Coronavirus

seven

So will any of you professionals attend any COW-DOW in Thailand? Bali High pier might be a good option as its outdoors.

Thailand warns of spike in COVID-19 cases after "super-spreader" event

https://www.yahoo.com/news/thailand-warns-spike-covid-19-084448861.html

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thai health authorities warned on Wednesday that residents should brace themselves for a potential jump in coronavirus cases after classifying the country's first cluster of the Omicron variant as a super-spreader incident.

The Omicron cluster identified in the northeastern province of Kalasin on Christmas eve has been linked to a couple who had travelled from Belgium and visited bars, concerts and markets.

The ensuing cluster had infected hundreds, with cases spreading to 11 other provinces, said senior health official Opas Karnkawinpong, citing how one of the bars linked to the cluster had been packed and did not have good ventilation.

"During the New Year, if you visit any place and it does not look safe, just don't go," Opas told a briefing.

Well in the US its more than 400k cases a day confirmed, higher than delta ever was and people have had trouble getting tested and lots more asymptomatic so its easy to guess 1 million + cases of omicron right now.

So my graph of when it gets to Thailand, it'll go to 100k really really fast makes sense.

Hopefully it arrives fast and gives everyone antibodies who're unvaxed and we can "normalize" without it mutating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fenton said:

If the Airline states you must wear a mask during the flight, besides eating/drinking. Then that is part of T&C's.

They basically own your ass inflight, simple as that.

Any breach of this has dire consequences for the flyer.

Why make an issue of it, is beyond me TBH.

good point

Just now, The-Sith said:

good point

Of course. However the old boy without mask is a Karen as much as the playmate, imo.  This just shows the stupidity of mask mandate. You don't have to wear it while eating or drinking as if virus takes break while you eat. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ashoka said:

Well in the US its more than 400k cases a day confirmed, higher than delta ever was and people have had trouble getting tested and lots more asymptomatic so its easy to guess 1 million + cases of omicron right now.

So my graph of when it gets to Thailand, it'll go to 100k really really fast makes sense.

Hopefully it arrives fast and gives everyone antibodies who're unvaxed and we can "normalize" without it mutating.

this is my theory......

@rxpharm

please let me know what you think......

the virus came out ALREADY highly adapted to humans and was able to infect thru receptors and also attack organs at an alarming rate. The combination of it being a bit too deadly and more importantly, major undertakings to curtail the spread of the virus (wide spread mask wearing, wide spread draconian lock up and even vaccines), meant the virus was not able to spread in its aggressive form. It mutated to a weaker version and also mutated to become uber infectious....so it could rip thru the planet over the past 90 days in a way it had not been able to over the past 2 years.

If my theory is right.....then lockdowns and masks not only helped us curtail spread....but also helped force a mutation that is much easier for humans to handle (unlike the more destructive initial version).

Let's see what this puppy does next. it will be with us for decades.....so it's going to be interesting every time and we will eventually run out of Greek letters and perhaps have to start using Sanskrit or Mandarin characters. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The-Sith said:

Let's see what this puppy does next. it will be with us for decades.....so it's going to be interesting every time and we will eventually run out of Greek letters and perhaps have to start using Sanskrit or Mandarin characters.

Lets hope we don't get to Thai characters since I can't pronounce snake and rat correctly yet even though I'm part Thai on my moms side.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, seven said:

Of course. However the old boy without mask is a Karen as much as the playmate, imo.  This just shows the stupidity of mask mandate. You don't have to wear it while eating or drinking as if virus takes break while you eat. 

if it's a Playmate.... I'm focused on her tits and agree with everything they sexy bitch said.

3 hours ago, seven said:

So will any of you professionals attend any COW-DOW in Thailand? Bali High pier might be a good option as its outdoors.

Got my booster yesterday, which probably won't kick in by Cow Dow time but my second jab was only 3 months ago.

I'm staying local on that crazy night.  Am also concerned about road deaths and will probably walk to a joint that I usually drive my bike to, only a 10 minute walk.  It's open air to the street but there will probably be more people than ideal.  

Going to Bali Hai one year there was a real threat of a stampede that could have killed dozens.  Situations like that are usually OK, until it's too late.

• Like 1

It seems that understanding the difference between reduction of risk and elimination of risk seems to be a determining factor in opposition to mask wearing. Ultimately if a population doesn't comply with social distancing, self isolation and hand hygiene measures - as it interferes with their personal rights, will have higher infection rates, so a mask mandate is a tool governments and health authorities will turn to. With regard to the comment "the stupidity of the mask mandate" you have ignored the many recently published studies in favor of older or biased information to fit your personal views. Unfortunately many people have decided to go this route with the proliferation of sites that are questionable. I suppose that the hospitals that require surgical masks worn for operative procedures are also "stupid" in Sweden? What is the use of surgical staff using such masks during long operations? Would you be happy to have no masks worn during your surgical operation because your country's chief infectious disease officer made the decision that masks are not useful to stop the spread of viruses?

As I've stated many times before it is risk reduction, not risk elimination. Those who argue against risk reduction seem to me to be less concerned about society as a whole and they cannot come up with alternative proposals to reduce risk for the general population, especially for one that isn't compliant with other measures. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The-Sith said:

this is my theory......

@rxpharm

please let me know what you think......

the virus came out ALREADY highly adapted to humans and was able to infect thru receptors and also attack organs at an alarming rate. The combination of it being a bit too deadly and more importantly, major undertakings to curtail the spread of the virus (wide spread mask wearing, wide spread draconian lock up and even vaccines), meant the virus was not able to spread in its aggressive form. It mutated to a weaker version and also mutated to become uber infectious....so it could rip thru the planet over the past 90 days in a way it had not been able to over the past 2 years.

If my theory is right.....then lockdowns and masks not only helped us curtail spread....but also helped force a mutation that is much easier for humans to handle (unlike the more destructive initial version).

Interesting theory.  Sooner or later a viral pandemic would have originated with or without the possibility of human intervention of enhanced viral function. A review of what happened with the Spanish Flu is quite illuminating as there are several parallels with the current Covid 19 pandemic.

You can think of the world as a big petri dish - with about 7.9 billion individuals with varying degrees of susceptibility to viral infection. If sufficiently high enough percentage of a country's population can develop immunity from an infection (hopefully by vaccination without overloading of the health care system and multiple deaths of at risk individuals), that minimizes the chances of the virus to mutate. Those who argue against vaccine mandates do not seem to understand this, and if a virus becomes more contagious and/or lethal the percentage of the population that needs to be immune needs to increase as well. Otherwise it will continue to mutate in those who are unvaccinated and possibly enough to infect vaccinated people as we have seem with Omicron (fortunately these patients do not usually get severe illness).

In my opinion Covid 19 has become endemic like the seasonal flu, but will eventually mutate to the point where it will not impact people as severely as it has over the past 2 years.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rxpharm said:

A review of what happened with the Spanish Flu is quite illuminating as there are several parallels with the current Covid 19 pandemic.

yes the parallels are quite illuminating.

The amazing thing about the Spanish Flu is that it emerged during WWI and the first cases were US army soldiers on a US army base..... during a time when US and other waring nations were developing new weapons to end the war.

the excuse was that it ”came from a pig farm near by the Army base”. Which is really funny because jumping from pigs to humans with the virus already capable of jumping from human to human in almost unprecedented capability for something so lethal yet TOTALLY new to the human world is beyond extraordinary. I think we can say.....it's unprecedented.

And indeed the Spanish Flu helped with the ending of WW1.

Fenton is right, also before human insulin became wide spread, pork insulin was commonly used for insulin dependent diabetics who became resistant to beef insulin. Pork insulin differs from human insulin by only 1 amino acid, while beef insulin (which was most commonly used before the advent of bio-engineered human insulin) differs by 2 amino acids.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Pdoggg said:

I was wondering, if I was unknowlngly infected with Covid on Monday, would having a jab on Tuesday make things worse? 

No it would not, it might even give you a better immune response if it happens to be an Omicron variant infection, which will give you a bigger immunity boost than your (If I remember correctly) booster shot will give alone.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ashoka said:

since I can't pronounce snake and rat correctly yet even though I'm part Thai on my moms side.

I know eactly what you feel like :biggrin:  the dreaded Gnor Gnoo  which I try my best to get it as if it's generating from my nasal passage as apposed to my mouth.  :drinks:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

I was wondering, if I was unknowlngly infected with Covid on Monday, would having a jab on Tuesday make things worse? 

No. It'll help produce anti-bodies that keep it from becoming severe.

We have seen patients who're unvaxed but want the vax when they have covid in the later stages and its too late.

So go get the booster to get your ducks in a row.

• Like 1

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/omicron-infections-in-thailand-up-to-729-251-local-transmissions

Dr Supakit Sirilak, director-general of the Medical Sciences Department, has reported an update on the quickly growing number of Omicron infections in Thailand. The latest data shows 488 cases of the Omicron variant of Covid-19 brought in from abroad as well as 251 troublesome locally transmitted infections of the highly transmissible variant.

The doctor also noted that most of the community infections were also linked to overseas arrivals. The Omicron variant is now liked to cases in 33 of Thailand’s provinces.

The 739 total identified Omicron variant infections are only fully confirmed cases, ones that have gone through the whole genome sequencing testing. The totals have climbed over 200 infections in just the last 3 days since Sunday, and there may be more cases that have not yet been identified.

A Thai woman who had been working as a housekeeper in Switzerland recently returned to Thailand and her home province of Lampang before being diagnosed with the Omicron variant, the first in Lampang. She had been vaccinated with 2 doses of Pfizer in July and August and had tested negative before boarding her flight out of Switzerland on December 23.

She is said to have worn a mask throughout the flight, only removing it briefly when she ate meals. She landed on December 24 at 6 am at Suvarnabhumi Airport before moving to an alternative quarantine hotel where she took a PCR test. The test came back negative, but subsequently tested positive, and further investigation uncovered it was the Omicron variant.

While Omicron is increasing in Thailand, the overall daily Covid-19 statistics have maintained a general downward trend with less daily infections, more people recovering and being released from medical care, and low death numbers.

Today’s numbers (Thursday) indicate 3,037 new infections and 25 Covid-related deaths. 33,399 patients are still in state care and another 3,115 people have been discharged from hospitals.

SOURCE: Thai PBS World

The Dark Knight Fan Art: The Joker | Morning humor, Work humor, Funny  pictures

N95 masks if you have em guys. Be careful next 8 weeks.

If possible go stock up on eggs, bread, rice, etc.

Better to stay safe at home than in a hospital since we don't have the immune system of 20 year olds especially if you don't have vax boosters.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rxpharm said:

What is the use of surgical staff using such masks during long operations? Would you be happy to have no masks worn during your surgical operation because your country's chief infectious disease officer made the decision that masks are not useful to stop the spread of viruses?

Never did I say surgeons shouldn't wear masks during operations. They did that before covid, I believe.

On 12/31/2021 at 1:13 AM, seven said:

Never did I say surgeons shouldn't wear masks during operations. They did that before covid, I believe.

I did not say you did, but the reason why they wear masks during operations is exactly the same reason why mask mandates are proposed during pandemics. You also have not proposed any alternatives to mask mandates for populations that do not comply with social distancing/isolation/hand hygiene. While what has been done in Sweden appears to have given better results, do you truly think that can be done in the USA?

Risk reduction - is it useless to even try risk reduction and just let the virus run rampant, overwhelm the health care systems and overload essential services? I am interested to see what you think as you have asked me to answer some of your questions - give these a try. How is the vaccine uptake in Sweden, are most getting the full vaccinations and boosters, or is the thinking they were infected in the early days and are now immune? Your medical expert admitted in the early days the system was on the edge of crisis with close to 100% of ICU beds full.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rxpharm said:

Risk reduction

1 hour ago, rxpharm said:

How is the vaccine uptake in Sweden, are most getting the full vaccinations and boosters, or is the thinking they were infected in the early days and are now immune? Your medical expert admitted in the early days the system was on the edge of crisis with close to 100% of ICU beds full.

Since you asked I just checked. Vaccinated 2 doses: 81.7% , 3 doses:  27.3%.

There are like all places idiots, tinfoil hats, science deniers here. Shout about their freedom and asks what's in it for me, regarding taking the vaccine. Thats how bright they are.

Sweden was the black sheep in the beginning and admittedly fucked up elderly care homes badly.

I can still today recall our chief epidemiologist while he was being scrutinized and had to take shit from everywhere especially our scandi neighbors, his answer was ; come back in a year or two, then we'll talk.

Denmark, who went all in on lockdowns and mask mandates, had yesterday the highest number of new cases registered in the world. We're at the other end of that scale now. We have restrictions for nightclubs and large gatherings right now, maybe that could be something to consider for Thailand and other places where Omicron is rampant right now and not rely on mask wearing.

His message was and still is, herd immunity, vaccines, social distancing, avoid new contacts/crowds. Hes been asked about a million times why he never asked for a mask mandate. His answer still is that they simply don't prevent the spreading of covid. Thats good enough for me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, seven said:

His message was and still is, herd immunity, vaccines, social distancing, avoid new contacts/crowds. Hes been asked about a million times why he never asked for a mask mandate. His answer still is that they simply don't prevent the spreading of covid. Thats good enough for me.

he's the only guy that has come out of this whole mass-panic over-reacting mess with any dignity Seven.