Coronavirus

seven

4 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

When you enter a 7/11 an employee takes your temperature (you don't have to bring your own KY) and there is a sanitiser.   One 7/11 employee was daydreaming and sprayed sanitiser into a lady's eyes instead of taking her temperature.

Even though I knew what was about to happen it still takes you by surprise when you actually see the young 7/11 worker spray the hand sanitizer into the Lady customer eye, good to see the staff member was not slow in helping the Lady to get some cleansing of Her eye.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

There is a list of countries from which travellers are not admitted to Thailand.  Almost every country is on the list .

No, not really.

The countries remaining on the list are: Spain, France, Germany, Switzerland, the UK, Japan, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Italy, Iran and the United States.

Belgium with the highest infections/death rates rate per capita is not on the list.

The four countries/territories removed were China, South Korea, Macau and Hong Kong.

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/05/15/thailand-removes-china-hong-kong-macau-and-south-korea-from-dangerous-disease-zones-list/

I hope the ladymen of Pattaya  will find their new customer base among those countries not on the  shit list. I bet they are thrilled about the chinese coming back again.

• Like 1

'A loaded gun:' Wet markets, wildlife trafficking pose threat for the next pandemic

Scientists believe the deadly novel coronavirus now circulating the globe likely came from bats and passed through another mammal – perhaps a pangolin, one of the most trafficked animals in the world – before jumping to humans. Chinese authorities identified an early cluster of coronavirus infections among individuals who had some connection to a seafood wet market in Wuhan, where the virus first emerged.

It has not been proved definitively that virus transmission began in that market, but scientists say such markets are hotbeds of disease. Some wet markets in China sell live poultry, fish and reptiles, as well as a range of exotic and farm-bred wild animals.

Scientists applauded the move as long overdue, but some fear it won't last – and they argue much more needs to be done to guard against future diseases that can make the animal-to-human leap. 

Experts also worry that President Donald Trump's unsupported suggestion, echoed by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, that the virus escaped from a Chinese lab – rather than emerged in a wet market – could undermine efforts to confront a dangerous and recurring source of potential disease outbreaks: wildlife trafficking. 

"It is deflecting and diverting attention from the real problem," said Peter Li, an associate professor of East Asian politics at the University of Houston-Downtown and a consultant for animal welfare groups.

"These wet markets are really perfectly conducive to spillover events, because you have so many different species coming in – you have wild species interacting with domestic species," said George Wittemyer, an associate professor of wildlife and conservation biology at Colorado State University.

"You have animals stacked on top of each other," with blood, feces and other fluids flowing from their cages, he added. "You are probably having hundreds to thousands of individual animals exposed to other species," along with humans "actively behaving in a way that's perfect for viral transmission." 

Domesticated livestock are also a major source of emerging diseases, Wittemyer said, and "you're sort of playing Russian roulette" without aggressive efforts to track new pathogens in animals.  

Experts say only a sliver of wet markets sell wildlife, and the demand for such exotic food is mostly fueled by the wealthy.  

"It's the luxury part of wildlife food trade that creates problems," said Andrew Dobson, a professor of ecology and evolutionary biology at Princeton University. 

Take, for example, pangonlins. They are small mammals covered in scales that live in Asia and Africa. In some Asian countries, the meat is considered a delicacy and pangolin scales are used in traditional Asian medicine. Pangolins are protected under international law, but they are still widely trafficked amid demand from China, Vietnam and elsewhere.

Wildlife traders "promote wild animal meat as something good for your health," Li said, pointing to unsupported claims that pangolin scales can boost fertility, among other promises. Li ridiculed the unproven aphrodisiac and disease-fighting properties of exotic meats and said wet markets are not only "hellholes" of cruelty but also of disease. 

"It is shocking to see markets selling wildlife and domesticated animals in full operation – many of which are in densely populated cities such as Jakarta, Medan and Manado – providing almost identical environments to those from which COVID-19 emerged," reads a May 12 letter from a coalition called Dog Meat Free Indonesia.

"I will be so disappointed in humanity if, after ... putting ourselves through this much pain, that we would be that short-sighted" not to address wildlife trafficking, he said. "It's a loaded gun for us, as we see."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/loaded-gun-wet-markets-wildlife-100026530.html

b8df7b50e96f30780e4aef535dc53f06.jpg

On 5/15/2020 at 3:25 AM, BigTel said:

I have a great idea for us forum Guy's we could pool resources & buy a couple of bunkers here https://www.terravivos.com/secure/vivosxpoint.htm   import our ladies and hold up until the Corona Virus departs   :biggrin:   :drinks:

ok, Big Tel I got a better idea...we pool our resources and buy controlling interest in Katty bar and guesthouse and put our favorite babes in the rooms. NOW we can "visit friend".  Maybe open bar as health check, get the girls to give alcohol massage after taking our temperature (use your imagination).

yeah Rx, that's what I'm hoping for, even with the junta being military control minded, they are likely to be guided by the big money boys.  In fact when it DOES open up might just be bargain basement prices on everything initially.  This I really gotta seriously think about planning for.  Usually I head to LoS end of November, but who knows. Wild card is domestic flights/connections I guess.  Being as how we in the USA are led by morons, it might be a long time before it gets better here, while the rest of the planet seems to be improving much faster.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases

look at US vs the rest, and chucklehead and friends want to open UP things. (that's johns hopkins university info)

• Like 1

Rx, it was with some excitement I went to that humidifier page...OH LOOK, it's like one of those menthol inhalers Thai's love to stick in their nose.  Um, no, it's a bit big.  Now I'm wondering if the airline personel or other passengers might object (SO MANY seem to just LIVE to object to things, ANY things, any things they don't know about, etc.)

gonna bookmark that tho. Might be handier to wet a bandana and use it as a mask.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JustSumGai said:

Rx, it was with some excitement I went to that humidifier page...OH LOOK, it's like one of those menthol inhalers Thai's love to stick in their nose.  Um, no, it's a bit big.  Now I'm wondering if the airline personel or other passengers might object (SO MANY seem to just LIVE to object to things, ANY things, any things they don't know about, etc.)

gonna bookmark that tho. Might be handier to wet a bandana and use it as a mask.

You can always ask the airline if it is permitted and print out their response as evidence for the cabin crew. You are right about other passengers though - I would hope most are reasonable if you give an explanation. Your seat neighbors would probably benefit too from the additional humidity.  The model I linked to is rated as one of the best as it has a filter to reduce mineral build up and has a long lasting battery. You would have to ask for bottled water from the cabin crew to fill it during flight - no tap water from the washroom as that is likely unsafe. (There's a reason why there is a notice in the washroom not to drink the tap water).

1 hour ago, JustSumGai said:

ok, Big Tel I got a better idea...we pool our resources and buy controlling interest in Katty bar and guesthouse and put our favorite babes in the rooms. NOW we can "visit friend".  Maybe open bar as health check, get the girls to give alcohol massage after taking our temperature (use your imagination).

My imagination is running wild with your idea which I must say I like a lot better than mine, JSG    :biggrin: :drinks:

and you can bring your own booze right? I mean to visit a friend. Well, they should be getting relaxed enough to stop arresting old farang couples on the beach so perhaps out door distanced drinks might get an ok? I mean that side of the street rarely gets motor traffic. Get a display of masks and hand sanitizer on the bar nice and noticeable and have at least one kitten in a nurse outfit at the door. It's a lovely idea but it seems some places get busted because nosey fucks nearby see activity and want to stop it.  But I suppose if you visit your friend by appointment, the traffic flow might be controlled.

eh, just something to while away the hours, kinda like making a to do/get done by list :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Quietguy said:

Sweden has highest number of covid deaths per million of population.

Yup, measured during a specific period of 5 days. Hardly any scientific ground given how long this has been going on and will continue to do.

Take my word for it, its not all doom and gloom here, QG. Lets compare numbers in a year or so, and I'll  bet a beer in Katty bar that Brasil and many more countries will have significantly higher numbers.

