LBR and Coronavirus

bumblebee

1 minute ago, Ashoka said:

My ladyboy is telling me, youtube tv shows are showing, anyone coming into Thailand is being quarantined for 14 days.

Thailand has banned all incoming passenger air and ground travel except for Thais repatriating until the end of June. What the Youtube and the TV shows are showing are that any Thais or exemptions to incoming flight restrictions, anyone coming in right now by air or ground, and until further notice until the end of June has to serve a 14 day quarantine. They will be making another reassessment around mid June and we'll find out more details for the future.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
17 hours ago, JustSumGai said:

Good idea, but many people don't have smartphones so wouldn't be able to have an app to show we have had vaccine. I don't have a smartphone, it's not worth me having one when they cost hundreds of pounds and I rarely make a phone call. My old dumbphone is all I need for my occasional text messages. 

From what I have been reading online the Thai authorities are also considering that any incoming visitors will have to have a Thai tracing app installed on their smartphones, which will exclude me.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Quietguy said:

My old dumbphone is all I need for my occasional text messages. 

I resisted getting a smartfone for quite awhile.  But a new, low end Samsung can be had at TukCom for just 3000 baht.  No need for bells and whistles.  Perhaps you can trade in your old 8 track player!  :sign0184: :biggrin:

Lots of reasons why it is good to have one.  The majority of ladyboys and mongers now communicate via the Line app.  Ladyboys may not like paying for calls and texts as they can call and text on Line for free.  If it is pissing down cats and dogs you can take Bolt which is cheap as chips.  You might want to order takeout from Thai Friendly.  You might want to take the occasional pic. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I did actually buy a 'BLU' smartphone for £50 about four years ago when I thought my dumbphone was due to expire. I could just about use it to make calls and texts. But it has limited ability for downloading apps, and it didn't work in Thailand.

Another reason I didn't get a smartphone is because I thought it was necessary to also get a monthly usage payment plan which I think is around £20-25 per month. I have Pay as You Go on my dumbphone and I use less than £10 a year. I did get a Pay as You Go sim for the BLU phone which has £5 of credit on it, which I have not used.

My dumbphone is still going strong. If it does become necessary to have a smartphone to travel abroad I will probably look into getting a cheap one which can download the necessary apps.

14 minutes ago, Quietguy said:

it didn't work in Thailand.

Another reason I didn't get a smartphone is because I thought it was necessary to also get a monthly usage payment plan which I think is around £20-25 per month.

Best to buy your phone for Thailand in Thailand.   If you only use wifi such as is provided at your lodging or most bars then you don't need a data plan.  You can still make calls on a pay as you go basis. 

A data plan is an add on to your AIS pay as as u go and for around 200 baht a month, no contract, can end at any time.  You would get around 1 or 2 GB of data which is sufficient for Bolt, Line, email etc but streaming movies or even watching lots of Youtube would eat into your data.  If you don't have a data plan then best to never let the phone use data unless it is a real emergency and just use the wifi provided by bars, restaurants, and condos.

7 hours ago, Quietguy said:

If it does become necessary to have a smartphone to travel abroad I will probably look into getting a cheap one which can download the necessary apps.

I thought we were already there. I'm surprised you are using the world wide web.

I got my first smartphone , the first iPhone, January 2008 in Phuket. Never looked back.

I now have everything on it. Instead of a credit card I just blip the phone at the cashier (Apple Pay). I book my health appointments, pay bills, pay for parking, order pharmacy supplies even prescript drugs. You have to have a bank-ID to log into basically everything you do. I never handle filthy cash notes.  If you have the slightest paranoia for surveillance you're fuct.  

€7/month plan unlimited calls and sms, 4GB data. Worth every penny imo.

I can honestly not understand life pre-smartphones and I'm no spring chicken. One thing I hate is video calls/facetime, zoom or whatever apps. The few ladymen I'm in touch with always use Line video calls or send texts as soundbites using a translator.

I'm telling ya lads, this new thing internet is the future. WWW.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, seven said:

....  If you have the slightest paranoia for surveillance you're fuct.  

€7/month plan unlimited calls and sms, 4GB data. Worth every penny imo.

I can honestly not understand life pre-smartphones and I'm no spring chicken. One thing I hate is video calls/facetime, zoom or whatever apps. The few ladymen I'm in touch with always use Line video calls or send texts as soundbites using a translator.

I'm telling ya lads, this new thing internet is the future. WWW.

