Coronavirus

seven

Big Tel is right.  There is NO logic in it.  You CAN go INSIDE, eat and drink with others in confines. You can NOT sit outside, with distance, under the sunshine, beaming it's ultra violet light down upon you all, with breezes flowing around you. Right. It's just the junta's flimsy reasoning bullshit, like saying street food in Bkk is unsafe/unhealthy. Bullshit. I have NEVER gotten sick from that stuff, not even the bagged and sitting on a table in 95 degree heat stuff. I HAVE saved a ton of money, NOT going to inside fancy high priced places that either put a ton of crap on the plate or obsess with some silly artistic displaying of tiny amounts of food (while this probably keeps amount of uneaten food they throw away  to a minimum, and this is a problem).  Plus I ENJOY sitting outside watching Bkk's crazy street life. One day I was having coffee outside the cafe and a guy on an electric unicycle sped by. WOW, I had no idea such a thing existed, but there he was zipping along in all the traffic on Sukhumvit :)

They'll keep attacking street food, pleasure places and who knows, maybe they'll go at home stays next.

• Like 1

which is how we know it's bullshit. There IS logic to attacking things you feel are not "Thai way". At least for them.  It's Thai logic :)

Maybe they'll get there way and reset the country back to the time when Pattaya, etc. were sleepy little towns filled with obedient poor people who did not cause any trouble.

5 hours ago, JustSumGai said:

which is how we know it's bullshit. There IS logic to attacking things you feel are not "Thai way". At least for them.  It's Thai logic :)

Maybe they'll get there way and reset the country back to the time when Pattaya, etc. were sleepy little towns filled with obedient poor people who did not cause any trouble.

Thai logic is way to hard to figure out at the best of times  and just the way they think of us guys , to them we are all what we would call a white collar worker particularly in the farm world ( so I have found out first hand ) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cobber32 said:

Yes, I heard this on the news tonight. I've always gone by bus from Phitsanulok to Bangkok and / or Pattaya over the last 10 years; no problems. Now my plan to go down (when things start up again) will need some reviewing. I heard it was ok to go by train to Bangkok; and flying? I'll look into both in due course, but bus has always been convenient. Aah well, one more bump in the road.

fear not Cobber... one day we will finally make it to Kiss [i mean the place not the action...]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/11/2020 at 5:25 PM, cobber32 said:

Yes, I heard this on the news tonight. I've always gone by bus from Phitsanulok to Bangkok and / or Pattaya over the last 10 years; no problems. Now my plan to go down (when things start up again) will need some reviewing. I heard it was ok to go by train to Bangkok; and flying? I'll look into both in due course, but bus has always been convenient. Aah well, one more bump in the road.

There has been a reversal now in that decision and from Monday 15 thay will no longer be implimenting this rule,  also it seems like Wat Pho has now reversed their decision and just like the bus company the temple will now be open once again to all.

Screenshot_20200612-113903_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3

Oops, rxpharm.

Thailand allows chinese to enter the kingdom now?

Beijing goes into 'wartime mode' and locks down after a spike in coronavirus cases emerge at a wholesale market

Chu Junwei, a Fengtai district official, said the area was in "wartime emergency mode" at a press briefing on Saturday. The district locked down 11 neighborhoods close to the market, which is the biggest meat and vegetable market in the capital city.

Though China has long passed its coronavirus peak, authorities in the country fear a second wave of the virus.

The first coronavirus case was reported at a seafood market in Wuhan, the capital of central China's Hubei province in December 2019. It has since infected more than 7.6 million people worldwide and caused more than 425,000 global deaths, according to John Hopkins University.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/beijing-goes-wartime-mode-locks-093035716.html

07dbc3a53263ea41d23ecbc53b1c6923.jpg

• Like 1

"But coronawise Thailand is soo different than Europe."

Its so fucked up. Greece allows swedes to visit unless you're from Stockholm. Smart, isn't it.  Norway allows Norwegians to visit Swedens biggest island only. Problem is , that island is invaded by people from Stockholm during summer,  locals escape the mayhem. Germany and France block Spain ,Norway  and Finland , but allow italians, europes own corona hot spot.

That's how intelligent this whole lockdown idea is.

Europe reopens many borders but not to Americans, Asians

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/europe-reopens-many-borders-not-113329441.html

BERLIN (AP) — Europe is taking a big step toward a new normality as many countries open borders to fellow Europeans after three months of coronavirus lockdowns — but even though Europeans love their summer vacations, it's not clear how many are ready to travel again.

Tourists from the U.S., Asia, Latin America and the Middle East will just have to wait for now. Europe is expected to start opening up to some visitors from elsewhere next month, but details remain unclear.

Germany, like France and others, is lifting remaining border checks on Monday and scrapping a requirement that arrivals must prove they have a good reason to enter. It also is easing a worldwide warning against nonessential travel to exempt European countries – except, probably, Finland, Norway and Spain, where travel restrictions remain, and Sweden, where the level of new coronavirus infections is deemed too high.

Many German regions have reimposed a quarantine requirement for arrivals from Sweden, whose virus strategy avoided a lockdown but produced a relatively high death rate.

Denmark is opening up only for tourists from Germany, Norway and Iceland — and only if they can prove that they're staying for at least six nights. Norway also is keeping shut its long border with Sweden.

“I realize this is a big disappointment. But the restrictions are based on objective criteria that are the same for everyone,” Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg said. “If we open too quickly, the infection can get out of control.”