When Thailand and other countries in SE Asia actually starts testing people and present their true numbers ( like thats going to happen) you will see a completely  different diagram.

56 minutes ago, seven said:

Yup, measured during a specific period of 5 days. Hardly any scientific ground given how long this has been going on and will continue to do.

Take my word for it, its not all doom and gloom here, QG. Lets compare numbers in a year or so, and I'll  bet a beer in Katty bar that Brasil and many more countries will have significantly higher numbers.

When Thailand and other countries in SE Asia actually starts testing people and present their true numbers ( like thats going to happen) you will see a completely  different diagram.

no he won't! QG god bless him....only sees what he wants to see.... :love0029:

• Haha 1

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-world-round-brazils-daily-195258510.html

Brazil's death toll highest in world for fifth straight day

Brazil reported the highest daily Covid-19 death toll in the world on Tuesday with 1,039 people killed, the fifth straight day the country has topped the list.

Latin America's largest country, which has emerged as a new epicenter in the pandemic, has seen its daily death toll surge past that of the US, the hardest-hit country so far.

-------------------------

Heres what I mean about SE Asia:

Venezuela death toll of 10 'is absurd'

Venezuela's low case count and death toll from the coronavirus are likely false and could in fact be thousands of times higher than official figures, according to the Human Rights Watch (HRW) and Johns Hopkins University.

President Nicolas Maduro's government has reported 10 Covid-19 deaths out of 1,121 cases in a country of 30 million people, numbers a report from the HRW and Johns Hopkins calls "absurd".

"We believe the data - the statistics that the Venezuelan government give, Maduro's statistics - are absolutely absurd and are not credible," HRW director for the Americas Jose Miguel Vivanco said. The idea of so few cases and deaths "in a country where doctors don't have water to even wash their hands" and "the health system is totally collapsing" strains credibility, he said.

The true number could be closer to "at least 30,000" coronavirus deaths, according to Johns Hopkins.

-------------------------------------

Latin America has become the epicentre of the coronavirus pandemic, WHO says

The region is struggling to contain Covid-19, with limited testing and underfunded hospitals providing the virus space to spread undetected

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/latin-america-has-become-epicentre-coronavirus-pandemic-says/

bottom line, this whole covid thing would be a non issue if it had a low death rate like yer average flu. And THAT I think is what will turn things around.  It'll continue to bounce around the planet infecting more and more people, but the death rate will get lower as it goes. Medicine is, apparently, learning.  Even as the cases go  up, the deaths are almost half what they were at the high point. 

lasted a bit longer than that I believe. Was much more fatal and MUCH faster, which was good in a way as you got it one day and a few days later you were dead. Sick almost immediately, so not out and about spreading it as much as Covid. You ignore my point about lowering death rate.  IF medical science got to the point where it was say "only" 2% fatal I think things would go back to mostly same as before method of operation.  Spanish flu at 50 million or more is WAY worse than a million or so.  I can't see the point in destroying the world's economies (which in itself will cause untold deaths, no doubt) to save a relative few.

3 hours ago, seven said:

QG would surely disagree. You're better off with Boris and Cummings.

Well I don't think much of Bozo and Cummings either.

According to today's graph there isn't much difference between UK and Sweden's deaths per head of population. But UK's does seem to be declining at the moment, while Sweden's seems to be increasing. 

Screenshot 2020-05-28 at 17.49.42 - Edited.png

11 hours ago, seven said:

Heres our top dog/chief epidemiologist yesterday in central Stockholm. I still have 100%  faith in him and his department,

although QG would surely disagree. 

but Seven...QG can't disagree because your guy is a qualified 'expert'!  just like all the experts in England! the ones who are destroying the society that is.

so QG how do you explain... one expert advising one course of action and another expert   .. a different course? what's the point of listening to experts then?

and what's the use of posting graphs that quite openly state that they might not be accurate?

but anyway Seven...nice to see a photo of people actually living life.:drinks:

• Like 1