Coronavirus

seven

Demonizing and scapegoating immigrants (who do the labor intensive and dirty jobs for poverty wages) is an old and effective tactic of dictators/demagogues. Roman emperors did it, Hitler did it, Trump did it, and other modern dictators/politicians do it. The Burmese are to Thailand what Mexicans and Central Americans are to the US.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, blind boy grunt said:

indeed QG... it was also the relevant authorities that got everyone into this mess. Quite how it has been created, tested and approved in 2 minutes is wondrous.

you put too much faith in people that happen to have letters after their name sometimes... expertise does not necessarily bring wisdom.

i recall your recent post about John Hopkins and something about how trustworthy they must be with collated covid statistics because they are a prestigious organisation when all they are doing in fact is collating dodgy statistics provided by others.

i mean if we are talking a prestigious office...what is possibly the most prestigious in the world? the presidency of the U.S? let's not mention Watergate, weapons of mass destruction then....

Johns Hopkins is one of the top hospitals in the world. This year it was ranked #6 in this survey. Feel free to Google other rankings. 

https://www.newsweek.com/best-hospitals-2020

• Like 3

On 12/20/2020 at 5:33 PM, Annat said:

so now we will see if they manage a pandemic in the country

though i note the government says it is the fault of foreign workers even though a Thai was first reported with it

wonder what will happen next

it's the fault of greedy, unscrupulous EMPLOYERS you dimwit fux.  IF they'd hired THAIS to do the work, wouldn't have happened. God knows there are more Thais motivated to take any job at this point.

privately I am snickering, oh yeah, ban the Farang, that will solve the problem.  Never mind the money they toss about.

I'm sure much more money was saved by hiring immigrant slaves. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, LbDabbler said:

Johns Hopkins is one of the top hospitals in the world. This year it was ranked #6 in this survey. Feel free to Google other rankings. 

https://www.newsweek.com/best-hospitals-2020

Sure LbD, i am well aware of that, no argument about their medical expertise, that wasn't my point. Which was if i'm understanding QGs post of some days back correctly they are now seemingly becoming synonymous with covid tracking statistics. Okay...but their medical experts, doctors etc aren't stationed around the world checking and confirming such statistics are they? they are simply accepting and collating them. Must be.

And a lot of these statistics are coming from very dodgy places. Someone explain to me how The Phillipinnes, a country of 7000 islands, with no infrastructure worth mentioning can suddenly announce that they have 5000 new covid cases a day! Same with Peru etc.

What is happening now makes me think of the Spanish Flu of 100 years back, in the way that a million plus supposedly died... figures quoted without any verification that were published and have now become accepted fact when actually no-one has a clue.

until a country has the capability to test it's whole population every day, these covid figures have to be taken with a very large pinch of salt indeed.

and that isn't obviously going to happen, so stock up on salt.

we all know covid exists, i'm not denying that, it's here and it's nasty, just like every other flu epidemic throughout history. But, with this one, so many have jumped on a bandwagon of misleading information for whatever purposes. Including sensationalism. it's all wrong.

and that is the very last time i am going to talk about Covid [maybe]... i'd rather listen to my Dolly Parton albums........ :yes:

bbg, I would take any statistics provided from developing countries with basic health facilities with a large pinch of salt too.

But we were discussing Sweden, and I would believe their stats which were the same as those quoted by the John Hopkins University.

But enjoy listening to Dolly Parton. :biggrin:

On 12/18/2020 at 8:27 AM, Quietguy said:

I expect England is likely to impose a new lockdown too after Boxing Day or in the New Year as cases are rising steeply. Might put paid to my Cuba trip in the New Year. :sad:

Well most of Southern England is in Tier 4 from 26 December for at least 2 weeks. Tier 4 seems to be much the same as lockdown except people can still go to work if they can't work from home, and can go to places of worship.

I spoke to my travel company this morning and they will cancel my Cuba holiday and give me a full refund.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, blind boy grunt said:

sorry to hear that you had to cancel QG. shame.

Thanks bbg. It is disappointing but also a relief. Cuba are now saying that incoming tourists from certain countries which have the new covid variant have to get a negative covid test certificate from a private health provider (not the NHS) less than 72 hours before departure. These cost around £150 here.

It would have been a lot of hassle for me to do that as you don't get the result emailed to you until the day after you are tested. I don't have a printer and usually get tickets, insurance documents etc printed out at my local library. But that is closed now due to covid Tier 4 restrictions, so I would have had to forward email certificate to my sister-in-law in Hertfordshire for her to print out and travelled there to collect it. All to be done in 72 hours depending on no problems.

