Coronavirus

seven

1 hour ago, soiboy said:

An excellent new interview with Eric Topol from the Scripps Institute on the BA.5 variant.  (Spoiler alert - no happy ending, at least not yet.)

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2022/07/ba-5-shows-covid-is-evolving-fast-we-need-to-fight-back.html

Very good article, thanks soiboy. So what does it all boil down to? You’ve guess it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't posted much here recently but got a good reminder that COVID is still not a joke.

In just over 10 days it has killed my neighbor's mum and him and his wife aren't doing too well due to diabetes. Somedays their sugar is triple of what it was before.. usually more than double.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Another update on my neighbor. The covid caused blood sugar spike resulted an infection in his foot and that has now gone to the bone.

Surgery is needed with amputation being an option.

This fucking virus is definitely not "just the flu".

Hell its been 3 months and I still get winded easily. Still haven't gotten back to jogging 3 miles.. I can barely do about 200 meters and its mostly walks now.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Ashoka said:

Another update on my neighbor. The covid caused blood sugar spike resulted an infection in his foot and that has now gone to the bone.

Surgery is needed with amputation being an option.

This fucking virus is definitely not "just the flu".

Hell its been 3 months and I still get winded easily. Still haven't gotten back to jogging 3 miles.. I can barely do about 200 meters and its mostly walks now.

Are you followed by a doctor ? 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, just as many of us are checking on airfares to LOS in the coming months, comes the word that we should have been expecting - covid is not done with us.

Many, and I do mean MANY, new variants have been popping up over just the last couple of months.  Most seem to have at least some advantage over previous variants in eluding antibody protection from immunizations/booster and/or prior infection.  How this will play out is impossible to predict.

https://news.yahoo.com/the-next-us-covid-wave-is-coming-why-it-will-be-much-weirder-than-before-200044795.html

Again, I recommend Eric Topol's twitter feed for very up to date information on covid, variants, immunization, etc.

https://twitter.com/EricTopol?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

On a personal note, despite my best efforts at social distancing over the last two years, I somehow contracted covid early last month.  I had originally been vaccinated with the Pfizer double-dose vaccine when it came out, and several months later boosted with the Moderna booster.  Still, it was a weird experience.  It came on pretty quickly over just two or three days - lots of coughing and a very high fever that had me almost delirious.  I knew it wasn't the flu because it just felt different, mainly because I had no sinus or chest congestion at all.  Strange.  I had several at home tests sent to me previously courtesy of Uncle Sam, so I tested and sure enough I was positive.  I took paracetamol for the fever and over the counter cough medicine to blunt the coughing.  Then, in just three days, the symptoms started to noticeably go away.  I still tested positive, though, for another week as the symptoms went away completely.  After another couple of more days I tested negative.  Fortunately, no long covid.  Given that I'm still alive I'm just as glad to have finally gotten it.  Undoubtedly it was an omicron variant.  So, I'll wait the recommended three months after infection to get the new bi-valent booster (Moderna - it has more "juice" in it).

Beneficial side effects of having covid included a significantly blunted appetite (I actually lost 6 pounds), and absolutely no taste for any form of alcohol (no booze for two weeks).  Needless to say, though, I celebrated testing negative by going to a sports bar and indulging in chicken wings and beer!

• Like 2

I have an issue to have a second booster (4th injection). I'm too young to have it. They say it's restricted to people older than 60 yo. They complained that only 25 % of the people over 60 yo had it already but they don't run after medical staff to get vaccinated. 

Meanwhile, I had the monkeypox vaccine discreetly and I gonna have one for the papillomavirus soon. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bumblebee said:

Just coming out my my first known Covid dose.

I came down with it on the 16th of last Month, My symptoms were the razor blades in throat which lasted for 4 days my Doctor confirmed it was Covid and told me to just rest and take things easy and it will pass and that's exactly what it did. I as you B B was Thankful that I had the jabs as protection and also Thankful that if I had to get it I at least had plenty of time to get over it before flying out next Month. :drinks:

• Like 4

I'd had four Pfizer jabs but still got covid at beginning of July. Felt like a cold with sore throat. Not too bad perhaps because I'd had the jabs. I think it was probably the omicron variant. I took it easy, taking ibuprofen for the sore throat. Lasted about 4-5 days, but still tested positive after five days, only tested negative after ten days.

I was invited to take another booster jab three weeks ago. But when I went to vaccination centre I was advised that they were still giving Pfizer and that I should wait until the new Moderna Omicron version was available which should be in about six weeks. I got a letter yesterday again inviting me for booster, but will wait another three weeks when the new version should be in use.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, BigTel said:

My symptoms were the razor blades in throat

9 hours ago, Quietguy said:

Felt like a cold with sore throat

Yeah the sore throat was the one thing that made it stand out from a regular cold.  For a few days it felt like a big, uncomfortable lump was half blocking my swallow. 

• Like 1

I had a serious cold at the beginning of September, and it was passed on to me by my 90-year-old father. When I thought about doing a self-test, it was too late. I hadn't interrupted work and I thought it was mainly that I was tired by the end of the heat wave. Anyway, I would feel more reassured with a 4th jab. I have already had 2 jabs of Astra Zeneca and a booster from Pfizer (They say that the cocktail is very effective).
On the other hand, an argument for waiting a few more months is that Pfizer will distribute a new, more effective vaccine against the Omicron variant.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Here, governmental media say that covid remains low thanks to our high rate of vaccination. Masks are just another barrier but as efficient. 

My father (90 years old) caught covid19 in the hospital. He had stayed there for 2 weeks while I was in VN then went back home. After the weekend, he had to go back to the hospital and tests found him positive to covid 19. He stayed isolated for a week but had no symptom. This week he admitted he had his first symptom post covid : ageusia. 

• Like 2