Coronavirus

seven

1 hour ago, seven said:

Same here. If we don't do away with the current system now, it will be hell to pay.

In the 14th century, once the mass death phase of the plague was over, that is exactly what the feudal elites tried to do: to reimpose their old privileges and traditions and economic logic - on a population that had just lived through the most traumatic event imaginable.

_____

If we follow the orthodox economic playbook now, just as after 2008, once the crisis is over, political elites will call for more austerity - healthcare cuts, wage cuts and tax rises for ordinary people to reduce government spending and erode the debt pile.

I don't trust the Dems or the Reps, try something new all independents ! 

• Like 1

"Everybody wants to be the biggest. But no one focuses on being the nicest. James Garetson, Tiger King.   These are trying times. Let's work on being nice to each other. So when this pandemic is over, the fight for our survival, and those we love, will not have been done in vain.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RandiUno2 said:

"Everybody wants to be the biggest. But no one focuses on being the nicest. James Garetson, Tiger King.   These are trying times. Let's work on being nice to each other. So when this pandemic is over, the fight for our survival, and those we love, will not have been done in vain.

Well said Randi!     :sign0184::drinks:

Big Brother is watching!

Facebook is launching new tools that use anonymized location data collected from users to show whether people are adhering to social distancing measures designed to stop the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus. 

The company said on Monday that its Data for Good program is developing Disease Prevention Maps, which show how people are moving around regions. Facebook hopes this data can be used alongside other information that public health officials collect to help determine areas where COVID-19 outbreaks are likely to occur.

According to Facebook, the maps include: 

Co-location data: The probability that people in one area will come into contact with each other. 
Movement range trends: This data shows at a regional level whether people are staying home. In the San Francisco Bay Area, for instance, a higher proportion population is sheltering in place in part because tech jobs allow for remote work. 
A social connectedness index: This data reveals friendships across states to show the areas where people might need more support. 
Facebook says it won’t show patterns around the movements of any specific individuals, and won’t be used to identify individuals who aren’t adhering to the social distancing or shelter-in-place guidelines. 

“We think that Facebook and the wider tech industry can continue to find innovative ways to help respond to that crisis,” said a company spokesperson. “But we don’t think the help entails compromising privacy.”

The collection of location data is opt-in, meaning Facebook users will have to choose to share it, although the company has previously warned that it can pick up information about users’ movements through other features, like check-ins. 

Facebook also said that it won’t be looking into why people in particular areas are or are not following the guidelines. A spokesperson noted that instead, the company will explore trends across populations. For instance, some states have a larger population of people who have transient jobs, or would struggle to work from home. 

1 hour ago, Cherjam said:

some of my pics from my daily walk to relieve my boredom and excercise

IMG_20200405_090238.jpg

IMG_20200406_133648.jpg

IMG_20200327_113702.jpg

IMG_20200406_142732.jpg

IMG_20200406_143134.jpg

IMG_20200406_143428.jpg

I think at this time the shots of the graveyards are a bit close to the bone. I remember walking through the graveyard at St Andrews Scotland and reading the headstones. Whole families wiped out. Some had 10 or 12 in a household!. A bit scary considering what is going on now.

• Like 1

This thread is now locked and will be hoovered.

But even beyond the lese majeste issue, we pride ourselves on being a friendly forum.  In these dark days of COVID-19 we're mostly cooped up at home, perhaps out of work, and likely to have loved ones infected.  Please let's not have extremely hostile political discussions impact the camaraderie of our band of brothers.

A new thread has been opened.   

• Like 4

I think it was Kurtz the Austrian leader who said yesterday that it is likely that no international travel will be possible without a vaccine , that may be applicable to Austria but i think this is how it will be all over. The other way is a Anti body test cert which is still a way off in the UK after all the Chinese ones UK bought are faulty .

Just hope they get this sorted by October,  

5 hours ago, Tomcat said:

I think it was Kurtz the Austrian leader who said yesterday that it is likely that no international travel will be possible without a vaccine , that may be applicable to Austria but i think this is how it will be all over.

That's my guess too TC.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8196515/The-coronavirus-facts-China-wants-world-forget.html

The coronavirus facts China wants the world to forget: Beijing releases a COVID-19 timeline - but fails to include whistle-blowers, Huanan food market and 'the order to destroy all samples'

• State news agency Xinhua published a 37-page report to show China's efforts
  • It said the timeline proved Beijing shared news timely and informed the world
  • But a MailOnline analysis discovers some crucial events were not mentioned

Sweden says Trump criticism of virus strategy 'factually wrong

https://news.yahoo.com/sweden-says-trump-criticism-virus-115036838.html

"They talk about Sweden, but Sweden is suffering very greatly," Trump told reporters.

The Swedish state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell:

“Yes, now, no one should take this too seriously. It is, of course, that all countries suffer from it here, more or less. Of course, it is very difficult in Sweden. Not least in the health sector. However, in comparison with the situation in New York, where I happen to have a relative that works, so it is still very good in Sweden,” said Tegnell.

In contrast to the american president claims Anders Tegnell, that herd immunity is the only way to go – either through the vaccine or by the fact that large parts of the population get the disease and become immune. 

“I don’t know what he thinks of it (the resistance against the herd-immunity, ed.), but those of us who work with infectious diseases know that this type of disease continues to spread, until we achieve immunity in the population. There is no other way to stop it.”

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, seven said:

“I don’t know what he thinks of it (the resistance against the herd-immunity, ed.), but those of us who work with infectious diseases know that this type of disease continues to spread, until we achieve immunity in the population. There is no other way to stop it.”

Well I am certainly not agreeing with Trump.

There are some studies starting to show up that those that had the virus and were asymptomatic or had very little illness did not create any/many antibodies and therefor are likely not immune. The latest I heard on this was today from a doctor on TV that was in the Obama administration in some major health capacity.

The only thing we really know about this virus is we don't know shit.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

BANGKOK — Bangkok City Hall is preparing to impose a ban on the sale of alcohol starting Friday with a stated aim to curb gatherings and coronavirus infection.

The ban, lasting 10 days at this stage, would be imposed in order to dissuade alcohol-fueled parties and gatherings, particularly at night where the 10pm to 4am curfew is already in effect nationwide, officials say.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2020/04/09/bangkok-to-ban-sale-of-booze-for-10-days-starting-friday/

• Like 1