Pattaya Ghost Town Or Not

Pdoggg

At my local they are quite concerned about getting everyone out by 11 PM.  They made an announcement to that effect and the band stopped playing at 10:30 tonight.  Still way too early for me but rather go home early than have my picture in tomorrow's Pattaya Daily Mail.

7 Pattaya bars were raided.

The venues included the Diviarium Cafe in Jomtien Complex where over fifty people were found allegedly breaking Covid-19 rules like not wearing masks, social distancing, and other disease control measures. The venue was also allegedly selling alcohol past the legal closing time of 11:00 PM and breaking Chonburi Communicable Disease Control orders. Some customers reportedly tried to flee from police.

Also raided were bars (converted restaurants) in the Soi Bongkot and Soi Buakhao area. Legally, bars and nightlife have been closed in Thailand nationally since April of 2021 due to Covid-19 regulations although have been allowed to recently reopen as “restaurants” with strict rules, certifications, and regulations.

The managers/caretakers of the venues were arrested and legal charges relating to the alleged violation of disease control measures will be filed, according to Mr. Wuttisak. It was not immediately clear if any customers were fined or arrested.

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/01/29/banglamung-police-raid-a-total-of-seven-allegedly-illegally-open-entertainment-venues-in-pattaya-early-this-morning/

Representatives of Pattaya tourism business operators were preparing for roadshows and tourism-related activities in Saudi Arabia to promote Thai tourism and attract Saudi tourists to visit Thailand as suggested by the Prime Minister, expecting to have a significant effect on the country’s economy, Governor Yuthasak said.

In terms of Pattaya, early plans are reportedly forming to promote Pattaya as a “HUB” for tourism from Saudi Arabia, especially Islamic tourism.

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/01/31/prominent-pattaya-tourism-business-operators-scheduled-to-perform-roadshow-in-saudi-arabia-to-promote-tourism-following-thai-pms-plan/

IMO, keep things simple and let vaccinated farang back in with no other strings attached.

And the only thing that will stabilize the Pattaya condo market is the return of the Chinese.

Without the Chinese, Pattaya condo rents will be at the current super low level for years to come.

• 3 weeks later...

Pattaya area beach associations also have said that domestic tourists visiting the beaches in the past few weeks has dropped about 90 percent.

Pattaya sits at over 90 percent double vaccinated according to Pattaya Mayor Sonthaya Khunpluem.

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, duke007 said:

The Hemingway's (ex Retox) in Pattaya

Is Hemingway's Pattaya connected to Hemingway's Jomtien?  A few forum members have been to Hemingway's Jomtien Dozens of times.  

Re Retox, is this Retox Soi Honey or Retox Soi Lengke?

• 3 weeks later...

Although many Pattaya bars have been staying open until midnight (some later with shutters down), as of May 1st it appears that they (Restaurants that are SHA+ registered will be able to remain open until midnight, including businesses operating as ‘pseudo bars’) can legally do so.

Some more info about changes going into effect on May Day (Sex Workers of the World Unite).

Highlights of changes
Test and Go is gone, no pre-booking of hotels required (except for unvaccinated). A.K.A. no pre or post-arrival mandatory Covid-19 tests.
Thailand Pass remains mainly to prove insurance and vaccination status
Alcohol serving venues can stay open until Midnight, although continue to be converted into restaurants and not legally bars or nightlife
Mandatory insurance reduced to 10,000 USD
Effective May 1st
The general meeting of the Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration, chaired by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-O’Cha, has announced the cancellation of the ‘Test&Go’ scheme and zoning relaxation in controlled areas (orange zones), effective May 1st.

Firstly, Thailand Pass will remain, mainly to verify vaccination status and proof of insurance. This will be continually evaluated. Thailand Pass will also be paused temporarily to update the system for the new rules, set to start on the first of May. Those who have already booked will need to inquire individually with hotels/Thailand Pass about potential refunds or “grandfather” clauses after May 1st. Before May 1st, all current rules will apply.

As a result of scrapping the ‘Test&Go’ scheme, all mandatory Covid-19 tests for vaccinated travelers have been canceled upon arrival in the Kingdom and only one self-ATK test is recommended (but not compulsory) during their stay. If an infection is found, they are required to go for treatment through the insurance process. Essentially, once one enters Thailand and goes through confirmation of their Thailand Pass paperwork and customs, they are free to go where they wish as of May first.

Advertisement

For non-vaccinated tourists, an RT-PCR test is required on the 4th-5th day of arrival in Thailand. If negative, a self-ATK (rapid antigen) test is later recommended during their stay. If an infection is found, they are required to go for treatment through an insurance process. A non-vaccinated person must still pre-book a hotel for five days and conduct a mandatory five-day hotel stay/quarantine, for now, this may change later this year.

The CCSA also announced the reduction of the insurance minimum coverage for both groups of vaccinated and non-vaccinated travelers from a minimum of USD 20,000 to a minimum of USD 10,000.

High-risk individuals who had contact with a person who tested positive for Covid-19 now only need to be quarantined for five days. They should also perform a self ATK test on Day 5 and Day 10. For days 6-10, they are allowed to end their quarantine but must continue to self-monitor their symptoms and self-test on day ten.