It has been stressful trying to sort everything out and I'm glad I could get through today to get the refund so I wouldn't be worrying over the Christmas period.

Still the refund means I will have more spending money for when I can return to los. I might stay for 6 weeks instead of 4 if it is not too much extra hassle. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Quietguy said:

I will have more spending money for when I can return to los. I might stay for 6 weeks instead of 4 if it is not too much extra hassle. 

Great minds think alike :biggrin:  as the time is moving forward so is the length of my stay that I have in mind when we can get out there, at the moment I too have gone up from 4 to 6 weeks and now just thinking I may as well make it 8 :biggrin:   :drinks:.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Quietguy said:

I might stay for 6 weeks instead of 4 if it is not too much extra hassle. 

Not a hassle at all. Choice A is getting a 60 day tourist visa from the Thai Embassy/Consulate in England.   Choice B is coming in with an entry stamp and extending for 30 days in Jomtien.   Very similar price either way.

Or you can get a 60 day tourist visa in England and extend for 30 more days in Jomtien for 90 days total.  These are pre-Covid rules.  It is easy enough to get a 2 or 3 month rental extremely inexpensively, say about 15K baht a month.  

The nice thing about longer trips is you can pace yourself so you don't really spend all that much more than on a shorter trip. 

:biggrin:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pdoggg said:

Not a hassle at all. Choice A is getting a 60 day tourist visa from the Thai Embassy/Consulate in England. 

I've done that twice before, and it was straightforward enough then. I just had to submit application form with visa fee, proof of flight and accommodation booking, and visa fee with passport at London Thai Embassy, then collect passport with visa next day.

But last time I checked it had become more complicated requiring proof of 'good character' from UK Police, a letter from doctor confirming I did not have various diseases, and proof of a certain amount of funds in bank. I think they will be wanting even more documentation after the coronavirus.

11 minutes ago, Quietguy said:

requiring proof of 'good character'

Let's hope Scotland Yard doesn't have footage of your antics in the Katty Bar toilet!   :biggrin:  

The 30 day extension in Jomtien method seems better suited for you then if staying 60 days or less.  Of course who knows what the entry situ will be in a year.

10 hours ago, Quietguy said:

But last time I checked it had become more complicated requiring proof of 'good character' from UK Police, a letter from doctor confirming I did not have various diseases, and proof of a certain amount of funds in bank. I think they will be wanting even more documentation after the coronavirus.

slow down a bit QG... all has changed. for example that doctors letter about the 6 or how ever many diseases died out years ago.

don't always trust what the embassies say, don't forget that they are absolutely nothing to do with the Thai immigration and sometimes don't update the embassy websites accurately. you usually find that they add new regulations but don't remove out of date ones.

check it out well. My advice would be to look through thaivisa.com where the real experts like Ubon Joe would help  and you could pose a question asking for updates during this epidemic thing. just tell them your plans and ask for the best way to bring to fruition. things are changing. always best as a holiday maker to get the simplest visa to get into the country and extend here, never a problem. Pre covid you could as you know get the visa on arrival at swampy for 30 days and extend twice for 30 days each...but now you got the quarantine thing too.

Thai visa is the way QG.  don't for god's sake ask the pattaya Mail!

Let's hope Scotland Yard doesn't have footage of your antics in the Katty Bar toilet!   

they probably don't have PD..... but i do! why do you think that Sunny went rather quickly to Chiang Rai?

• Like 1

On 12/23/2020 at 2:29 PM, Sylvester said:

Demonizing and scapegoating immigrants (who do the labor intensive and dirty jobs for poverty wages) is an old and effective tactic of dictators/demagogues. Roman emperors did it, Hitler did it, Trump did it, and other modern dictators/politicians do it. The Burmese are to Thailand what Mexicans and Central Americans are to the US.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/12/24/anti-myanmar-hate-speech-flares-in-thailand-over-spread-of-covid

• Like 1

Yes, I have read on various outlets how thais in social media basically call to lynch and shoot illegal Myanmar immigrants.  

I have yet to meet a thai person who's not expressed racist slurs. On TF I often see "no indians".

And they call us whiteys racist...

11 hours ago, seven said:

rxpharm, Ive noticed you only post videos by asians. Why is that?

The jig is up, I am actually an agent recruited and paid for by the Chinese Communist party to subvert the members of ladyboy forums to believe that China is a benevolent peace loving country that is under continued attack by the imperialist US and its allies.

Actually the reason why I post South Korean videos about COVID 19 is that they tend to have the most succinct and clear explanations. I also follow Dr. John Campbell's Youtube Channel - he has a PhD in nursing from the UK, I've posted a couple his videos on TLF, but not here.

• Like 5