Coronavirus

seven

34 minutes ago, xyzzy said:

Is there a prediction on how effective the vaccine will be?

Not that I have read. Any prediction at this point would be guessing, besides we are a careful sort so nothing will be offered to the public too soon or uncertain. 50% is low and I doubt we'd go with that number.

We went for the Astra Zeneca vaccine, in a joint venture within the EU.  Astra Zeneca is a british/swedish company so hopefully the brits will still get their share.

There are non vaxxers here as well, usually for religious reasons like you say. Then there are some tinfoilhats  who are convinced Bill Gates, Satan and China will implement a chip in the vaccine shot. 

I'd take a vaccine but have no problems waiting for the best one, as winter in Los 2020/21 won't happen, I'm afraid.

10 hours ago, seven said:

I'd take a vaccine but have no problems waiting for the best one, as winter in Los 2020/21 won't happen, I'm afraid.

I too have written off any idea of this year and even well into mid 2021,  my idea now is atleast having my funds in place and be ready to go for a long trip late Nov 2021  should they open up once again by then for tourism. In the mean time here I have been treating myself to a couple of luxuries which normally I would not of lashed out on due to saving for the usual November trip 2020,  so it's not all bad news :biggrin:    :drinks:

• Like 3

Is Sweden's coronavirus strategy finally silencing the doubters?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/swedens-coronavirus-strategy-finally-silencing-094007372.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/09/04/swedens-coronavirus-strategy-finally-silencing-doubters/

Sweden, whose Covid-19 death rate soared above its locked-down Scandinavian neighbours at the peak of the pandemic, now has a case rate lower than those of Denmark and Norway for the first time since March.

"Sweden has gone from being one of the countries with the most infection in Europe, to one of those with the least infection in Europe, while many other countries have seen a rather dramatic increase,” Anders Tegnell, the country's state epidemiologist, said at a press conference earlier this week.

8 hours ago, BigTel said:

I too have written off any idea of this year and even well into mid 2021,  my idea now is atleast having my funds in place and be ready to go for a long trip late Nov 2021  should they open up once again by then for tourism. In the mean time here I have been treating myself to a couple of luxuries which normally I would not of lashed out on due to saving for the usual November trip 2020,  so it's not all bad news :biggrin:    :drinks:

Yes Tel, its not all doom and gloom.... all your luxuries have been fantastic purchases, one could even have you dancing on the ceiling as Lionel would say :biggrin:

I am certainly not sat at home glum faced and 'pining' for Thailand, just got back from a fabulous holiday in Turkey and I am going back for another in 4 weeks for another 12 nights (Boris permitting) during the International Football Break, got plenty of football work  this coming season plus other good stuff to keep me occupied , life is indeed not too bad isn't it amogo :good:

• Like 2

23 hours ago, seven said:

Not that I have read. Any prediction at this point would be guessing, besides we are a careful sort so nothing will be offered to the public too soon or uncertain. 50% is low and I doubt we'd go with that number.

We went for the Astra Zeneca vaccine, in a joint venture within the EU.  Astra Zeneca is a british/swedish company so hopefully the brits will still get their share.

There are non vaxxers here as well, usually for religious reasons like you say. Then there are some tinfoilhats  who are convinced Bill Gates, Satan and China will implement a chip in the vaccine shot. 

I used the worst case scenario as the doctor actually said 50-70% and was speaking generally about vaccines. I tried to find some similar info on the AstraZeneca vaccine but didn't stumble on any hard numbers. I gather that anything above 70% would be exceptionally good. 

I long ago gave up on winter 2020/2021. I'm just hoping to salvage the winter of 2021/2022. If a vaccine is 70% effective it would still be good to have some kind of therapeutic that would keep me from getting very sick if I still mange to contract the virus. Especially given the lifestyle we lead in LOS.  

• Like 2

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/09/05/leading-walking-street-business-owners-warn-of-total-collapse-of-tourism-industry-in-pattaya-if-thailand-has-no-foreign-tourists-for-another-3-6-months/

Adam Judd who wrote this article seems to have His finger on the pulse quite accurately. One of the statements my a Mr Ud somes up what I have been feeling about this whole situation.

As Mr. Ud told Associated Reporters “What good is it that I am safe from this virus that about 99% of people survive if I cannot eat and have no home and no way to take care of my family?”