For domestic regulations, the CCSA has rezoned all the provinces in the controlled areas, or the orange zone, to the high surveillance areas, or the yellow zone, and some in the tourist pilot areas, or the blue zone. Essentially, this means all the provinces in the country are now basically following the same set of rules.

As a result, Thailand now has 0 provinces in the highest and most strict control areas (dark red), the maximum control area (red zone), and the controlled areas (orange zone), which dictated the level of Covid-19 rules that were set.

The high surveillance areas now has 65 provinces which include:

Kalasin Kamphaeng Phet Khon Kaen, Chanthaburi, Chachoengsao, Chaiyoeng, Chiang Rai, Trang, Trat, Nakhon Phanom, Nakhon Sawan, Narathiwat, Pattani, Narathiwat, Phra Sawan, Mukthan, Lamphun, Lamphun, Lamphun Songkhram, Sa Kaeo, Samut Songkhram, Sa Kaeo Saaburi, Sing Buri, Sukhothai, Suphan Buri Surin, Nong Khai, Nong Bua Lamphu, Ang Thong, Amnat Charoen Uthai Thani, Ubon Ratchathani, Tak Nakhon Nayok, Ubon Ratchathani Nakhon Ratchasima, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Buriram, Prachuap Khiri Khan Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, Phatthalung, Phichit, Phitsanulok, Ranong, Ratchaburi, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon, Surat Thani, Udon Thani, and Uttaradit

The blue zone or tourism pilot areas has now increased from 10 provinces to 12 provinces which include: Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, Krabi, Chonburi, Chiang Mai, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Phang Nga, Phetchaburi, Phuket, Rayong, and Songkhla.

Technically, bars and nightclubs, and entertainment venues remain legally closed and will continue as converted restaurants. This will be evaluated in the future, the CCSA noted. As stated above, however, venues that are “restaurants” can legally serve alcohol until midnight as of May first.

School openings were also discussed, which are the same as this article we published earlier today.

All of the changes above will be effective on May 1st. TPN notes that none of this is official until is printed as law in the Royal Gazette, which as usually based on decisions in the past take place just before the date it becomes effective. All rules and policies announced, as always, are subject to change.
This is a developing story and future changes and/or clarifications could be made to this article.

cmap.jpeg

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/04/22/thai-government-cancels-test-and-go-eases-legal-drinking-hours-and-more-covid-meeting-recap/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fenton said:

I don't think its going to improve anymore after this.

Its like Thailand homeland Security, they know who is coming and when and residing. Also who is leaving and when.

Very likely scenario. I don’t mind the app and tracing, but tests and mask mandatory I could do without.  I’m in for a long stay later on this year so I’ll play the game I guess.

I still don’t know if they dropped all testing. And if tests are still required and you test positive, what happens?

Edit.

PDs post above probably covered this but I got a headache reading it all.  As far as I can tell watching this video (cued up), there are no more PCR test, recommended ATK test on day 5, no designated + hotels, insurance dropped from 20K USD to 10K USD.  You have to use the Thailand Pass app  with various documentation included such as vaccine proof to enter the kingdom.  So called restaurants can stay open to midnight.

No complaints from me, actually pretty damn good news. Keeps away all the shady criminals lurking in Patts. Even the 2 week millionaires can live with this? 

Excellent news!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Quietguy said:

I think if access is easier this winter I might think about a longer stay, with a couple of weeks in Naklua and Pattaya before going to Jomtien.

Sounds great. Would be nice to catch up again over a beer and some good country tunes.

Does Bbg still have the cassette tape with the golden oldies?

• Like 1

I know Thailand pass is scrapped now , but for mass tourism the damage is already done for this year. Talked to some avid travellers yesterday and they expressed the exact same concern. Too complicated, too risky to end up in a state hospital, travelling should be smooth without added worries. They had no idea the TP was scrapped as they wrote off Thailand in late march and booked elsewhere. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tourist-favourite-thailands-recovery-lags-230312434.html

Tourist favourite Thailand's recovery lags on COVID rule changes

BANGKOK (Reuters) - When 23-year-old Norwegian Anastasia Johansen and her boyfriend were planning their first vacation in two years, they considered going to Thailand but chose nearby Vietnam instead, for its simpler entry rules on the coronavirus.

Thailand, one of the world's tourism destinations before the pandemic, was among the first nations in Asia to reopen its borders to vaccinated visitors last year with limited quarantine norms, hailed at the time as a model for re-opening.

But as regional peers have eased entry requirements, Thailand has clung to a cumbersome process.

"Whichever (country) offers easy, smooth, less complicated procedures wins my heart," said Johansen.

Tourism professionals say Thailand's complicated entry rules are now holding back recovery in an industry that contributed 12% of GDP before the pandemic.

"The red tape is killing us," said Bill Barnett, the managing director of hospitality consultancy C9 Hotelworks.

Thailand’s coronavirus taskforce spokesperson, Taweesin Visanuyothin, said tourist arrivals have been increasing as measures were relaxed and recognised that domestic infections outnumbered those from abroad.

However, Thailand's staggered approach to relaxing the rules has also caused confusion.

• Like 1