An Englishman in the Soviet Union

duke007

Due to an unscheduled 'holiday' break (i.e. no football work) due to Covid-19 and now with plenty of time on my hands, I enjoy watching YouTube Vloggers who Travel the World and came across this particular Englishman (who seems to speak Fluent Russian) on his travels, these Vlogs start from 12 months ago, from the few viewed thus far are very enjoyable imho :good:

• Like 2

On 3/19/2020 at 11:02 PM, duke007 said:

Baldy in Moldova :hi:

Nobody visits this country but I did. Hmm Chisinau !

Chișinău (Kishinev in Russian) should be pronounced as English words "kiss now". That was an amazing soviet type city with friendly young police officers holding a check point on the road before I entered the city. The country is full of pretty dolls (GGs) with dark hair and light brown or green eyes. If the situation is getting worse, it might be interesting to try again a trip over there, spend nights in hotels copying the Western 5 stars  hotels in the 1960s with additional concrete at every level, pimps in the office ad great deals in the rooms.

I found a copy of my visa and an old bank note. 

30115264_LeuMoldova.jpg.f660a949a6ae2bdc05df9008cac187f1.jpg                          1275454627_VisaMoldova.png.96d3f7c66d027a560d7bf0a3f9e3d224.png

• Like 1

Some of the best videos I have seen taken by someone who is not a pro. Makes a change from the stroll up Walking St. Mind you, they may become collectors items in the near future!.

Well spoken dialogue and he kept it interesting. Mind you she kept it interesting as well!!!

The visit to the sanitorium was the best.

• Like 1

I have watched quite a few of his videos now. Dont know why, his assisitant is just ordinary!.

Very well done. probably some of the best I have seen. One titled I think, "The worst fisherwoman" was very good. He has a way of coming across in a very relaxed manner. Another good one is when they take a train ride in Mauritania.

Will watch more now that I have more time.

Bald and bankrupt is his handle.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Woodie said:

Very well done. probably some of the best I have seen. One titled I think, "The worst fisherwoman" was very good. He has a way of coming across in a very relaxed manner. 

Funny you should mention that, that video is coming up next, in a day or two :good:

• Like 1

Mate, I wish you had not steered me to this stuff. I am addicted to it!!.

Every night I spend 2 or 3 hours watching it. Trouble is that the videos are not date linked. They jump from one time period to another, but never the less very entertaining.

He has some guts wandering into derelict buldings and towns with only a few people in them. As he says, it is often like a scene out of a Mad Max movie!. He is not a lover of dogs as can be seen from his reactions to them. Not that I blame him. Some look a bit unfriendly!.

The dereliction is immense.

One theme that seems to be common is that a number of the people felt is was better under the old Soviet rule. They felt more connected. It was one big country with a common goal, whatever that might have been. Capitalism, in the smaller states, does not always benefit the whole population despite what we are told.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Woodie said:

Mate, I wish you had not steered me to this stuff. I am addicted to it!!.

Same Same Woodie :biggrin:, and if someone gets the same pleasure as I do watching them then I will carry on posting these Vlogs. B)

I will also post 'bald and bankrupt's' Vlogs on India and Burma later on and ib separate threads :good:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, duke007 said:

Same Same Woodie :biggrin:, and if someone gets the same pleasure as I do watching them then I will carry on posting these Vlogs. B)

I will also post 'bald and bankrupt's' Vlogs on India and Burma later on and ib separate threads :good:

Have just watched those ones in Burma.

But the one I have just watched is something else. He meets an old guy living on his own in the area affected by the Chernobyl nuclear disaster. He made 3 videos about this guy, but this is the last one.

Well worth watching. If you think you have it tough, watch this, it might make you think again. This guy will die on his own!.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KwFEw1weqI

11 minutes ago, Woodie said:

But the one I have just watched is something else. He meets an old guy living on his own in the area affected by the Chernobyl nuclear disaster. He made 3 videos about this guy, but this is the last one.

Well worth watching. If you think you have it tough, watch this, it might make you think again. This guy will die on his own!.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KwFEw1weqI

I will be posting all of Baldy's Videos on the Soviet Union here mate :good:

The one you linked above is 12 Vlogs away on my list :wink:

That is sort of scary.

Wait until you get to his Bolivian trip and he goes up into the hills to seek out a village. Now that is madness. I don't know the motivation. Stuffed making a video for us to look at. Maybe one day we will not see him again!.