Coronavirus

seven

15 minutes ago, Ashoka said:

Meanwhile in California:

The secularisation of society is a natural evolution in educated, prosperous countries.   But there is evidence that some not too religious left leaning churchgoers now perceive occasional churchgoing as being on the wrong side of the culture war. 

This Lady and Her team may well be the one to enable our travel once again to Pattaya.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8560589/US-accused-hampering-attempts-Coronavirus-vaccine.html

She's the British woman leading the race to save the world from the coronavirus. But taking on the most urgent job on the planet is unlikely to faze this 58-year-old mother of triplets.

Sarah Gilbert is the brilliant professor of vaccinology at Oxford University whose team is leading the way in developing the first vaccine to protect against Covid-19. If successful, their achievement will surely put them in the running for a Nobel prize.

According to The Observer, she believes the United States is approaching the Covid crisis in an arbitrary  or 'willy-nilly' fashion. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigTel said:

This Lady and Her team may well be the one to enable our travel once again to Pattaya.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8560589/US-accused-hampering-attempts-Coronavirus-vaccine.html

She's the British woman leading the race to save the world from the coronavirus. But taking on the most urgent job on the planet is unlikely to faze this 58-year-old mother of triplets.

Sarah Gilbert is the brilliant professor of vaccinology at Oxford University whose team is leading the way in developing the first vaccine to protect against Covid-19. If successful, their achievement will surely put them in the running for a Nobel prize.

According to The Observer, she believes the United States is approaching the Covid crisis in an arbitrary  or 'willy-nilly' fashion. 

She may have to beat the team from the University of Queensland in Australia. They are showing positive results from their testing. I am sure other teams are getting close too. Just have to hope it is not one from the US that gets there first. That would undoubtedly lead to an escalation of costs to the consumer!.

• Like 1

Minnesota Couple Wears Nazi Face Masks To Walmart After State Mask Mandate

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/walmart-couple-wears-nazi-swastika-masks-212139883.htmll

“If you vote for (Democratic presidential candidate Joe) Biden, you’re going to be living in Nazi Germany, that's what it's going to be like,” the woman with the swastika mask said in the video as her husband loaded bags of groceries into a shopping cart.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, seven said:

Minnesota Couple Wears Nazi Face Masks To Walmart After State Mask Mandate

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/walmart-couple-wears-nazi-swastika-masks-212139883.htmll

“If you vote for (Democratic presidential candidate Joe) Biden, you’re going to be living in Nazi Germany, that's what it's going to be like,” the woman with the swastika mask said in the video as her husband loaded bags of groceries into a shopping cart.

While living in a nation whose President is the son of an actual Nazi. How did America come to this?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I guess everyone is sick and tired of all reports by now.

But heres hope:

Is Sweden’s coronavirus strategy working after all?

Earlier in the month, the number of coronavirus patients in a hospital in the capital had fallen below 100 for the first time since early March, according to The Local.

"Now we see one or two deaths a day and very few persons admitted to ICU (intensive care units)," said Jan Albert, a professor of infectious disease control at the Karolinska Institute.

"We are much better off now than we were in April," he told Euronews.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/07/28/sweden-s-coronavirus-spread-slows-but-immunity-still-a-puzzle

2 hours ago, seven said:

I guess everyone is sick and tired of all reports by now.

But heres hope:

Is Sweden’s coronavirus strategy working after all?

Earlier in the month, the number of coronavirus patients in a hospital in the capital had fallen below 100 for the first time since early March, according to The Local.

"Now we see one or two deaths a day and very few persons admitted to ICU (intensive care units)," said Jan Albert, a professor of infectious disease control at the Karolinska Institute.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/07/28/sweden-s-coronavirus-spread-slows-but-immunity-still-a-puzzle

I would say no.. the only country that has impressed me so far with their management of Covid is New Zealand.

• Like 2

meanwhile the NY Times reports...

Dubai’s flagship airline, Emirates, says it will now provide all passengers with free insurance covering medical expenses up to 150,000 euros (about $175,000), and €100 daily for a 14-day quarantine period, should a passenger be found to have the virus within 31 days of traveling on one of its flights. Should a passenger die from Covid-19, the airline will provide €1,500 toward funeral costs. To qualify, customers must book a ticket before the end of October.

should start a trend as globally travel is down 98% it's said

• Like 1

Bangkok, 29 July, 2020 – Thailand has ranked number one in the world out of 184 countries for its ongoing COVID-19 recovery effort, according to the Global COVID-19 Index (GCI).

Published on 28 July, Thailand received an index score of 82.06, putting it on top of the global chart as an example of best practices in tackling the ongoing global pandemic.

As of today, the number of confirmed cases in Thailand stood at 3,298, with 129 currently being treated, while 3,111 have recovered and 58 have died.

South Korea ranked second with a recovery index of 81.09, followed by Latvia (80.81), Malaysia (79.37), Taiwan (78.94) and New Zealand (78.55). Australia, which used to be number one in previous months, fell to seventh, with a recovery index of 77.18.

In the previous GCI ranking published on 14 June, Thailand came in second for its COVID-19 recovery work among 184 nations across the globe.

