A Walk Around Town

Pdoggg

Wanted to stretch my legs a bit so had a wall around town.  I suppose that self isolating with only food delivery is the absolute safest but I would think that a walkabout without interacting with people is safer than eating at a restaurant.

I didn't wear a mask but I wore cheap gloves.   I was the only person walking wearing gloves although a couple of motobike taxi guys had a different sort of glove on.   I did get quite a few look at the crazy farang stares from people wearing masks.  Not too many farang were wearing masks; more Thais but much less than 50%.   

The gloves were big enough but hot and uncomfortable.  But wearing them is a reminder not to touch my face.  I did wipe the sweat off my forehead with my shirt sleeve.  But gloves are a problem as far as reaching into my pocket to pay for an item or to use my phone.  I am thinking that perhaps wearing just one glove might be better.

2nd Road was quiet. It was very easy to cross the street and it is almost never easy.  On Soi Honey Retox was open but there was a sign that one must order food if going in there.   The massage joints were more or less closed but I could get a massage if I had wanted albeit with a limited choice of ladies.  On Chaiyapoon, the English Rose had a sign saying alcohol not being served.

On Buakhao, the Tin Cup place is closed until April 5th they are doing some sort of renovations.  Kateseree was open but not serving booze.   Cheap Charlies had just one customer but it could have been partially due to the time of day; too early for dinner and too late for breakfast or lunch.  The little bar next to me was open and discreetly serving beer without bins.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

On Soi Honey Retox was open but there was a sign that one must order food if going in there.

It seems ordering food is a common theme as far as staying open. From Hemingways in Jomtien. Their pub quiz is cancelled.

We are currently operating under our restaurant licence, therefore you must order food if you would like to have an alcoholic beverage.

I went for a walk at 12.30 am this morning from soi 6 to walking st , across to soi vc then back to the shop , many people on the beach and more than the usual number of girls out .There were quite a few lady boys from different bars along the beach front , I wonder if they think it's a step down from doing bar work .

Laser disco was open but only for shisa smoking and drinking,  the cops did come for a payment then left . It good to know money still works 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, stoolpusher said:

shisa smoking

I guess that falls somewhere between rimming and kissing on the dangerous activity scale. 

Although I guess while any activity has some risk, I would think that walking outside would have to be on the very low end of the scale.  

34 minutes ago, Quinn said:

Police shut down Coconut Bar Jomtien. Open only from 6 am till 8 pm. Curfew coming soon. ?

Do you mean the Jomtien Beach Road promenade or the beach itself?

IMO, you want to keep people from congregating without proper social distance but stretching one's legs is a good idea.   

2 minutes ago, Quinn said:

Both !

I just got back from Pattaya Beach Road.  It's a nice walk with lots of social distancing.  In the beginning of my walk it felt like a ghostown as it was so easy to cross 2nd Road. 

There were girls out and even saw a bunch that I know.   But maybe something changed from last night when Stooolie went because I wouldn't use the phrase "usual number of girls".  But I only walked from Soi 11 to Walking Street and part of that area is just dirt. There were more substantially more girls on the city side than the beach side of the road.

I wore a mask and one glove.   Next time may skip the mask as I wasn't talking to anyone except one extremely brief conversation.  But the mask makes it easier not to have to reply to the girls who try to engage you into conversation.  Not sure if I needed the glove except for the doorknobs and elevator buttons in my building.  

Curfew?   I guess the advantage of a curfew is that people won't be socializing at restaurants. The disadvantage is that people who like to walk all have to it at the same time which decreases social distancing.  I walked into Pattaya Beer Garden and there actually seemed to be more customers than earlier in the month.

As with barebacking, there are strong feelings about whether one should be outside except for absolutely essential reasons.   Should people be permitted to eat at restaurants?  Except for the beer garden it seemed the people were using restaurants as an excuse for just gathering.  A couple guys on 13/1 were shooting pool.  A ladyboy was outside the closed Hunny Bunny obviously looking for business.  Should guys be engaging with sex workers during CV times?  Guess there are strong feelings about this.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pdoggg said:

Next time may skip the mask as I wasn't talking to anyone except one extremely brief conversation.  But the mask makes it easier not to have to reply to the girls who try to engage you into conversation.  Not sure if I needed the glove except for the doorknobs and elevator buttons in my building.  

I used to see many Pinays wearing face masks- pulled down to their chin, LOL. They put one on, then pull it down for some reason and never bother to reposition it over their mouth and nose. More of a fashion statement.

