State of Emergency starts at midnight tonight

Quietguy

buddy of mine lives in S. Korea now. Planned visit home town USA before all this, got here and now he's virtually stuck as legs of his return flight to SK are cancelled. I imagine quite a few are in the reverse position.  How can they seriously fine for overstay when you are almost not allowed to travel IN Thailand? Busses and flights cancelled. How many ubers would it take to make up for those?

Day One of emergency in sunny Phitsanulok today. Went to a big Tesco Lotus shopping centre in the city - temperature check at the entry; just about all the small stalls and kiosks closed up (even the True shop was closed), and in the Lotus area itself, all the homewares (fridges, TVs, etc) and all the shoe/shirt/ underwear bits were cordoned off.

Other than that the store was pretty normal, except some mongrels had bought up all the eggs - not even a cracked shell to be seen. Aah well, plenty of weet-bix, milk, bread and NZ cheese to see me through (and plenty of stuff for my other half to cook at home).

One last whinge - more than usual lazy Thais leaving the trolleys just anywhere in the car park, when there are places to park them. Three behind my car. Rant over, and I'm stocked up until next week. No road-blocks or police sighted on either trip. See how we survive the next few days, and shop again next Thursday.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, cobber32 said:

Day One of emergency in sunny Phitsanulok today. Went to a big Tesco Lotus shopping centre in the city - temperature check at the entry; just about all the small stalls and kiosks closed up (even the True shop was closed), and in the Lotus area itself, all the homewares (fridges, TVs, etc) and all the shoe/shirt/ underwear bits were cordoned off.

Other than that the store was pretty normal, except some mongrels had bought up all the eggs - not even a cracked shell to be seen. Aah well, plenty of weet-bix, milk, bread and NZ cheese to see me through (and plenty of stuff for my other half to cook at home).

One last whinge - more than usual lazy Thais leaving the trolleys just anywhere in the car park, when there are places to park them. Three behind my car. Rant over, and I'm stocked up until next week. No road-blocks or police sighted on either trip. See how we survive the next few days, and shop again next Thursday.

New Zealand cheese!!.What is the world coming to???

1 minute ago, cobber32 said:

It's the best there is, Woodie - you know that. Mainland cheese, tasty, and the Chesdale slices - they've kept me alive for a year or three.

Geez, I have not had Chesdale for many many years. Was brought up on that.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm truly impressed with Thailand and its ability to fight the Covid-19.

Only 2673 cases and 46 deaths. Very impressive.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/geographical-distribution-2019-ncov-cases

The government on Thursday reported 29 new local cases of coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19), lifting the total to 2,672, and three new deaths -- all aged under 60 -- increasing the toll to 46.

The number of recovered cases is now 1,593 -- a substantial increase of 96 over Wednesday's figures. 

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1901185/thailand-logs-29-new-covid-19-cases-3-deaths-thursday

13 foreigners arrested at the Momento Resort for drinking and socializing around the pool.  They face a 100,000 baht fine and two years in the monkey house.   Perhaps their visas will be revoked.   Momento is on Thepprasit Soi 8 which leads into Soi 17 if headed to Pattaya.  

• 2 weeks later...

The booze ban has been extended until the end of May.  It doesn't negatively affect me as I rarely drink except in bars.  I suppose the reasoning is that people are less likely to socialize without booze and wiping out CV trumps a man's right to drink.  But I suppose if people are only getting 5000 a month there isn't much money leftover in the budget for beer.  In addition to the 5 grand, Thais can get 100 minutes of free phone calls on all major carriers by dialing *170*&&&&&&&&&&&&&#. with the &&&&&&&&&&&&& representing one's 13 digit Thai ID number.

Americans would be going nuts if they weren't allowed to drink at home.  How about in your country?  Would it cause rioting in the streets?  Would people be fighting for their right to party?

In UK when the lockdown restrictions were announced the Government said that those who had to stay at home were only allowed to go out for exercise, medication or essential (food) supplies. One overzealous police officer tweeted that people's shopping could be searched for 'non-essential' items like alcohol and cigarettes.

There was an outcry about that and the Government advice was clarified to say that if people went out to buy food they could also purchase anything else that was sold on that premises.

Off licenses which only sell alcohol and alcohol related stuff like mixers are shut, but you can buy alcohol in shops or supermarkets that sell food.

So if I go out to buy some alcohol I buy some food items too.

37 minutes ago, Quietguy said:

Oy! bbg is going to tell you off for posting links to news articles!

And for taking my job! 

yup! i'm getting a bit concerned about Quinn!

but no offence QG,  half of the stuff you post isn't news... it's just dodgy newspaper filler bullshit. don't need it... genuine updates okay if they are accurate and official and not just from some dick who wants to get his name in the papers with fake news and conjecture. Or a made up load of crap about some bar girl missing her boyfriend in England.. that was an insult [not by you, by the paper] to all the people here that are really struggling because of this lockdown stupidity. How the hell the powers that be can make up rules to cause hunger and unemployment to the populace amazes me. If i had the money and could get there... tomorrow, Sweden here i come.

at least with links the choice is there to click on them or not, but the way that you do it, the choice isn't there,  it stares you in the face. 

A couple of coronavirus/alcohol ban related articles from today's Pattaya Mail. I'll only post the links in deference to DC and bbg (but if they don't work I might have to post screenshots of the reports! :biggrin:).

https://www.pattayamail.com/coronavirus/with-no-beer-in-pattaya-german-faces-ugly-prospect-of-drinking-water-297787

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/thailand-will-lift-alcohol-sales-ban-on-sunday-may-3-297814

edit: links do work, so saves me doing screenshots!

36 minutes ago, Quietguy said:

A couple of coronavirus/alcohol ban related articles from today's Pattaya Mail. I'll only post the links in deference to DC and bbg (but if they don't work I might have to post screenshots of the reports! :biggrin:).

oh, don't panic about me QG...  i understand what you said somewhere about others in the world may be interested in what's happening here, but as i said, loads of what you post is just inaccurate crap from dodgy newspaper websites. Thaivisa should be shut down! everything is invented just to keep their moaning groaners happy and contentedly posting rubbish. Any day soon they'll be blaming Covid on ladyboys.

but me and DC and others we live here, living through all this shit.. we know what's going down, don't need to be told really, all very boring... Surely people should be more concerned what's happening where they are me thinks? great for me though that you do links now..i can still read your posts and just ignore the links same as i've ignored all newspaper stuff for the last 20 years.

You shouldn't worry too much QG... get yourself out if you can and buy a new camera...........

High five DC...High five!!

7 minutes ago, blind boy grunt said:

me and DC and others we live here, living through all this shit.. we know what's going down, don't need to be told really, all very boring... Surely people should be more concerned what's happening where they are me thinks? 

bbg I am more concerned about what's happening where I live, but this forum is mainly about what is happening in los, and we are interested in that too. 

Those of us who don't live there hear little or nothing about what is happening in Thailand in our media.

ps I only recently learned how to do screenshots and edit them, so I might have got a bit carried away! If I work out how to do copy & paste I might have to practice that too! :biggrin:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quietguy said:

bbg I am more concerned about what's happening where I live, but this forum is mainly about what is happening in los, and we are interested in that too. 

Those of us who don't live there hear little or nothing about what is happening in Thailand in our media.

ps I only recently learned how to do screenshots and edit them, so I might have got a bit carried away! If I work out how to do copy & paste I might have to practice that too! :biggrin:

oh god!.....

copy and paste same as you do the you tube stuff QG... highlight what you want to copy.. by holding  the left mouse key and scrolling over the text to be copied. right click copy... move to where you want the paste to go. , right click... paste 

remember though only to copy once as only the last thing to be copied is saved for pasting..

we don't want to accidentally see your last love letter to sunny.......