The GCI bases 70 per cent of its calculation on big data and daily analysis from 184 countries, while the other 30 per cent comes from the Global Health Security Index, an assessment of global health security in 195 countries prepared by the Johns Hopkins Centre for Health Security in the United States.

https://www.tatnews.org/2020/07/thailand-ranked-number-one-on-the-global-covid-19-recovery-index/

On 7/16/2020 at 4:39 PM, seven said:

I'm pretty sure we are reasonably on the same side of the political spectrum from reading your posts.

When I was younger,  and maybe more foolish, I was able to see the commonality in most peoples thoughts and ideas of  political nature. I agree that most of us agree on the fundamentals...that everyone should have a chance to lead a happy, healthy, and fulfilled life.  This devil, of course, is in the details, and unfortunately, it seems that during my lifetime, people can't see the forest for trees anymore, and are ready to go to war over whether the government or a private citizen owns the farm.

On 7/29/2020 at 2:02 AM, Ashoka said:

well i'm impressed Seven, but then again i always have been with the way Sweden handled things.  Believe me, if Sweden could be towed a couple of thousand miles further south into warmer climes...  i'd be living there via the first flight over. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, blind boy grunt said:

well i'm impressed Seven, but then again i always have been with the way Sweden handled things.  Believe me, if Sweden could be towed a couple of thousand miles further south into warmer climes...  i'd be living there via the first flight over. 

Thank you , BBG. This should  make your feelings even stronger.

No country for face masks: Nordics brush off mouth covers

Stockholm (AFP) - As most of the world either orders or recommends the use of face masks, with even US president Donald Trump seen wearing one, Nordic nations are the remaining holdouts.

In supermarkets, on buses, and along the streets of capitals -- such as Stockholm, Copenhagen, Oslo, Helsinki and Reykjavik -- face masks are a rare sight, worn only by a small minority, many of who are tourists.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/no-country-face-masks-nordics-brush-off-mouth-095007454.html

f35470bc0bfd2c3c4dfefc2685fc381fe897b601.jpg

7 hours ago, blind boy grunt said:

i don't believe anything.... until i see an updated graph from QG!

6 hours ago, blind boy grunt said:

Sweden didn't do so well for their over-65s bbg, so you might be better in los than there. They didn't do too well compared with their Nordic neighbours either.

They did better than England, which wasn't difficult as we had the worst death rate in Europe.

Latest graphs issued today by the UK's Office for National Statistics:

Screenshot 2020-07-30 at 16.19.13 - Edited.png

1 hour ago, Quietguy said:

They didn't do too well compared with their Nordic neighbours either.

Yeah yeah yeah, it aint over till the fat lady sings, QG. Should there be a second wave (sorry , BBG), though I doubt it will,  we'll be far more prepared than our neighbours. Outbreak at a wedding in Norway today. Panic.

And obviously you haven't read how you really cant compare us to the other nordic countries, but rather UK, Netherlands and Belgium with similar demographic population.

But nevermind, the glass over here is half full , over at yours half empty.  Cheer up QG, we'll pull through this and meet up again at Emmys someday. :)

10 hours ago, seven said:

But nevermind, the glass over here is half full , over at yours half empty.  Cheer up QG, we'll pull through this and meet up again at Emmys someday. :)

well, if you meet up with QG, Seven.... make sure you wear a Hazmat suit or he'll be yakking you!

Sweden didn't do so well for their over-65s bbg, so you might be better in los than there

.. didn't i read that Sweden admitted the failure to protect the old-folks homes? but nay matter...that is what Covid is designed to do, cull and make room. [sorry.. hard but true]...

... along with every other flu type virus in history. And there have been many...  it's just that with others there was never the mass panic we see now with covid..

i just wonder how many of these official covid figures would normally be booked under the usual suspect annual, bi-annual cold and flu virus deaths. Quite how they reach these covid definitive figures in places like South America and Africa. Even in Europe? i don't know.. does every dead person get autopsied? i think not.

i recall my sister telling me that her son, a severe asthmatic had covid....nope, he had a bad cold. however if he does die of something in the next few weeks ...he then for the record died of Covid.

South America, Africa? ... 'let's bull up the figures, try to get some American sympathy money.' ? ?

Take care boys.... wear a piece of placebo cotton over your nose...  all will be well. actually i've discovered that if you cut up a piece of your old boxer shorts with a couple of pieces of string... you know the kind of shorts i mean, with a fly-hole?... it's great for us smokers, you can drink your beer through a straw too!

there is always  a ray of light in adversity... think positive. 

:biggrin:

i hope to god i never get Covid.... QG will never shut up about it!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, blind boy grunt said:

didn't i read that Sweden admitted the failure to protect the old-folks homes?

Yes they did.

2 hours ago, Ashoka said:

Of course they are. No tests= no cases. I'd say that whole region , Russia and China have 100x the official numbers of undetected cases.

When Somchai kicks the bucket up in Nakhon Nowhere they don't do an autopsy, or when a ladyman dies from opportunistic diseases with weakened immune system caused by full blown aids , we call it pneumonia/lung pombem.

Same mechanism at work with covid-19. Deny and/or ignore it.

• Like 2