About 10 years ago I stopped touching door knobs, hand rails, etc. as much as possible. Seems to help me to not catch common colds. 

I'm sure the sex workers are hurting for customers, but desperate people will do desperate things (theft/ scam reference) 

I'm happy to be back in the USA. After this virus thing subsides, I'll be happy to be on the road again.

1 hour ago, Pdoggg said:

I wore a mask and one glove.   Next time may skip the mask as I wasn't talking to anyone except one extremely brief conversation.  But the mask makes it easier not to have to reply to the girls who try to engage you into conversation.  Not sure if I needed the glove except for the doorknobs and elevator buttons in my building.

Getting you Michael Jackson on with one glove? :biggrin: For me a mask makes it easier to remember to not touch my face. Gloves do no good if you are touching your face.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, lance2546 said:

I used to see many Pinays wearing face masks- pulled down to their chin, LOL. They put one on, then pull it down for some reason and never bother to reposition it over their mouth and nose. More of a fashion statement.

On my flight home from Thailand the people next to me wore their masks. When food was served they pull the mask up to the forehead and hair, only to pull it down again after finished eating. Brilliant!

6 minutes ago, xyzzy said:

Gloves do no good if you are touching your face.

I'm styling like Jax!  

I'm experimenting.   When I had two gloves on I'm pretty sure that I didn't touch my face once yesterday.  But it's getting hot out and even near midnight I need to wipe my forehead with my sleeve.  Then at times I wanted to bring the mask down when there were no people around and I would do so with my ungloved hand.  I know what I'm doing is not perfect but just trying to tilt the odds a bit in my favor.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, duke007 said:

:laugh:

On a lighter note, but not really, I talked to a couple of Pattaya ladymen on Line.

One said "corona is scared of alcohol so I drink all time now".

The other one said: "No have corona in Pattaya, only Bkk".

• Like 2

Took another stroll around town tonight.  It wasn't nearly as busy as last night.  I did go out about 75 minutes later so that was a factor.   But I think the police are cracking down on open establishments and many farangs are getting out of Dodge because there may not be any horses to take them if they don't leave now.

There were still a bunch of ladies and ladyboys loitering on Beach Road, mostly the city side of the street.  

Walking Street was completely deserted at 1AM only a couple of convenience stores open.  Was strange walking up a dark, desolate Soi Diamond past KRU and the Windmill.   There were only two baht busses at the Jomtien baht bus queue.

Wanted to get out tonight one last time in case there is a curfew tomorrow.

• Like 2

On 3/23/2020 at 2:37 PM, seven said:

Very good question. I hope rxpharm can give his opinion on this.

were I there, of course there is the shower before, I would still happily suck their cock and swallow, but NO kissing :P

Really the worse aspect of this is that in general there is sub standard cleaning in public venues.  I mean how many times have you been eating and looked at the plate and flatware and wondered when the last time it got proper soap? Rooms? I'm guessing rarely mopped with soap, almost never with bleach added. Same with the bathrooms, tho those are more likely to get the soap.

Was hanging out at my friend's place the other night with lots of social distancing between us.   The walk home at 3AM (we are both late risers) was desolate.  A few mototaxi guys and a few patrons at Kiss on 2nd Road and Soi Diana were about the only people out. 

I'm noticing more soidogs than usual.  Probably because the soi dog population has remained stable while there are 95% or more less people outside in the wee hours now.  I sense the soidogs are more emboldened they sense the soi belongs to them rather than people. 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 1:13 AM, seven said:

On a lighter note, but not really, I talked to a couple of Pattaya ladymen on Line.

One said "corona is scared of alcohol so I drink all time now".

The other one said: "No have corona in Pattaya, only Bkk".

Some people in my country are talking like that too , obviously without the BKK or Pattaya references .

People are sending me WhatsApp messages telling me hot drinks and alcohol kill it which is handy having two cures and one for teetotallers .

Thais seem petrified of the virus with virtually everyone walking around with a mask on , but to be fair they do like a good mask at the best of times .

Still plenty riding motorbikes  at breakneck speed with no helmets on but a mask on their face now :biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quietguy said:

No curfew then?

No curfew.

I took a walk this afternoon.  The Centara's swimming pool is still open although the majority of pools are closed.   The Hideaway is closed but a little restaurant on my soi has people bunched together closely.    Supposedly restaurants are only supposed to be open for takeout.  

But even takeout has risks.  Ironically the safest food might be pre-packaged microwaveable food or Mama noodles since the insides would have been last touched awhile ago. 

• Like 1