Coronavirus

seven

I feel that 6% figure is inaccurate as there are only a few countries that have 6% GDP growth. The US has been around 3.2% and Canada around 2% with no increase in death rates. The only thing that can come close to this situation is the great depression in the 30's, that lasted 10 years, and the next closest was the great 2007 financial crisis.

Here's an abstract of an article published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America October 13, 2009:

Abstract

Recent events highlight the importance of examining the impact of economic downturns on population health. The Great Depression of the 1930s was the most important economic downturn in the U.S. in the twentieth century. We used historical life expectancy and mortality data to examine associations of economic growth with population health for the period 1920–1940. We conducted descriptive analyses of trends and examined associations between annual changes in health indicators and annual changes in economic activity using correlations and regression models. Population health did not decline and indeed generally improved during the 4 years of the Great Depression, 1930–1933, with mortality decreasing for almost all ages, and life expectancy increasing by several years in males, females, whites, and nonwhites. For most age groups, mortality tended to peak during years of strong economic expansion (such as 1923, 1926, 1929, and 1936–1937). In contrast, the recessions of 1921, 1930–1933, and 1938 coincided with declines in mortality and gains in life expectancy. The only exception was suicide mortality which increased during the Great Depression, but accounted for less than 2% of deaths. Correlation and regression analyses confirmed a significant negative effect of economic expansions on health gains. The evolution of population health during the years 1920–1940 confirms the counterintuitive hypothesis that, as in other historical periods and market economies, population health tends to evolve better during recessions than in expansions.

Makes for very interesting discussion - plus we don't know if this depression will last for 10 years, if there is world wide cooperation, (however unrealistic that may seem), the recovery could be a lot less than 10 years.

There is no doubt world economies are going to fall off a cliff, but if we did nothing would that have a similar effect? All the ICU's packed, doctors, nurses, ambulance staff, police and firemen exhausted and overloaded, businesses with around 30% absenteeism due to people sick for 2-3 weeks.

The ones modeling economic disaster death and destruction don't take those possibilities into account. No, I don't advocate lockdown for several months - but there will be a way to open things up gradually without overloading the medical system and essential workers. Testing has to be part of it, and many countries are on that path, a vaccine is probably the best solution, the next thing would be an effective proven drug treatment, but those will take time. Contact tracing and isolation of actively sick, positive tested , and exposed people will have to be the most effective way forward until the vaccine and/or drug treatment comes around.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, seven said:

I'm sure you understand  the statistics depends on how you want to interpret them. In Italy for example all accounted fatalities are from hospitals, not people who died in their homes, did  they die because of  Covid or/and did they die of something else but were infected with Corona.  The numbers and stats are too unreliable yet to make any judgement calls.

I was comparing Sweden's statistics to Finland, Norway and Denmark. So what you are saying is Sweden is over reporting deaths, and also the percentage of elderly deaths, as compared to Finland, Norway and Denmark.

The reporting may not be 100% accurate, and I do hope that Sweden's choice was correct. I would be sad to see the Swedish hospitals overloaded as we've seen in France, Italy, Spain, and some US cities.

52 minutes ago, rxpharm said:

I was comparing Sweden's statistics to Finland, Norway and Denmark. So what you are saying is Sweden is over reporting deaths, and also the percentage of elderly deaths, as compared to Finland, Norway and Denmark.

52 minutes ago, rxpharm said:

The reporting may not be 100% accurate

No. You just answered your question yourself. Sweden is at least 1 week ahead of Finland and Norway, not sure about Denmark. Lets compare numbers in a week or 10 days. 

Our approach is heavily under fire, not the least from a bunch of domestic tinfoil hats who scream after tougher restrictions.  Every country needs to do what  is best for the people with two brilliant exceptions, USA and China.  I honestly don't think neither of their leaders give a shit about their citizens. I have faith in our chosen approach.

Unlike you I don't think we're in a depression, at least not yet. I agree however that we need to cooperate to beat this, but unfortunately China is doing everything but cooperate. 

This isn't  a contest. I hope and believe mankind can beat this, never mind the second wave or the next pandemic.

crikey , i thought that story was fake news buts it being taken seriously now..... gulp

On another note around 60,000 cancer patients  may die in the UK to to all the focus is on the Virus and these poor souls are forgotten.. its not just the economy its a trade off with life against life

• Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 9:59 PM, rxpharm said:

So what you are saying is Sweden is over reporting deaths, and also the percentage of elderly deaths, as compared to Finland, Norway and Denmark.

Here, rxpharm. 

Understanding how Sweden reports its coronavirus figures

Different countries report coronavirus cases and deaths in different ways, which can easily lead to confusion and makes comparing the situation complicated. Here's a look at what you need to know in order to understand how the Swedish figures are reported.