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Unfortunately the US have now surpassed the black sheep that is Sweden in covid-19 deaths with 579 cases per 1 million.

Total cases  USA 191 392. Sweden 5835.

Peru, Belgium, Spain, Great Britain, Chile, Brazil and Italy still have more deaths than the US and Sweden. 

https://fee.org/articles/sweden-now-has-a-lower-covid-19-death-rate-than-the-us-here-s-why-it-matters/ 

For months, Sweden was the punching bag of the world’s media and politicians.

For foregoing a lockdown, Sweden was declared a “cautionary tale” by The New York Times. 

“Sweden is paying heavily for its decision not to lockdown,” President Trump tweeted.

“They are leading us to catastrophe,” said The Guardian in March, quoting a virus immunology researcher.

Experts and media around the world all seemed to agree, with a few notable exceptions, that lockdowns were the sound approach to the COVID-19 pandemic.

There’s been much less talk about Sweden of late. The reason, it would seem, is that Sweden’s strategy appears to have tamed the virus. While countries around the world are experiencing a resurgence of COVID-19 outbreaks, Sweden’s COVID-19 deaths have slowed to a crawl.

As a result, many nations are catching up to Sweden in per capita deaths, and some are passing it. Italy recently popped back ahead of Sweden. Chile passed the Swedes next. Then came Brazil, which surpassed Sweden in per capita deaths on Wednesday.

Finally, on Thursday, the United States joined the group. The United States currently has 578 COVID-19 deaths per million compared to Sweden’s 577 per million, according to the global statistics web site Worldometers.

#Sweden fell below Chile and Brazil in #Covid_19 deaths per capita this week. Today they pass the US. With every passing week the Swedish strategy looks stronger. The lockdowns failed.

EhFg03oXkAEm0Vz-2.jpeg

I for one am very surprised with Thailand's numbers given the numbers of Chinese bus tourists. We already know 50%+ infected are asymptomatic so something seems very off or covered up like with China showing only the numbers of those hospitalized vs truly infected.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2020 at 5:39 AM, Pdoggg said:

So what is Sweden doing right?  I reckon its not simply a matter of doing nothing.

Accepting and trying to Iive with the virus that isn't going anywhere. Symptoms are way less serious than in March/April when we peaked.

This guy to the left, Mbappe, one of worlds best players atm, was tested positive for covid 19 today. Saturday night he and  his France played us in Nations League in Stockholm. Pic from saturday night. Expelled from squad and in quarantine now.

The tattooed guy shaking his hand is Manchester Uniteds center back.  Hes going back to England after we play Portugal tomorrow ( crybaby Ronaldo is apparently here again). This is life in Europe now. Adapt and move on.  Safe to say these guys won't be let into Thailand anytime soon. 

So in this pic Mbappe had covid. Doesn't mean Lindelof will get it, though he might. Who knows.

64dd92f6-5ff0-4543-afa8-3c909b2f284e.jpeg

On 9/5/2020 at 10:41 AM, BigTel said:

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/09/05/leading-walking-street-business-owners-warn-of-total-collapse-of-tourism-industry-in-pattaya-if-thailand-has-no-foreign-tourists-for-another-3-6-months/

Adam Judd who wrote this article seems to have His finger on the pulse quite accurately. One of the statements my a Mr Ud somes up what I have been feeling about this whole situation.

As Mr. Ud told Associated Reporters “What good is it that I am safe from this virus that about 99% of people survive if I cannot eat and have no home and no way to take care of my family?”

I read a piece yesterday how devastating the consequences of lockdowns will be in the future. Poverty, unemployment, other diseases, mental issues etc. The covid casualties will be peanuts compared to whats coming unless we do something now, i e open up societies.

• Like 1

I read a piece yesterday how devastating the consequences of lockdowns will be in the future. Poverty, unemployment, other diseases, mental issues etc. The covid casualties will be peanuts compared to whats coming unless we do something now, i e open up societies.

exactly Seven. It won't be long before the 'hiding in the room' mob start Lynching anyone who happens to sneeze or give a slight cough.

• Like 1

Lockdowns and Border Closings are two different things.  Keeping the border mostly closed with a mandatory quarantine will help prevent disruptive lockdowns in Thailand.

Of course border closings hurt tourism related businessmen that have invested significant upfront money and don't want to walk away from their leases. 

I think that many Pattaya businesses will close and at some point there will be new tennants paying lower rent.

