Pattaya Ghost Town Or Not

Pdoggg

I'm out walking most nights around 2AM and Pattaya feels like a Ghost Town (don't use that phrase around Thais).  It is downright eerie to see nobody walking around except me.  I encounter mostly motobike guys waiting for fares and just a handful Thais sitting with other Thais in their establishments.

So I was quite surprised when walking around Soi Buakhao late afternoon yesterday that things seemed kind of normal, a stark contrast to night time.

We will see if thing change if the restaurant ban (takeout only) takes effect in Pattaya.  If so, this might induce some restaurants to close completely which would benefit those that operate takeaway carts.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

i see on the thaiger news the government says it will announce no more new measures. as the curve is flattening, one feels after a week or two they may relax things a bit or there could be a lot of civil unrest. who knows a trump said enjoy easter the govt here  may say enjoy songkhran . 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

a lot of the food carts have vanished in jomtien.  For  years, all day and evening there were four in situ every day in my local 7-11 car park. chicken, fried banana , fruit some sort of thai food ...... all but one now gone. some still doing the motorbike food cart thing in Jomty...but not many...  even the thai customers have gone. There was a time until recently that riding down beach rd in the evenings was like a food cart obstacle course. 

not any more.  the only traffic is the police checking the beach.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, blind boy grunt said:

barbers? barbers? you may use a....barber..... but those like me with luxuriant locks prefer trained stylists.

I have electric clippers, at least 10 years old, which I run over my bonce usually once a week. Though I've been trimming almost every day now as I don't have much to do in lockdown.

The only time I use barbers now is when I'm in Jomtien and go to the lady barbers in Rompho.

2 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

don't want to buzz cut your pubes?

Sunny does that for me.

1 hour ago, Quietguy said:

Though I've been trimming almost every day now as I don't have much to do in lockdown.

Don't belittle yourself QG... We know that you are working at least 15 hours a day keeping us informed about the virus thing...and i for one am very grateful as i do know how hard you work on personal projects too. i rely on you now QG, without you i wouldn't have known anything about CV, so, you've done me a great favour, now i've got things to worry about, adds a bit of interest to life.. Virology is now my hobby.

but personal projects....it must have taken you days to board up the windows and doors...? .And that machine gun emplacement on your roof must have taken weeks... you be careful of the paperboy now! give him a warning shot first. Go easy with the Molotov Cocktails....

I do know that England is not so warm at the moment, so during the night watch on the roof wrap up warm QG, don't want you getting the sniffles now [god help us all!] At least 2 hazmat suits, 5 masks, 3 pairs of googles, 8 pairs of gloves, 6 condoms,.... cover them all in alcohol....you'll be snug as a bug in a rug.

and talking of which... i was talking to a BM the other day about those dodgy masks and how 7-11 won't let you in without one... Lo and behold an hour later he phoned me to say that outside his village an old lady is selling home made ones for 15 baht! result heh! my life saved by 15 baht.....i guess we may be wearing her old knickers but good enough for me!

and...this morning i went to my condo office to pay the rent, a big sign on the door saying...'no mask-no entry' so i tapped on the window....Oy! do you want your rent then?'

she came running out , glared at me, went to her car and came back with 2 free masks for me. i stuck one where it should be on the face, the other over my eyes...she wasn't amused, i don't know why...

keep safe QG. Strange days have found us.

• Like 2

Well the streets were deserted last night but with everyone leaving Pattaya there weren't many lights on tatI could see.  But there did not seem to be much post 10PM traffic that I could see.

Was on Beach Road about 7PM tonight and ladies and ladyboys were hawking their wares.  I suppose that primetime is between 7 and 8  so there is time to do the deed and get home before curfew.

On 4/3/2020 at 8:51 PM, blind boy grunt said:

barbers? barbers? you may use a....barber..... but those like me with luxuriant locks prefer trained stylists.

In protest at lock downs, air travel bans, not being able to get back to Jomty/Pattaya for at least a year, I've sworn not to cut my hair again until normal service is resumed. This unfortunately means I will be unrecognisable to the few who know me when I next return -

*woof woof*

long-haired-bearded-collie.jpg

• Like 1