The statistics show the number of people in Sweden who have died with Covid-19. That's everyone who has died after testing positive for the virus; it doesn't mean that the virus itself was a cause of death for all these cases.

This is different from how other countries report their death tolls. Some countries such as France also include deaths from nursing homes, a change to their figures that was made on April 2nd. Other countries, including Spain, Italy and England, currently only include deaths that take place inside hospitals in the official tolls. 

https://www.thelocal.se/20200414/understanding-swedens-figures-on-the-coronavirus

17 hours ago, BigTel said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8223779/Coronavirus-originated-bungled-experiments-Wuhan-lab-bombshell-report-claims.html

Mike Pompeo demands truth from Beijing as US investigates if COVID-19 escaped from Wuhan lab during experiments and China covered it up by blaming ‘wet’ food markets.

I am convinced that the US will not forgive China.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hard1 said:

I suspect that another president in office would not be focusing so much on blaming another country until after the crisis in his own country was addressed. Remember the "Weapons of Mass Destruction?" It is a very convenient distraction to the question of why 2 months of time was wasted by many countries. If China did tell the truth another month would have been gained, and this is assuming they would have acted immediately on that information, instead of what actually happened. I am not making excuses for China, but you should note more criticism is coming now when it is clear how badly the US is dealing with the situation. Distractions are needed from the criticisms the Trump administration are facing, and the same for other countries who had a slow response.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, seven said:

Here, rxpharm. 

Understanding how Sweden reports its coronavirus figures

Different countries report coronavirus cases and deaths in different ways, which can easily lead to confusion and makes comparing the situation complicated. Here's a look at what you need to know in order to understand how the Swedish figures are reported.

The statistics show the number of people in Sweden who have died with Covid-19. That's everyone who has died after testing positive for the virus; it doesn't mean that the virus itself was a cause of death for all these cases.

This is different from how other countries report their death tolls. Some countries such as France also include deaths from nursing homes, a change to their figures that was made on April 2nd. Other countries, including Spain, Italy and England, currently only include deaths that take place inside hospitals in the official tolls. 

https://www.thelocal.se/20200414/understanding-swedens-figures-on-the-coronavirus

Thanks for that seven - although the statistics aren't translated into English, I can see enough to make out what most of them mean. I guess the proof will be if the hospital system doesn't get overwhelmed, as that is one of the biggest concerns with COVID-19.

You should check out notime2bsad Youtube videos. Chuck is an American living in Thailand and describes the process of his quarantine, and how people were getting checked on - and the kind of attitude the Thai have making this control effective even though their resources are limited

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rxpharm said:

You should check out notime2bsad Youtube videos. Chuck is an American living in Thailand and describes the process of his quarantine, and how people were getting checked on - and the kind of attitude the Thai have making this control effective even though their resources are limited

I have been subscribed to Chuck's channel for about a year now and have watched most of his and his Thai wife Paige's Vlogs, pretty informative and interesting imho. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hard1 said:

I think not only the US ,  China certainly has a lot to answer for, not the people but the CCP party every single one of them.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8226967/Dominic-Raab-warns-China-faces-hard-questions-source-coronavirus-pandemic.html

It WON'T be 'business as usual' with China after corona virus crisis is over, warns Dominc Raab as he calls for 'hard questions' for the Communist state over secrecy and spread of virus

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tomcat said:

On another note around 60,000 cancer patients  may die in the UK to to all the focus is on the Virus and these poor souls are forgotten.. its not just the economy its a trade off with life against life

Chemotherapy and immunotherapy treatments are being suspended as are ongoing checkups .

The theory is because the above treatments weaken your immune system you are more susceptible to viruses , that's some position to be in if you need treatment to have a better chance of survival .

Add to that thousands who are not getting early diagnosis with both doctors and hospitals because they can't get appointments or are avoiding hospitals .

Similar to those with heart problems or other serious illness .

The knock on effect will be terrible .     

• Like 2

read today that a doctor in Bangkok says the ICU units are all full in all the types of hospital and that as many as 200,000 people might have the virus as lots do not show symptons.

If true then it explains all the measures being taken by the Government and the Govenors

• Like 2

When reading the statistics about the number of deaths now caused by this pandemic it's easy to just get lost in the numbers then a story like this comes up and it hit me hard the actual reality of how this virus is destroying families.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8231575/Schoolboy-seven-loses-49-year-old-mother-grandmother-coronavirus.html

Schoolboy, seven, loses his mother, 49, and grandmother, 84, to corona virus as his father fights for life in hospital

Friends have raised more than £9,000 for seven-year-old schoolboy Evan Cadby

Mother Julianne Cadby died from COVID-19 at home in Cardiff on April 15 

She worked as a business manager at Cardiff and Vale University Health Board 

• Like 4