Not for surveillance but for snatching and/or hacking. 

However, altghough I am not as a fan as you, I also believe that anyone not using a smartphone becomes socially disabled nowadays. 10 years ago, I asked a waitress to help me with a phone book. She pulled a smartphone from her pocket and opened the yellow pages.  I just decided : "I need this !". I studied about the budget and costs and I started with a Samsung Galaxy. Then I upgraded twice or thrice.

No offense, Quietguy, but I just don't understand how you can make it. One day, a ladyboy taught me about Line. Then I added Viber, Whatsapp Wechat and other messenger Apps. I noticed that websites that we use with MS Internet Explorer or Google Chrome can be used as Apps in Android. 3 years ago, I made a TR showing how I could find ladyboys in alkmost any Thai city just using Wechat and Thaifriendly App. No offense Quietguy, but not being able to use smartphones make you spend a lot of money during your trips. 

(2 years ago, as I was in a bus traveling along the Chinese frontier, I wrote a long post dealing with monger2.0 and monger4G. Many of us believe that we or they are mongers2.0 since we chat in invision or phpBB forums but forums are just a hall before reaching bars where they actually meet ladyboys. I noticed that real mongers2.0 don't need bars. Internet is enough but internet2.0 isn't enough. Real developments are in 4G and soon in 5G. many of us believe that ladyboys are retarded since they seldom use forums like ours. They just use other media with their smartphones that are messengers and discussion groups, discussion places that no one can find searching them with Google). 

After one year of pandemic only 20 % of our populations use Apps against covid. If 80 % of us did, it could have been very efficient to stop it. It's a little bit late now. 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 3:39 PM, Quietguy said:

I don't have a smartphone, 

don't worry QG... you are not alone!

i confess though that i have one but don't use it for anything anymore other than calls and messages...wouldn't know or want to know how to use the net on it. Android is a nightmare as far as i'm concerned. only bought it when i lived in a condo and the wi-fi was crap... used it as a hotspot connection.

pretty soon now it may join a previous one that someone gave me [i can only assume that they didn't like me] somewhere in Jomtien Bay.

no offense PG because i do understand what you are saying, but if being socially abled is having a smartphone. i'll be Mr lone wolf. facebook, TF etc etc..leave me cold.

got to be more to life than all that.  

:yes:

On 3/15/2021 at 10:02 AM, Pdoggg said:

Best to buy your phone for Thailand in Thailand.

If i need one to show vaccinations before being allowed to board plane it means I would have to buy one in UK. Also from what I've read about Thai Government's proposed restrictions, incoming visitors will have to download a Thai Track&Trace app before arrival. 

On 3/15/2021 at 9:12 AM, Pdoggg said:

Lots of reasons why it is good to have one.  The majority of ladyboys and mongers now communicate via the Line app.  Ladyboys may not like paying for calls and texts as they can call and text on Line for free.  If it is pissing down cats and dogs you can take Bolt which is cheap as chips.  You might want to order takeout from Thai Friendly.  

12 hours ago, P&G said:

No offense, Quietguy, but I just don't understand how you can make it. One day, a ladyboy taught me about Line. Then I added Viber, Whatsapp Wechat and other messenger Apps. I noticed that websites that we use with MS Internet Explorer or Google Chrome can be used as Apps in Android. 3 years ago, I made a TR showing how I could find ladyboys in alkmost any Thai city just using Wechat and Thaifriendly App. No offense Quietguy, but not being able to use smartphones make you spend a lot of money during your trips. 

I don't use Thai Friendly, Line or any of those apps. I prefer to go to bars (I like a drink) and meet the lbs in person. I don't think you can judge how you are going to get on with the lb from a pic, which is almost always photoshopped, and some lines of text or online chat.

I pick girls by how I get on with them in person. It did lead to some mistakes when I barfined a lb after too many drinks. But I have learned from my mistakes and don't barfine on first meeting, but get to know them. 

But I understand it works for you guys, just not for me.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, seven said:

I thought we were already there. I'm surprised you are using the world wide web.

I now have everything on it. Instead of a credit card I just blip the phone at the cashier (Apple Pay). I book my health appointments, pay bills, pay for parking, order pharmacy supplies even prescript drugs. You have to have a bank-ID to log into basically everything you do. I never handle filthy cash notes.    

I don't need a smartphone for all that. I can do it on pc. I don't use cash either in UK, anything not bought online is paid for by contactless credit card.