6 hours ago, BigTel said:

To be expected yet it still hurts and makes me thankful of all the good previous trips I have had.

download.jpg

I'd say middle of next year is a good target for when to get back to LOS.

Hopefully we're done with the worrying and have a vaccine by then.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ashoka said:

I'd say middle of next year is a good target for when to get back to LOS.

Hopefully we're done with the worrying and have a vaccine by then.

That gives us a good goal and looking on the bright side can gather a bit more in funds so that when we do get back it's going to be one heck of a first night out on the town . :biggrin: :drinks:

• Like 3

good luck on a vaccine ANY time soon. Serioiusly.  I'm personally prepared to never see LOS again. The requirements even when "normal" flights in and out resume are impossible for many of us, and what amounts to cherry picking only the "BEST" of people to let in and fleece. $3000 ponyed up and THEN pay for a 2 week quarantine? fock, there goes any one month visitors (most tourists?).  In the future only the rich and people in business with Thai's will have an easy time of entry methinks.  Tho apparently it might gut the condo building juggernaut unless they make a blanket exception for the Chinese.  They've been getting ever more restrictive doing almost surgical rule changes to cut out sex tourists, backpackers and low spending types. I believe they think they can do fine without ALL that segment. The Chinese alone would more than pick up the slack.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, JustSumGai said:

good luck on a vaccine ANY time soon. Serioiusly.  I'm personally prepared to never see LOS again. The requirements even when "normal" flights in and out resume are impossible for many of us, and what amounts to cherry picking only the "BEST" of people to let in and fleece. $3000 ponyed up and THEN pay for a 2 week quarantine? fock, there goes any one month visitors (most tourists?).

You summed up how I feel and exactly how the situation is and will continue to be J S G.  I say to myself that I will be back there yet deep down I kind of realize that  may now never happen,  it's strange as I am a positive minded person yet the realist side of me actually comes through above the positive side. :drinks:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

So now I'm glad I took those last few trips. Starting around 2015 when Soi 38 became doomed with the sale of the food vendor row, to become condos, it went downhill.  I had sensed a change in the people that stayed at the hostel I called home since 2007.  Less open and friendly, becoming little cliques quickly.  One side of a famous food soi was shut down, more construction nearby...I could tell there were changes coming I would not like. I actually started going to Nana just to watch the scene as it descended into blah.  I figured it would end soon and become condos or some other upscale bullshit. The last few trips were just more of the same and worse if that's possible (that spot was perfection, a soi known for food for almost 40 yrs, a minute walk towards Sukhumvit, the Thonglor BTS station RIGHT there...a terrific hostel with rooftop garden and great view, which would be so quiet most nights you could not believe millions of humans surrounded you, in a nice area, good shops, even a hardware store or two, an interesting Woolworths 5 n 10 type store Thai style for odds and ends like coffee cups, liquor or things you might get at 7 at a higher price) and it cost me a big $9 a night. Met some really good people the first years. But now even the soi dog stationed outside the 7 looked sad and unhealthy, unlike his predecessor.

The speed of change increased. I met a ladyboy who went home to Udon and began to leave Bkk almost as soon as I got there, so I did not really see other changes right away. Bangkok was the only big city I loved, and I grew up next to NYC and lived for a short time in SF back in 79.  It will never be NEAR the same again and from what I've seen in the last few trips, it'll be worse. Thankfully I took thousands of photos. Got my fill of rice country life, at least in her tiny village, so aside from never seeing Chiang Mai or the south, like Hat Yai or others, I'm not all that sad at the state of things, it's a kick in the pants to think about doing other things, maybe going some new place (that don't take 30 hours of planes, airports and their blasted security checks, I think I went thru 3 in Narita, they did not trust the Thai's and would hit ya as you came off the plane, then again going to the boarding area I think). Even IF I did go again the only joy I'd find in those places I mentioned would be in their newness as I have not seen them before so would not be mournful of the change, but I'd KNOW. The prices would be stupid, the catering to what THEY think tourists want, etc.  I ain't gettin any younger so that long flight and the Thai immigration nightmare, with the Visa situation like shifting sands on a windy beach, who needs it. I'd pretty much figured I would not be going much more anyway. I'm just GLAD I DID, every winter save a few from 2007 to last year. I WILL miss the REAL Thai food, eaten at a wobbly table, sitting on a plastic stack chair while cars and motos whiz by.  I stopped trying to find real Thai food in the USA, it's all crap, and about ten times more expensive. I suppose I might just poke around my own country some. Maybe hit Nicaragua or some part of Mexico. Puerto Rico? Who knows, but I'm NOT holding my breath on Thailand becoming a bastion of fun in a drab gray world.  It's JOINING it.

• Like 3

On 6/11/2020 at 4:55 PM, BigTel said:

Could it be this Covid situation has given the regime the chance of a lifetime to actually close down what they see as detrimental to the image they wish to portray of Pattaya as more of a Holiday resort without the Sex elemnet .  The problem being that they are destroying it now from within.

Yesterday's Bangkok Post.                                                https://www.bangkokpost.com/travel/1937704/thailand-to-turn-away-from-mass-tourism-target-the-wealthy

The government's tourism-revival strategy is to target big spenders seeking privacy and social distancing in the Covid-19 era, rather than try to attract a large number of visitors, according to Tourism Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn.

The pandemic provides an opportunity to reset the sector, which had become reliant on Chinese groups and backpackers, he said in an interview with Bloomberg News.

Once the country’s borders are reopened and so-called travel bubbles are agreed upon, marketing efforts will be geared toward wealthier individuals who want holidays with minimal risks.

• Like 1