• Like 1

Meanwhile here in Wales the lockdown madness continues I am just outside  the boundries of this lockdown coming into force this evening.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54069466

Can I leave or enter Caerphilly?

Once the new rules come into force, nobody will be able to enter or leave the county borough, which covers towns such as Caerphilly, Ystrad Mynach, Blackwood, Newbridge, Rhymney and Risca, without a "reasonable excuse".

These include travelling to work if you are not able to work from home, making a compassionate visit, or to give care.

Travel for essential food and medication are also considered reasonable excuses, so people will be allowed to leave the county if travelling to a supermarket or pharmacy.

Otherwise, the county borders are effectively closed.

I guess everyone is sick and tired of this thread, but here are some more.

Moral of the story;  lockdowns will only delay the inevitable and at the same time kill people other ways than Covid-19.

Norway who implemented the strictest of lockdowns, similar to NZ, slowly opened up a few weeks ago. A wedding with around 100 attendants resulted in 24 cases last weekend. Norway is now smeared with a red flag as in stay the fuck away on our public health agency homepage , as new cases are rising.  Tables have turned, we were considered pariah a few months ago. 

Positive Covid tests in no-lockdown Sweden hit lowest rate since pandemic began

https://www.yahoo.com/news/positive-covid-tests-no-lockdown-172729216.html

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Sweden carried out a record number of new coronavirus tests last week with only 1.2% coming back positive, the health agency said on Tuesday, the lowest rate since the pandemic began at a time when countries across Europe are seeing surges in infections.

Sweden avoided a lockdown and instead emphasized personal responsibility, social distancing and good hygiene in a bid to slow rather than eradicate a disease deemed here to stay.

Whereas many countries have changing rules and lockdown restrictions, Carlson said the Swedish guidelines were designed to be easy to understand and retain for an extended period.

"There are no other tricks before there are available medical measures, primarily vaccines. The Swedish population has taken this to heart," he said.

Sweden carried out over 120,000 tests last week with just over 1,300 coming back positive, far below the 19% positive tests hit during some weeks in the spring, and now has the lowest rate of spread in Scandinavia.

"Our strategy has been consistent and sustainable. We probably have a lower risk of spread here compared to other countries," said Jonas Ludvigsson, professor of epidemiology at Karolinska Institutet, adding that Sweden likely had a higher level of immunity in the population than most countries.

"I think we benefit a lot from that now," he said.

The approach has its critics. An editorial in the Dagens Nyheter newspaper said the growing numbers lauding the Swedish strategy had forgotten the many dead.

"It seems some numbers need to be repeated. Sweden has 5,837 dead in COVID-19. A proportion five times higher than Denmark."

• Like 2

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/thaigov-sneaks-french-tourists-in-to-test-phuket-model/

A quartet of French men were indeed allowed into the kingdom on a chartered flight to pilot the proposed “Phuket Model” of reopening limited travel to the resort island, officials confirmed yesterday.

Fending off criticism, Phuket Gov. Narong Woonchiew said it was necessary to thoroughly test the protocols planned to allow a limited number of long-term tourists onto the island, where they would stay in semi-quarantine before being allowed to travel onward. Narong said the exercise would help when it comes time to implement the full program.

Set to start in October, the plan is facing possible delay due after a case of domestic transmission was found Thursday after 100 days of none detected.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2020 at 2:46 PM, seven said:

There’s been much less talk about Sweden of late. The reason, it would seem, is that Sweden’s strategy appears to have tamed the virus. While countries around the world are experiencing a resurgence of COVID-19 outbreaks, Sweden’s COVID-19 deaths have slowed to a crawl.

We did give up on that silly idea of heard immunity didn't we?

• Like 2

On 9/5/2020 at 3:41 AM, BigTel said:

I agree, the cure is worse than the disease. My hunch is that this could change as suddenly as the Berlin Wall coming down; one day no end in sight for communist rule and the next freedom. For Thailand to reopen, I think it will depend on FOMO, say Vietnam reopening, doing well and Thailand fears missing out on tourist revenue.

Greed is good :biggrin:

(Great article BigTel, thanks for sharing)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lance2546 said:

(Great article BigTel, thanks for sharing)

Thank's Lance .  I like and agree with your analogy with the Berlin Wall hence I am not planning on a trip until atleast November 2021  but if things should change I am also making sures I will have my finances in place , just in case.  :biggrin:     :drinks: