to jump from the hotel room to die The funeral was given to rescue personnel at Bang Lamung Hospital in order to wait for relatives to come to collect the body to perform religious rituals .     https://www.dailynews.co.th/regional/748252

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, markm said:

its not a healthy city is it. for your mind i mean .

It can certainly do your head in. Behaviour patterns are maybe not what we are used to.

A couple of things puzzle me, such as. If you ask most of the LBs what they think of another , (and you may be asking a legit question not a gossipy one), they do not comment. Answer is something like,"me not say".  There is no opinion to much else as well. A very closeted life.

Also I think for a farang it must be hard to live there full time, unless you are in a special relationship!!.

It is a different lifestyle to that which we grew up in.

• Like 3

I just googled Thai mental health. It seems that despite our conception of a happy society because of the smiles, Thais have a similar proportion of mental health problems to Western society, around 20% experiencing mh issues.

But there is a greater stigma in Thai society, and generally in Asia, to admit to having mental problems, and also fear of incurring costs for treatment.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Quietguy said:

I just googled Thai mental health. It seems that despite our conception of a happy society because of the smiles, Thais have a similar proportion of mental health problems to Western society, around 20% experiencing mh issues.

But there is a greater stigma in Thai society, and generally in Asia, to admit to having mental problems, and also fear of incurring costs for treatment.

In japan they make no effort to help disabled people. Eg wheel chair access . They just keep them at home. Asia has a obligation to look after the old and infirm but it’s all an elusion. They had a poll and Thai people were the happiest in the world. Eg elusion. When are we all going to realise we are all homo sapien . We are all the same inside . What is the answer I don’t know,  but finding differences amongst ourselves is not the answer. A rant yes, pissing in the wind yes. It’s a bit depressing maybe I am joining the 20% . But not today .

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Quietguy said:

Probably correct , add to that that they have no back up of a democratic system of government let alone any semblance of a welfare state it must be tough 

Thailand is a society of a small percentage of super rich and a larger percentage of people with nothing fighting for the scraps no wonder many don't survive 

• Like 3

On 2/8/2020 at 9:51 PM, markm said:

They had a poll and Thai people were the happiest in the world. 

Thailand has one of the higher suicide rates in the world. World Health Organisation figures for 2016 put Thailand at #43 with 12.9 suicides per 100,000 people.

US was higher at #34 with 13.7 per 100k - I'd guess that has something to do with easy access to guns.

UK was #109 with 7.6 per 100k.

Of course often suicides aren't recorded as such because of social stigma, and in less developed countries because of lack of accurate recording.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Quietguy said:

Thailand has one of the higher suicide rates in the world. World Health Organisation figures for 2016 put Thailand at #43 with 12.9 suicides per 100,000 people.

US was higher at #34 with 13.7 per 100k - I'd guess that has something to do with easy access to guns.

UK was #109 with 7.6 per 100k.

Of course often suicides aren't recorded as such because of social stigma, and in less developed countries because of lack of accurate recording.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

A bit like the road  deaths. It’s only counted if you dia at the scene. Get you in the ambulance or die later nup not a road death. I think you could add on at least 50%. What are they up to I think it’s around 1500 1st week into feb. 

• Like 1