Thai Life - The markets & the people

Part I

Hua Hin

I love the street markets, the colour, the food, the clothes and the people.

So many working to keep living, many only just surviving, especially in the North and rural area.

Remember no help if you are  old or unemployed or disabled. No money, no back up and no health service (as such)

Not what we would accepted, so in Thailand, the old,  the disabled and the unemployed rely on their family and their children for support.

Many of the Ladyboys work in P4P to get money, usually for their mums and send it back to the village. Without this support many families would fall apart.

Why, I ask myself, is it so often the Ladyboy in the family who leaves homes and go to work in the sex industry. Seems, most of the daughters (though many enter P4P) get married and start a family. The boys get jobs, get married and have their own families and also their wife’s family to look after.

So it falls on the Ladyboy in the family group to help and support their mums. It is also quiet often the Ladyboy who looks after the sisters children if she has a job.

May had a brother (sadly killed on the roads in 2014) and a sister. Both married, with one child, so May the ladyboy supported mother and father.

Palmmy had a sister who left with her mother to move to the South 700km to Trang. Leaving her to look after a disabled grandmother, who finished off unable to walk. She also looked after her sister’s daughter when she left. When it was her mother’s duty to look after her own mother. It all worked well till we broke up and Palmmy went off to Pucket. Either gran died or she has been left to fend for herself.

So these photo show the markets and way of life the Thais undertake to make things work. Of course some do very well and are quiet rich, while many are poor poor and just on the breadline. Hau Hin is a reasonably well off area, it is where the Old King used to summer. It is a modern town with an older seaside original village. Well woth a visit, but take your partner with you.

Hua Hin flishing fleet

Buddha Monk at Bangkok Railway station

Fried Bugs roadside

Hau Hin Artist's Shop

rest are Hua Hin Markets

1st Class rail carriage which I had to myself with waiter service

3rd class rail carriage

I took train from Bangkok to Hau Hin wonderful journey

Hau Hin fishing fleet.jpg

A Budda seated at the Railway Station BK.jpg

Fried Cockroaches Road side stalls central Thailand.jpg

Hau Hun Artists shop.jpg

Hua Hin Market 3.jpg

Hua Hin Market 5.jpg

Hua Hin Market 7.jpg

Hua Hin Market 2.jpg

Hua Hin Market 3.jpg

Hua Hin Market 5.jpg

Hua Hin Market 8.jpg

Hua Hin Market 9.jpg

Hua Hin Market 11.jpg

Hua Hin Market 12.jpg

Hua Hin Market 13.jpg

Hua Hin Market 14.jpg

Hua Hin Market 15.jpg

Hua Hin Market 18.jpg

Hua Hin Market 19.jpg

Hua Hin Market 20.jpg

Inside 1st class compartment.jpg

inside 3rd class rail carriage resized.jpg

• Like 5

Ah Hua Hin, a favourite stomping ground of mine in the early years as many here will know.  When I eventually started going to Pattaya I found HH was a good bolt hole to hit for a week or so to balance out the madness of Patts.  Maybe that’s why I love Naklua and Jomtien so much these days, the slower pace of the nightlife suits my temperament and gets me out of Pattaya proper for a few hours.

Spot on Annat about the struggles many live with.  I know first hand from what I hear about my own in laws how much they get by from hand to mouth at times.  That’s one of the things that struck the missus when she moved here, how much the State takes care of its citizens regarding welfare.  

• Like 2