African Horse Sickness (AHS) in Thailand

Pdoggg

BANGKOK (Reuters) - More than 100 horses have died from African Horse Sickness (AHS) in Thailand, government data showed, in the Southeast Asian country’s first instance of the illness that only affects animals.

“This disease has just occurred in Thailand. We’ve never had it in the past,” director-general of the Department of Livestock Development, Sorawit Thanito, said on Thursday.

The government has quarantined sick horses to limit the spread of the disease, Sorawit said.

At least 131 horses have died across four provinces, latest government data showed.

“We have to investigate how this virus got to Thailand,” he said, adding that the government was notified in late March of AHS in the country.

Horses suffering from the illness can have fevers of over 39 Celsius, difficulty breathing and bleeding in the eyes.

There have been no reported cases of AHS in humans and it was not related to the outbreak of the new coronavirus, Sorawit said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-horses/thailand-hit-by-african-horse-sickness-killing-over-100-horses-idUSKBN21K1BM

• Like 1

The horse racing industry in Thailand, already suffering with the closure of one Bangkok track (leaving only fortnightly race-meetings at the Royal Bangkok Sports Club), and now completely shut down over the COVID-19 virus, has been dealt yet another blow with so many race-horses dying from this latest disease.

I don't want to be Captain Doom & Gloom, but I think it will be a huge task to put racing back on it's feet here. And of course we don't really know when it will be safe to even think of holding meetings again.

Before anyone rips into me about horse-racing over the major health crisis facing humans, look at the people who are now out of work, including trainers, jockeys, trackwork riders, stablehands, sellers of form-guides, printers of the guides, food and drink sellers at the tracks, track staff and the list goes on. Difficult times

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, seven said:

I think horse/dog racing should've been banned a long time ago. Bull fighting too. Wet markets too.

Seven, I respect your opinion on everything, and agree with you on most things. It's good that on LBR we can share opinions.

It's a tragedy for the horses, racing or just horses, with this latest disease. I see someone suggested covering the stables with netting to keep out the gnats; good luck with that. But I hope the situation can be resolved (quickly). 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Quietguy said:

Apart from the horses, what about the elephants?

It appears to me that soi dogs are acting up. First off, tougher for them to find food.  Pattaya soi dogs sense something is different and a natural instinct towards  territoriality seems to be kicking in.  

• 1 month later...

the horse racing biz as many will rebound, and as is typical with things like this, many will make good money buying low.  Suing the Thai government, now that is a HOOT! Has anyone ever successfully done that? I mean it'll be thrown out of court, over seen by an elite insider  judge, etc.  Allowing zebras in with no constraints is yet another example that building hundreds of high rise condos and luxury malls does NOT instantly make you first world.  Wtf, race zebras. :)  Cull the monkeys, feed em to the impounded strays and ship em to where ever they eat em. Sorted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1