The only place I use cash is in Thailand.

57 minutes ago, Quietguy said:

I don't need a smartphone for all that. I can do it on pc. I don't use cash either in UK, anything not bought online is paid for by contactless credit card.

How do you book a doctors appointment?  I haven't been to Engerland in ages.

1 hour ago, Quietguy said:

I don't use Thai Friendly, Line or any of those apps. I prefer to go to bars (I like a drink) and meet the lbs in person. I don't think you can judge how you are going to get on with the lb from a pic

I agree about Thai Friendly which I have never used to find a girl.  A short chat in-person even if it is only 10 seconds on Beach Road is superior for me that TF, Tinder, Grinder etc.  

I held longer than 95% of farang before getting a smartfone.  But perhaps the main reason you have never used Line in Thailand is because you have never had Line in Thailand.   But I would say that 75% of farang and 95% of ladyboys prefer using Line rather than eating away at their baht balance by using AIS, True, or DTAC.

Many years ago, people started to get pissed at me because I didn't have an answering machine.  I preferred not having an answering machine.  I guess what I am saying is that for a 3000 baht one time investment, the phone can come in handy even though there is no pressing need for one.

54 minutes ago, seven said:

How do you book a doctors appointment?  I haven't been to Engerland in ages.

GP surgeries have online access now. I can book an appointment (not now because of covid, I would have to phone GP and he/she would do a telephone assessment and see me in person if thought necessary), order repeat prescriptions to be collected from pharmacy, and view my medical records including any test results online.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Quietguy said:

GP surgeries have online access now.

You can use a smartphone for that :)

To be honest I do call sometimes for different appointments. Just saying that smartphones have made life easier. I cant think of anyone whos been skeptical and tried complained. Maybe Jimbo.

50 minutes ago, Pdoggg said:

I guess what I am saying is that for a 3000 baht one time investment, the phone can come in handy even though there is no pressing need for one.

On 3/15/2021 at 9:12 AM, Pdoggg said:

a new, low end Samsung can be had at TukCom for just 3000 baht.

3000 baht is about £72 sterling.

I just googled cheap Samsung smartphone and it seems that a new Samsung A10 or A20 costs around £130 - £175 here.

I will look into getting one when it becomes clear that I will need one to show 'fit to travel' app.

13 minutes ago, Quietguy said:

Yes but I can't buy one in Thailand unless I can get there. Catch 22!

Yes, Major Major!  :biggrin:

Someone, not me, may know what will work. It has something to do with Triband or Quadband.  Wrong one may not work in Thailand or with a Thai Sim.  Also someone, again not me, may know about how using a foreign Sim will cost you big bucks.  Most guys who use their foreign Sims in Thailand have 2 phones, one for Thailand and one for work back home.

Also if you buy a phone in England you want a pay as you go so it it doesn't have to get unlocked here.  You won't be using it at home anyway.

The biggest change in Thailand since I started coming her ewith the possible exception of Covid is tat all teh girls have smartphones.  In the old days, barowners would do their best to stop girls from giving out their numbers in bars. 

Smartphones are like going from oil lamps to electricity.

On my first trip to Cambodia in 2011,  i discovered that the rest of world outside USA had two sim card smart phones, ie two phone lines on one phone.  I had always had to have two cell phones before...one for straight life and one for chasing ladyboy life.  Now one phone can do the trick, although in all candor I still maintain two smart phones with completely separate email/gmail registrations so there is no accidental overlap of my two conflicting worlds.

Really wouldn't want this picture accidentally getting sent to my ex wife when we are having a heated discussion about why I need to pay more alimony

•  

to my ex-wife when we are having a heated discussion about why i need to pay more alimony.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Pdoggg said:

Most guys who use their foreign Sims in Thailand have 2 phones, one for Thailand and one for work back home.

I don't think I would need one in Thailand. I use baht bus or motorbike taxis not Grab or Uber - yes I know Grab is cheap.

I don't need to phone lbs when I am in los, and I don't want them to be able to phone me! I bought a cheap dumbphone in Pattaya on a trip about eight years ago and made the mistake of giving the number to a lb. I ditched her after she rang me claiming her room had been broken into and her camera (she said she was a photographic student) and other stuff had been stolen. She was obviously after money. I got abuse from her when I next saw her in a bar. That was the only time I used that phone. I still have it. The money on it must have expired but I guess I could put some more on if I needed a phone in los.