Coronavirus

seven

how do I put that blithering news diarrhea twat on ignore? He goes from Sweden to Iran...IRAN for fucks sake man, get a hobby.  Next he'll tell us about Timor. 

(nevermind, I found it...very good block if it can remove even quotes of his in others posts)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, seven said:

You managed to quote Swedens own Farange who takes every opportunity to criticise the government. Sad.

I know the article quoted him at the end. But the only way I could avoid that would be to post the article, cutting out the last bit.

btw I see Tegnell held a news conference yesterday clarifying some of the points in the interview.

12 hours ago, Quietguy said:

Tegnell held a news conference yesterday clarifying some of the points in the interview.

Yes, he defends our methods, but admits there have been mistakes made and there should always be a goal to improve. That seems to have been lost on the way. Unlike some who can't admit mistakes but rather blame others.

But this isn't very interesting for the bloodthirsty tabloids.

The journalists slice it the way it suits them, as always.

Again, this isn't over yet and comparing numbers day by day is useless.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I know JSG can't read my posts so I wasn't going to reply to his post which was just personal abuse, rather than an intelligent reply. But I think I should explain why I posted about coronavirus in Sweden and Iran, in a thread about coronavirus (although the clue is in the title).  

The post about Sweden was in reply to Seven's post, part of an ongoing discussion about Sweden's response to the virus.

Iran was one of the first countries to get the virus with one of the highest infection and death rates. They did control it with a lockdown, but are now experiencing what seems to be a second wave after loosening the lockdown. It is relevant to other countries which are now loosening lockdowns. Coronavirus is a pandemic. It is likely to behave in the same way regardless of countries' borders.

Frontline medical professionals and scientists in the UK are voicing concerns that there will be a second wave here, and that it is too early to ease lockdown .

Sir Jeremy Farrar, one of the UK Government's SAGE scientific advisers, is saying today that the UK should look at Texas, where cases are increasing after easing of lockdown. I won't put a link to that as it seems to upset some people!  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, seven said:

QG, you forgot to report that some scientists suggests the 2nd wave is likely a lot less potent due to the course of time and people develop antibodies. 

The glass is half full, QG. Come on!

Well that remains to be seen. The UK government seems to be counting on herd immunity now. Johnson did think that back in January/February when fears about a pandemic started after realising what was happening in Wuhan. He was saying that the UK would beat the virus because of British superiority - he was going on at a conference about how Brits were like Clark Kent coming out of a phone box as Superman, and boasting about shaking hands in a hospital. 

Then over the course of a weekend he did a U turn and called a lockdown. His previous boasts were somewhat undermined when he caught the virus. Now he seems to be under pressure from Conservative MPs and big business to re-open the economy.

Herd immunity might work, it might not. We will have to wait to see. The UK's Government strategy now is that there might be regional lockdowns in areas where the rate of infection rises above R1. 

In the UK, according to polls anyway, the majority think Johnson is not to be trusted and the Government strategy is wrong. Most people are still staying indoors, but more will have to return to work from June 15. It will take 2-3 weeks before we see if the infection and death rate rises as a result.

maybe they counting on cross- protective immunity due to the fact that we have been bombarded with the common cold etc. Look at the case of the Cruise ship Diamond Princess where only 5 of the passengers got it even though it should have struck everyone after 2 weeks

There wont be a second wave , this thing is going to burn out ( IMO) . Also Asia got the weaker strain and its appears that in Japan they are the Master race anyway according to some and so were spared its ravages... of course i might be wrong

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomcat said:

There wont be a second wave , this thing is going to burn out ( IMO) .

Thing is it doesn't start all at once when people go back to work. It takes a while and its much harder to spread in places that're wide open like Thailand and boonies.

If it does start.. it has to get to a tipping point. I'd say that number is 5000.

If 5000 people have it, it can easily spread to 20,000 who can spread it to 80,000.

But if only 400 people have it, its harder for it to spread.

I personally do think it will come back but it will come back in places which have lots of mass transporation. That's the easiest way to spread it. So there will definitely be more cases in Bangkok.. As retarded as it sounds.. taking those boats in the canals filled the smelly putrid water is safer than MRT/ BTS or any shopping mall.

But I do hope you're right.. and that people stay aware of how they can get it and don't forget about it. The biggest danger is going to be stopping people from eating bats/ pangolins, snakes and well non domesticated food.

3 hours ago, Tomcat said:

Also Asia got the weaker strain and its appears that in Japan they are the Master race anyway according to some and so were spared its ravages... of course i might be wrong

I don't think its the master race but they sure are smart:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/06/world/asia/japan-coronavirus-masks.html

33 minutes ago, seven said:

So do you really think the facemask prevents the spread?

Yes.

It prevents the infected person from sneezing/ coughing on a surface that others touch.

Its hard to believe but a sneeze can actually travel 27 feet. That's the spreader.

Now for the potential victims.. they have to be careful not to touch that stuff (usually most touched surfaces like bus/ building doors, train/ bus handles with their hands and then scratching their nose/ mouth. A mask doesn't protect 100% here but it can reduce the chances.

Basically think of it in terms of the contraceptive pill.. its only 97% effective.. not 100% but it does help prevent the spread. Similarly the mask and gloves do help but are they 100%? No.

I'm with Tomcat and seven on this, I don't believe there will be a second wave. Obviously opinion and not based on science. There will be a spike in infections as things start to return to normality, that is a given, but it will be a spike, not a massive second surge, as the doom and gloom mongers would have us believe. That spike will happen whether normality returns this week, next week, next month or next year, it is inevitable. What is also inevitable is that the longer we live under severely restricted freedoms, the harder it will be for people to overcome fear and accept normal life again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ciobha said:

I'm with Tomcat and seven on this, I don't believe there will be a second wave. Obviously opinion and not based on science. There will be a spike in infections as things start to return to normality, that is a given, but it will be a spike, not a massive second surge, as the doom and gloom mongers would have us believe. That spike will happen whether normality returns this week, next week, next month or next year, it is inevitable. What is also inevitable is that the longer we live under severely restricted freedoms, the harder it will be for people to overcome fear and accept normal life again.

Yeah hopefully we are smart enough to be smart, contain it and snuff it out.

Anythony Costello former head of WHO doubts if a second wave is coming....Karl Frisson of University London College London thinks some kind of Immune dark matter is at play . Science is a moving body of knowledge so each day sheds new light but now the prospect of a burnout is a dice roll rather than a lottery win. A study last week in  LA found a mirror immune response in a control group who never had the Virus

By July we will have some idea.....anyway now there is reasonable grounds for hope

• Upvote 1

On 6/6/2020 at 7:03 AM, globetrotter1 said:

A good article about the amazing job the lady in charge in my province of BC has done

Also from British Columbia is the Phoenix Chamber Choir.  Here they are doing the Quarantine Edition of Longest Time: